Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Stock tires are done after 5400 miles.
Since I got about 6,000k from the OEMs I think I will go back to S22.
That's quite the difference in mileage on the OEM tires. 6000 km is a little under 3800 miles. Mine are at about 3300 right now, and I'm showing 4/32 on the rear and 3-4/32 on the front. Been looking at new tires myself. Probably will grab a set of the Roadsmart 4's if I can find them.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I've never been in a heavy duty rain storm where I felt the need to go full speed. Slower speed. Less lean. Common sense things.

Even a full on race tire works ok in the worst of storms. Especially if you slow down and have abs and traction control.

I did not read about one weather related motorcycle crash, last year. Every picture I saw , of a crash, was on dry roads. I think they play to this unreasonable fear, and it's fine if dry performance doesn't suffer, but Pirelli went too far. Just like Michelin did with the pr3.

At that point, it will be several generations before they can bury the goofy pattern as it would be admitting to a mistake.

I don't know what I would do if I had to pay bike shop tire prices. The tire costs there would smoke me question owning a large bike .

Reactions: Pmack

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree that "common sense" riding in consistent rain is the way to go, but I have been caught out a couple of times when coming around a "blind / obscured" corner on an otherwise dry road and at a fair speed, only to find a "river" of water running directly across it. That is when the "wet weather" grip really comes into play.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I could see that, but how crazy would you be to base a tire around that specific incident rather than you round a corner, on a dry day, and a heard of Kangaroo are there? Or a ball of Death Adders like you guys have in Australia. The better dry performance might have saved you. I can find ice spots here.

I like the st grade tires when it's cold out. When it's 40 -50 degrees, I think they would outperform a more sport oriented tire.

I'll look around, but I don't see myself buyi g anything but Pirelli AGT, originals. That tire beat several generations of Michelin and Brigestone tires in Motorrad tests.

I believe Motorrad is German, but they are like a Consumer Reports for Motorcycles. The original agt also did great in the wet tests, so it's not like that gets lost.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I did some Googling for tyre performance comparisons and found an interesting site at https://www.mototirereviews.com/

What I found interesting was that in the Pro/Cons for the Angel GT2 they mention the problem with the front trye "following" the rain grooves, and for the RoadTec01 they mentioned the terrible howling noise the front tyre made on some road surfaces. These are exactly the same problems I have encounter.

They also made reference to the Motorad website that RC mentioned previously. The T31 has been replaced by the T32, so I might see if I can find a comparison on the Bridgestone T32 vs S22. The tread patterns look very similar, with perhaps a few more side sipes on the T32.

Here is their summary :--
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had new tyres fitted last week: Michelin Power 5
Man those stick!

The carcass is harder than the one on the OEM S22, making the ride a little stiffer (read, adjust suspension a little to have the same comfortable ride), but they make the bike so easy to turn.

I still have to try them in the rain, but on dry roads, they really stick like glue and warm up really quick. The OEM S22 never gave me much confidence because they just suddenly let go on dry roads, and in the wet, they always felt like ice skating the bike.

I don't know how long they will last, but they're already more than worth their money.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
There is something to be said for the newest tire designs, I would imagine?

Let's use the T32 as the example. Brigestone built that tire and would have been able to compare it to an AGT, the Dunlops or the Michelin series. They wouldn't release it unless it was a better tire, in some meaningful way, would they? I guess we hope they wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Just got back from the shop with a new set of Roadsmart 3s. Include the rebate and it was just under $290. I never thought I'd skimp on mc tires but it seems these tires perform well enough for me, give me a better feel than the Road 5s I came from on the '18 Ninja, give me long enough mileage and have worked their way into the low price bin as well.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Looking at the front tyre tread pattern, I can see why the Michelin Power 5 has such great grip in the dry as it has much less sipes than most of the other tyres, so I will be interested in how it performs in the wet.

The Road 5s have a sipe pattern across the face of the tyre, similar to the Roadtec 01, which I hated so they are definately off my list.

The Roadsmart 3s have a tread pattern similar in some ways to the Metzler Z8, my all-time favourite tyre, so I will look into them, but at the moment, I'm kind of leaning towards the Bridgestone T32, which seems to be very similar to the Z8 pattern.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Wheel

·
Registered
482 Posts
The problem I have with tyres is "What If" - You can't 100% say that "X" tyre isn't better for you then "Y" tyre - I want to try them all - Lol - I was always a Metzler user on my GSXR and when I got the MT10 serviced I was asking the service manager about tyres as they had heaps of Metzler in stock - He was saying that the Metzler offered the best cheaper option - you were getting a great tyre for less money than a lot of other brands now - I was thinking Pilot 6's for my replacements and they will work out to about $650 AUD for the set.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Pilot Road 6 is now known as a Road 6 and has a similar sipe pattern as the Road 5.
They claim better wet performance on the 6 is pretty much it I believe - Also thought about Powers as well - I am actually in the minority on the Bridgestone 20 and like them so far too - lool so shows I should probably not talk about any tyres

·
Registered
99 Posts
Been running Pirelli Angel GT tires for several hunderd miles so far. My feeling is that they are a bit harder in the sidewalls than the stock. Seems it takes a little more to lean the bike over. The roads and air temps are still a bit cold, so I can't say that I've push it much yet. I'm hoping for a little more performance when it warms up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Been running Pirelli Angel GT tires for several hunderd miles so far. My feeling is that they are a bit harder in the sidewalls than the stock. Seems it takes a little more to lean the bike over. The roads and air temps are still a bit cold, so I can't say that I've push it much yet. I'm hoping for a little more performance when it warms up.

I ran that tire for 2 seasons Adrexco, and the best move I have ever made on my Ninja was in going to the Roadsmart 4s. My bike went from battling every corner at higher speeds while having to concentrate like mad every foot of the way, to just leaning a little and letting the bike and tire take care of themselves. I was just amazed at how easy cornering is with a tire designed to actually do that, versus the Pirellis, which are great for longevity and the straights, but in my mind, useless for handling in a sports bike fashion.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
202 Posts
I really liked my RS3s, but the price was a little irritating for 6-7k miles of life. My riding buddy with the exact same year Ninja as me turned me on to Pirelli Angel STs. We buy them off Amazon for $220 per set and we both get 5-8k off the rears depending on how many longer trips we do. So far I’ve had no complaints other than they seem to take longer to be compliant if it’s cold outside. Seeing as I live in CA, not a huge deal outside of Dec-Jan. It also makes it not as gut wrenching to get a puncture, which I seem to get once a year.

the reviews on Amazon are hilarious by the way. Most people don’t know how to read a date code. Every set we’ve gotten has been no more than 4 months old.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
Hey Murphy, what tyres did you end up putting on??
(and what was the price?)

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Hey Murphy, what tyres did you end up putting on?? (and what was the price?)
I decided to get one more trip out of the GT2s which I completed last week, so I haven't got the new tyres yet. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone either the S22 or a T32, but I need to check on the availability as stock shortages are a problem everywhere.

I'll let you know once it is all done.

In the meantime, here is a interesting video. ( yes, I know that it biased, but what "review" isn't )

·
Registered
482 Posts
I decided to get one more trip out of the GT2s which I completed last week, so I haven't got the new tyres yet. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone either the S22 or a T32, but I need to check on the availability as stock shortages are a problem everywhere.

I'll let you know once it is all done.
Friend has the T32 on his 2018 SX - He rates it very highly - He is on of those riders that doesn't seem to be going fast but you can never catch :)

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got about 2500 miles on my dunlop rs4's and I'm pretty happy with them. Turn in seems more sensitive to cold pressure than the s22, and it takes a little more effort to initiate a turn, but grip has been great (dragging peg feelers) with lots of feel from the front - seems like more than the oem s22 (i got 5k mi out of them, rear was done, front had another 1k-1500 left). Holds a line with minimal bar pressure. Ride quality is definitely plusher them s22. I generally liked the oem s22 but a) they were bad in the cold - they were not happy running below freezing. RS4 is great, a little stiffer than normal for a mile or two, but grip was there, and b) 5k mi life is less than i expect.

I had Michelin road 4 + 5 on my previous bike and while they were ok (i found them to feel very similar), they were a little slow steering and numb to me. Always had grip, but i never felt super confident near the limit. They did last 8-12k mi depending on usage (local scratching or long trips)

If i get close to 10k mi I'll be very happy. I find the steering much more intuitive than the Michelin so far, no complaints on dry grip. Haven't been caught in big rain yet, but the couple small showers haven't revealed anything ugly. i ride ultra conservative in those conditions though..

ahm

21 - 40 of 40 Posts