Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
641 Posts
Here's an older vid from FortNine about the RoadSmart (older version) but you'll get the gist ...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well the S22s are in the hypersport department, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had better grip, but feedback?? naaaah never, nothing beats Dunlops in that department I guess. I was used to putting M9RRs and Diablo Rossos/Corsa2s on my bikes and that was a big mistake for my kind of skills, cause I always tried to find their limits and found myself in multiple occasions saved by the cornering abs. Morale of the story? I'm better having a tire with less grip and you hone your skills within that range and also limit yourself from doing dumb stuff in the streets xD
I'm all for avoiding dumb stuff on the streets, actually anywhere, anytime. Like all tires there is a sweet spot for settings and I never had a problem getting feedback from S21/S22 tires long before the N1K and the cornering aids. I'm not arguing that Dunlops present the best feedback for you and your riding. However, at this point for me, I'm more comfortable with the Hypersports because I have so many more miles on them with several different bikes. I may never get the RS4's to the edge point of the S22's because I'm not riding that style on the streets anymore and I doubt I will have an opportunity to hit the track in the next few years. With that said, I'm not disappointed in the RS4's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quick question: has anyone by any chance measured the tread depth of RS4s rear tire in 190/50 when they installed them as new tires?
Forgot to measure it at the start and now i'm at 8k km and just out of curiosity wanted to see how much tread depth I've used till now. No changes in performance btw. Still as lovely as the first day, no squaring off at the back and the tread seems to be somewhere a bit more than half of its life left....
Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I did not measure mine, but now that you brought it up I'm curious. Where are you measuring depth on the tire? I have 5.1k km on mine. To the deepest part of the divot closest to the centerline of the tire it shows 4.8 mm. Mine may have squared off a very small amount, that doesn't effective handling. I noticed the RS4 new was not as round at the centerline as the S22's. When I installed the RS4's I had already moved to a location that requires much shorter distances to the twisties I ride a lot, so I'm expecting even the s22's would have less squaring off at my current mileage, however from experience of at least ten sets of s21/s22 previously I'm sure the s22's would have more of a flat centerline than the RS4 do.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
We are always buying new tires. We should record some measurements for tread depth when we do this. If we had good measurements, it might be useful?

I'll bet they are all similar in that you have to be on a 17" rim. If you added even an extra 2-3 mm of tread, you would break out of the tire size and cause TC or abs issues?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sooo decided to make some tread depth measurements today and I came up with this numbers:

for 8k+ kms of which (1k+ 2 up and a top box) plus some wheelies of recently in the last 200km and lots and lots of spirited riding, where I often see the whole tire under this heat cycle effect from side to side front and back - at the rear I measured 3.2 - 3.3 mm at the most center tread to 4.8 - 5mm a the side walls.

Hope that helps xD

·
Registered
752 Posts
That sounds pretty close to my wear, if adjusting for the mileage difference (I'm at 5.1 km) and I haven't been aggressively riding these tires. I found two wear indicators, the one closest to the centerline reads 3.7 mm and the one that is off center (but not at the edge) is 4.7 mm.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sounds pretty close to my wear, if adjusting for the mileage difference (I'm at 5.1 km) and I haven't been aggressively riding these tires. I found two wear indicators, the one closest to the centerline reads 3.7 mm and the one that is off center (but not at the edge) is 4.7 mm.
I didn't measure on the wear indicators, rather directly at the bottom with multiple measurements and came out with an average depth for both cases. I think the wear indicator is at a height of 1.5-1.6 mm which need to be added to your numbers if I understood you correctly.

I did notice something interesting though, you know how they say that when you swap tires most of the time you change the rear twice and the front once? Yeee that's kind of not the case here, just out of curiosity I did check the front a bit later after the tread depth measurements and without a doubt I can say that the front will at most reach 30-40% plus of additional mileage compared to the rear and not more. I dont see that as a bad sign as much as good one, which explains the great front end feel and grip of this tires...

·
Registered
752 Posts
The measure in my previous post to the bottom of the divot is what I was comparing to your latest measure. I post to the wear marks for my reference in the future as it is a specific place I can return to in a few more thousand km.

I have never had two rears to a front. It's generally been in around your estimate 30-40% left, so I have always replaced a set. That is for the past 15 years. Prior to that I was excited if I had matched tires and no threads showing!!!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts