Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the Q3+ stick better than the M9RR but the Metzelers last a little longer. I got the M9RRs as a compromise between a sport tire and a ST tire. They worked well for that and they're a decent winter tire.
Naaaah i think you are wrong, the M9RR are a great value for money in this sector, I have driven them in -2 and -3 celsius temps and they still give quite a great grip even without warming up properly and in the midst of the summer at +40 celsius they still dont end up lossing grip (with lean angle showing 51 on te left and 50 on the right on street tarmac). I have achieved 7-8k kms on my old Z900 on 180/55 which is pretty good for a sport tire of this class. What you mean by the Q3+ sticking better is the fact that they are maybe 20% more track oriented plus the harder case of the Dunlops which give more feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Yes, I wrote "next month" in February. In fact, I just went on-line and did a rebate check to be sure and it's going on for the month of March.
Just as a reminder for our American viewers...The Dunlop $60 rebate for a pair of Dunlop RS3s or RS4s ends at the end of April. Dealer bought only, no internet sales.

And @Eagle Six is correct, $20 per tire and $20 for any dealer service visit. Turns out my service center (Seattle Cycle Center) is a Dunlop Pro dealer and offers free mount/balance if you take in the wheels. They did end up charging me $12 for "shop supplies" last time.

I won't be able to report on the RS4s. They're significantly more expensive than the RS3s and I liked the last few sets of RS3s so that's what I went with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After 2 years of running Pirelli Angel GT2s, and riding with lots of sport bike guys who can really run the corners, I had to do serious thinking about why cornering for me was such a battle when it looked so easy for all of them. Sure enough, the profile of the Angels are really square, so no matter how hard you're pusshing the handlebars, it wanted to go vertical, and I had many a hairy time riding with them when I felt pretty paranoid. Last fall, traded with my pal who has a Yamaha 1000, and just could not believe how bloody easy cornering was, and he was equally amazed at what a war it was on mine. From that moment, I knew I had to move to a different tire and my research led me to the Dunlop RS4s. I couldn't be happier with them even if I have not pushed them much, but apparently they get incredibly long life coupled with good performance.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
569 Posts
Rs4 is a good compromise between grippy and longevity.
Currently, I have Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II on my Cb1000r and it made the bike the most flickable among all my bikes. But, for long distance, I think RS4 is one of the gold standards, like Micheline Road5 and 6.

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Registered
50 Posts
After 2 years of running Pirelli Angel GT2s, and riding with lots of sport bike guys who can really run the corners, I had to do serious thinking about why cornering for me was such a battle when it looked so easy for all of them. Sure enough, the profile of the Angels are really square, so no matter how hard you're pusshing the handlebars, it wanted to go vertical, and I had many a hairy time riding with them when I felt pretty paranoid. Last fall, traded with my pal who has a Yamaha 1000, and just could not believe how bloody easy cornering was, and he was equally amazed at what a war it was on mine. From that moment, I knew I had to move to a different tire and my research led me to the Dunlop RS4s. I couldn't be happier with them even if I have not pushed them much, but apparently they get incredibly long life coupled with good performance.
Are you running a 50 profile at the back or a 55??
Cause I have been running with a 55 profile for nearly 10k km now and i'm really curios to switch to the 50 back just for that extra acceleration that I get back for the lowered centrifugal mass.... (2021 one model)

·
Registered
854 Posts
You would hope the M9s are an improvement. I haven't ran a set of M7s since they first came out and back then I preferred the Q3s for sport tires.
I agree. The Q3, or the Q3 Plus are better sport tires but they did wear out more quickly than the M7RR's. The Q3 also provided better cornering feel. I thought the M7RR were still quite up to the task and at the time I was getting them dirt cheap so I ran a few sets of them. They were surprisingly good in the wet.

The best performing sport tire I have run on the street so far is the Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2. But they are expensive and don't last.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you running a 50 profile at the back or a 55??
Cause I have been running with a 55 profile for nearly 10k km now and i'm really curios to switch to the 50 back just for that extra acceleration that I get back for the lowered centrifugal mass.... (2021 one model)
With the Pirellis, I used a 55, but went back to 50s with the Dunlops.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I switched from S22's to RS4's two weeks ago. Just got out on them a couple days ago. I wasn't disappointed. So far, I think they are a good sport touring tire, predictable, platted, easy in and out of turns. Traction is more than adequate for spirited riding, although I haven't approached track type of lean angles as yet. I switched to try something that may keep the confidence and extend the mileage. It will be next year most likely before I can see how they last.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
569 Posts
I switched from S22's to RS4's two weeks ago. Just got out on them a couple days ago. I wasn't disappointed. So far, I think they are a good sport touring tire, predictable, platted, easy in and out of turns. Traction is more than adequate for spirited riding, although I haven't approached track type of lean angles as yet. I switched to try something that may keep the confidence and extend the mileage. It will be next year most likely before I can see how they last.
Yea, RS4 is not a track tire.
For that it's advisable to use Q3+ or Q4.

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got my first 150kms on my brand new set of RS4s (190/50), comming from a set of TTs (Q3+ for you guys) in 55 profile. I can say one thing for sure, I dont miss the agility of the 55 at the back at all! The steeper front profile compensates at nearly 80-90% for that, but ooohhh man did I miss that acceleration of the stock tire profile, comfort and brake 🤤

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just got my first 150kms on my brand new set of RS4s (190/50), comming from a set of TTs (Q3+ for you guys) in 55 profile. I can say one thing for sure, I dont miss the agility of the 55 at the back at all! The steeper front profile compensates at nearly 80-90% for that, but ooohhh man did I miss that acceleration of the stock tire profile, comfort and brake 🤤
Interesting. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine is the 2021 model, but maaaybe the fact I'm on aftermarket headers & slip-on, might have removed some weight and made the bike even more agile....

Also titanium bolts on brake calipers, mounts, rear sprocket and footpegs , but I doubt they did much of a difference 🤪
Yes, lightening up the bike helps a lot.

Mine is a 2016, and has a different frame geometry than the 2021. (less agile with the 190 tire, sluggish turn in).

I’m curious about the 190 profile offering greater comfort? Would the “shape” offer more “flex” on a rough road? Or the slightly lower unsprung weight would offer a better suspension response to the bumps and potholes in the road?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, lightening up the bike helps a lot.

Mine is a 2016, and has a different frame geometry than the 2021. (less agile with the 190 tire, sluggish turn in).

I’m curious about the 190 profile offering greater comfort? Would the “shape” offer more “flex” on a rough road? Or the slightly lower unsprung weight would offer a better suspension response to the bumps and potholes in the road?
I would say with certainty that the 50 profile doesnt lose against the 55 on the comfort area, as you said the lower unsprung weight makes the whole chassis feel.....calmer. On this model i think the 50 profile is more than enough and the 55 profile only if you are squeezing the hell out of thr corners(which i think the suspension will still limit you even at full preaload)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts