Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mighty Plugs

I have a 2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 with a debaffled Arrow exhaust. Loud, so I use the Mighty Plugs. They are like Play Dough. Rub them around in your hands for about 20 secs, soften them up, and then jam them in your ear canal. Only thing that will kill the sound of that exhaust. It get them in a box of thirty or so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Anyone try the Eargasm High Fidelity Ear Plugs? (Can't wait for the comments on the name....) My hearing is in the normal range for my age, but right at the bottom of the scale. Wife had me get tested lol. Anyway, these claim to reduce road and wind noise, but allow me to listen to my Sena. Wondering if anyone has them, or how they would work.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Suggestion - I use a Sena with custom built ear plugs. This creates a perfect seal for the earplugs and kills a lot of background noise. It is very inexpensive and better than a lot of other configuations because you can purchase your own earbuds with a higher quality sound to them. I do recommend picking ones that are not too large. I had a really nice one but they stuck out too far and every time I took the helmet on or off they got caught on the helmet.

Attachments

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
129 Posts
Suggestion - I use a Sena with custom built ear plugs. This creates a perfect seal for the earplugs and kills a lot of background noise. It is very inexpensive and better than a lot of other configuations because you can purchase your own earbuds with a higher quality sound to them. I do recommend picking ones that are not too large. I had a really nice one but they stuck out too far and every time I took the helmet on or off they got caught on the helmet.
My Sena is Bluetooth to speakers mounted inside my helmet. I was reading how these high fidelity ear plugs would allow me to hear the music and reduce road noise. Seems hard to believe?

·
Registered
238 Posts
My Sena is Bluetooth to speakers mounted inside my helmet. I was reading how these high fidelity ear plugs would allow me to hear the music and reduce road noise. Seems hard to believe?
you use the crossover cable they sell for earbuds. - Amazon:
You use the Sena adapter cable for the earbuds:

Revzilla:

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
214 Posts
I use Ear Peace, yes spelled that way. They comes with a hard case and one extra plug. They give you three different inserts to allow different levels of sound deadening.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use Ear Peace, yes spelled that way. They comes with a hard case and one extra plug. They give you three different inserts to allow different levels of sound deadening.
Do they allow you to still hear your music, and yet deaden wind/road noise?

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
214 Posts
Do they allow you to still hear your music, and yet deaden wind/road noise?
Yes. But I have to qualify that everyone has different sensitivity to noise. This is evident based on reading this thread and other articles on this subject. I can say for sure that you can hear better with these plugs and eliminates most of the wind noise. However, from using different plugs, they all allow some noise. I find that this is very tolerable.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes. But I have to qualify that everyone has different sensitivity to noise. This is evident based on reading this thread and other articles on this subject. I can say for sure that you can hear better with these plugs and eliminates most of the wind noise. However, from using different plugs, they all allow some noise. I find that this is very tolerable.
Not sure I get this. These are earplugs with earbuds in them. They deaden the background noise while making the music and speech MUCH better (they are in the ear). In the end, I am not trying to convince you just let everyone know how these work. The are an improved process over the speakers in the helmet due to noise suppression and clearer speech/sounds. This is essentially the same principal F1 and Nascar drivers use. I am sure my Sena SMH10R is not at all as good as there units but the overall application is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure I get this. These are earplugs with earbuds in them. They deaden the background noise while making the music and speech MUCH better (they are in the ear). In the end, I am not trying to convince you just let everyone know how these work. The are an improved process over the speakers in the helmet due to noise suppression and clearer speech/sounds. This is essentially the same principal F1 and Nascar drivers use. I am sure my Sena SMH10R is not at all as good as there units but the overall application is the same.
My Shure SE215's are fantastic. They're quiet but the active noise canceling is great. I'm not sure how well they'll fit under a helmet or how wind proof the mic is but they've worked great for music

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just bought a set of Shure SE215-BT after looking at them for years. Primarily for working out at the gym but they may work on the bike. The problem with ear plugs is they get yanked out putting my helmet on, the Shure buds are low profile so I may try it.

79.00 bucks on Amazon and the sound quality is very good.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I wear these Howard Leight Lite Low Pressure disposal ear plugs. They are very comfortable and I've worn them on 12-14hr riding days. I buy them in bulks and don't re-use each pair for very long.

I can hear my Uclear bluetooth headset through them well enough. At max volume, the SPL is reduced down to about regular conversation loudness.

I too find in-ear headphones too easy to get yanked off putting helmet ON/OFF... not to mention a general nuisance to deal with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am no expert but I have hearing damage now from firearms, lawn equipment and power tools. Ear protection was not a priority growing up and I am 56 now with probably 85% hearing in my left and 90% in my right and ringing in the ears.

I did not even consider in helmet speakers because speakers have to overcome wind noise and that is too much in my opinion. Champion Helmets has good tests for many helmets but none are quiet.

Ear buds like Shure, and the custom fit buds are passive noise suppression, exactly what is most useful for use under helmets so the volume can be as low as possible to overcome the wind noise.

I use foam plugs if I leave town, most are typically over 30 NRR, if I don't my hearing is muffled for hours after a ride and that can't be good. I do have to cut a third off the link of the plugs to keep them in place pulling my helmet on.

Be safe!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I do have to cut a third off the link of the plugs to keep them in place pulling my helmet on.
If putting your helmet ON pulls the foam earplugs off, you are likely not installing them correctly. See here: How To Wear Soft Foam Earplugs

Properly installed, a good foam earplug should fill most of the outer ear canal. This not only helps with retention, it also keeps standing waves from forming inside your ear canal, which increases the effective noise level your ear drums sense.

There are lots of youtube vids that show how to install foam ear plugs. They all show the similar technique. Here's one with the Howard Leight plugs I use:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Senna 20S on the helmet, iPhone X playing iTunes Radio in my pocket, Klipsch buds in my ears.....I'm sure that my hearing would be better if I had this 25 yrs ago. Buy good buds the old adage of your equipment will only sound as good as your speakers is true.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I'm using the previous generation of those earbuds with a Cardo Freecom 2. I've tried two sets of speakers, even bought the 100$ JBL speaker upgrade to the cardo freecom. In the end I'm back at the ear buds. They sound the best without having to max out the volume to hear over 60mph. They really cut down on wind noise with the foam tips but I can still hear the bike if the volume isn't too high. Only complaint is putting the helmet on take finesse.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If putting your helmet ON pulls the foam earplugs off, you are likely not installing them correctly. See here: How To Wear Soft Foam Earplugs

Properly installed, a good foam earplug should fill most of the outer ear canal. This not only helps with retention, it also keeps standing waves from forming inside your ear canal, which increases the effective noise level your ear drums sense.

There are lots of youtube vids that show how to install foam ear plugs. They all show the similar technique. Here's one with the Howard Leight plugs I use:
Thanks for the review. I'm just thinking as i get older I may want a more upright seating position. I'll be 50 soon and my back isn't what it used to be. Honestly thinking more about an FJR when the time comes but wanted an opinion on the tracer. I can get both for the same price now.
Thanks again

That is the technique I use and I simply have very narrow ear canals and the right side has a kink.

I roll those babies to about 1/8" in diameter and work fast especially on the right ear, but cutting off a 1/3 works for me.

I use the smallest silicone sleeves with the Shure 215's and they are still a bit large.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Can I ask a dumb question, please? If you have something like the Sena 20s, as mentioned before, what can you do with it? Are you taking phone calls? Music? Talking to other riders that are with you? Noise isolation?

Lsx, I have that same issue with my ear canal, among others. When I was 40, I had to have the surgery like they do for kids where they cut your ear drum and insert the tubes. The surgery waiting room was fun. Lots of 5 yr old, with their moms, and me.

After surgery, the nurses messed with me....."would you like a POPSICLE sweetie?" No, how about a beer?

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
191 Posts
RC I have a Sena. You can do all that you mentioned. You can even talk to more than 1 rider in a group. It synchs via bluetooth to your phone. You can receive calls and listen to music. And it acts like an intercom with other Sena devices.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts