Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm up for a new front tyre soon, so decided to do some research and ask for feedback.

On my old ZRX1200, I used multiple sets of Metzler Z6 tyres. I really loved that tyre but they were taken off the market so I tried a set of Metzler Roadtec 01. That was a mistake because it was a horrible tyre and I quickly swapped over to Pirelli Angel GTs, which proved to be a good tyre. This was not surprising as Pirelli owns Metzler and the tread pattern on the Angel GT was very similar to the Z6.

Fast forward to when the time came to replace the OEM tyres on my N1K, and I went with the new Pirelli Angel GT 2, front & back. In just about all circumstances, it is a very good tyre, except when it comes to grooved roads. The front tyre becomes "twitchy" and hunts back and forth between the grooves, and that is in the dry. Add rain, and the tyre is kind of scary. It is so bad, that I now take a 40 km detour to avoid the Newcastle Freeway which has an extended section of grooved road surface.

I soon be needing a new set of tyres, and I am thinking of trying the Dunlop RoadSmart 4. From what I have read here on the Forum, the RS3 gets very good reports, but does anyone have first hand N1K experience with the RS4 ??

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Use the search function. @arthury reported his RS4s work great.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did performed a search (perhaps badly) and found the discussion from July 2021 started by @arthury, but I did not find any comments from him about actually RS4 performance. I did find a comment by @OCL saying that he was happy with the RS4 and that they were a good tyre, but I was kind of hoping for more than just 1 opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Not a lot of discussion probably because the RS4 just came out last year. Stick around and I'll give you my report in a couple months. :)

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
568 Posts
Hi @Murphyau ,

I think the RS4 is in the same league as Michelin Power 5 (now Power 6). They are for sports touring use.
I have used it in the entire last season over different road conditions and I did not have any complaints in terms of performance.
I have not taken it to the track, though, if that was what you had in mind.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have run a couple sets of the RS3 on my Ninja 1000 and they did everything I asked of them and gave good mileage as well. The feel like they lean toward the sport side of the sport touring tire equation.

Reactions: Bc2

·
Registered
99 Posts
New set of Pirelli Angel GT just arrived. Stock tires are done after 5400 miles. I was disappointed to see that the GTs are made in China. I hope I like the GTs on the N1K as much as I did on the C14.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they are the older Angel GT, then you should be good, but if they are the newer Angel GT2, then I think you will be disappointed if you have to ride over any rain-grooved roads.

I know I was.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 1000
18 Posts
I can't wait to change out the Angel GT 2s that I'm running now. I just can't get a feel for them which means I just don't have confidence. Makes it worse coming from the S22s that came with the bike. Going to Road 5/6 for next set.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They're the original Angel GT, I didn't like the GT2 rain tire design. I still thinks the best bang for the buck are the Angel ST. I sprang for the GTs since my wife's bike needed tires also and she wanted GTs so I took the upgrade :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
I can't wait to change out the Angel GT 2s that I'm running now. I just can't get a feel for them which means I just don't have confidence. Makes it worse coming from the S22s that came with the bike. Going to Road 5/6 for next set.
Totally agree about the lack of feel/confidence. Since I got about 6,000k from the OEMs I think I will go back to S22. The originals felt great - they are a Sports tyre and my replacement GT 2s are Sport Touring tyres, will be interesting to see how many K's I get out of them.

Although, when the time comes, it might depend on what's available the way the supply/price situation is going - could be tempted by another Sport tyre like a Pirelli Rosso 3 or another Sport Touring like Bridgestone T32.

Have used Michelin Road 2, 4 and 5s over the years (missed out on the terrible 3s) and was generally happy with them, but again they are a Sport Touring tyre and my 2021 N1K felt great on the OEM S22s Sports tyre.

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 1000
18 Posts
Totally agree about the lack of feel/confidence. Since I got about 6,000k from the OEMs I think I will go back to S22. The originals felt great - they are a Sports tyre and my replacement GT 2s are Sport Touring tyres, will be interesting to see how many K's I get out of them.
Based on how the Road 3s went on my LAMS MT07 on road and on track I'll be very happy to go the Road 5 or 6 whatever is current. I have S22s on my ZX6 track bike and they are so sticky!

·
Registered
2018 Ninja 1000
18 Posts
I wanted a sport touring tyre to get better life vs sports tyre and I was going to go the Road 4 at the time but the guy at the shop steered me to the GT2s. I figured I'd try them and see what they were like. Now I know. But then others rave about them so horses for courses.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I also wanted a Sport-Touring tyre, (great performance in the wet, reasonable tyre life) and the guy at the shop wanted to steer me towards a new model of Bridgestone (I can't recall what, maybe a S22 ??)

I was stupid and insisted on the GT2. I mean everyone knows that all European tyres are way better than a Bridgestone. Wrong.

There does not seem to be a lot different between rear tyre brands, but I am now realising that the tread pattern on the front tyre is critical.

The Metzler Z6 & Z8, my all time favourites, have a tread pattern like the RS3 & 4. The Metzler RoadTec01 has a weird half-moon shape that I hated, and the GT2 have a central "strip" pattern. that seems to cause the problem with the rain-grooved roads and the GT is more like the RS3, RS4, Z8.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
The S22 is a Sport tyre - they might have been trying to steer you towards the previous generation Bridgestone Sport-Touring T31.
Speaking of previous generation - your MY19 come with Bridgestone's Sport tyre S21. Apparently the latest S22 is heaps better - can't comment from personal experience as I've only used the S22 on a slightly different N1K regarding trail/rake/whatever.
but I am now realising that the tread pattern on the front tyre is critical.
Totally agree with this - Looking at your pics of the GT2, which I've now got, with the previous GT I think I would have been better off with the GT.
Some of the latest Sport-Touring tyres seem to be trying to match and/or outdo Michelin's Road 5 with rain grooves/snipes for marketing purposes.
The GT2 compared to the GT above is a perfect example.

Reactions: SpeedyGiraffe

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
223 Posts
This Australian on-line retailer's website is good for comparing prices.
It's also good for checking out what are the equivalent tyres from the manufactures within different categories like Track, or Sport or Sport-Touring:
Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse | Australia's Largest Online Motorcycle Tyre Warehouse
I then find it easier to compare reviews or prices for tyres in the same sizes and categories

Reactions: SpeedyGiraffe

·
Registered
482 Posts
Tyres are just plain old too hard - I want to try them all - I have Pilot Roads and Angel GTs on all my bikes at the moment but used to always use Metzler and have heard good stuff about all the other brands - its soo hard to do enough K's to justify changing them all the time :)

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Murph, Michelin did the step backwards thing when they tried to update their old PR 2.

It sounds like Pirelli did the same thing. I think the tires are being updated for people who are terrified of rain?

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1K
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I think you may be right, RC. Perhaps they manufacturers wanted to win the "best rain tyre" in the various magazine annual "side by side" comparisons.

Trouble is, with the exception of the grooved highway, the GT2 was a good tyre.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a set of RS4 in the garage I will be mounted next week. I've run S21's and S22's and happy with them, just have an etch to try the RS4's. Rain stability isn't the most important aspect for me, but it is important. I don't purposely ride in the rain, but when I get stuck in it, it can be hazardous, extremely heavy, high winds and most often includes falling temperatures and pounding hail during our monsoon season. Dry traction and handling are my primary concern, then wet traction and mileage/cost. The S22's are pretty much good at all that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts