Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try a new tire, something with more longevity than the dunlop Q2/3s I have been using.....read up on some sport touring treads and looked at prices for a Q3+s, Pirelli angel gts or metz roadtec 01s. Dealer had the metz in stock and as I leave monday for a multiday trip, took the chance.

Not sure if that was the right choice. Tires feel kinda...I dunno, rolly? High profile? Im missing my Q3s, much more predictable and planted I think. Hard to say with only 50k down, will see.

Any comments on these either way?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok a day later and some 3 hours of riding in and these tires are better than I first thought. Shaking off my new tire fears helped. Also took some getting used to the new ecu and full akra system at the same time so that may have not helped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, Dunlop Q3 and Roadtec 1 aren't even in the same category so I am sure Roadtec 1 doesn't feel as sporty or grippy compared to Q3s. But I think Roadtec 1 is decent enough tire for everything other than track usage. Plus, it doesn't need to be replaced every 5000 miles :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wont be tracking my ninja anytime soon (except maybe the new Area 27 up here, that does look delicious) so 98% of the grip of a sport tire with way more mileage sounded good to me!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just replaced M7-RRs with the Roadtec 01's. I really like them. I've got my forks raised in the triples (5 or 7mm, can't remember) and 190/55 rear. To me the bike felt like it wanted to fall into curves with the M7's with the top of an egg profile.

The Roadtec 01 has a bottom of an egg profile and turn in feels more linear and I really like it. They seem to grip great, haven't had them in the rain yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will be trying the Roadtecs next. They won the recent MCN test against the GTs, PR4s and half a dozen other tyres.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Ok a day later and some 3 hours of riding in and these tires are better than I first thought. Shaking off my new tire fears helped. Also took some getting used to the new ecu and full akra system at the same time so that may have not helped.
All the reviews look really good you'll have to let us know how you like them after you return. Does the rear have the raised center profile like a track tire or is that just the picture I looked upped and its actually nice round?

·
Registered
560 Posts
A good sport touring tire like the Roadtec 01 is pretty much all anyone would ever need on this bike for the street as they provide more than enough grip for spirited riding. I have pushed the Roadsmart II pretty hard in cornering and they stick quite well and give good mileage.

However I did just scuff in a set of the Q3+ this weekend on my ZX6R and they are superb!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All in all Id have to say these tires have got the job done. Ive been to baker city and back this summer along with some other side trips and the often used local canyons. Only once did I have some real confidence issues in them when I pressed them hard for sometime on the roadtrip right after I got them, they got a little greasy on the longest stretch of twisties and I didnt like that. But checking the pressure afterwards showed the guys at the shop had overfilled them! So hard to say what contributed to what there...

So far so good, more or less.

·
Registered
315 Posts
loved my Q3's on the GSXR but I can't imagine they'll last long?? Even on the GSXR they were solidly half worn about 1000/1200 miles in... Same bike I was getting almost 5000 out of a set of Michelin PP2ct's....

·
Registered
670 Posts
I just replaced M7-RRs with the Roadtec 01's. I really like them. I've got my forks raised in the triples (5 or 7mm, can't remember) and 190/55 rear. To me the bike felt like it wanted to fall into curves with the M7's with the top of an egg profile.

The Roadtec 01 has a bottom of an egg profile and turn in feels more linear and I really like it. They seem to grip great, haven't had them in the rain yet.
I agree with your observation on the M7RR. I love everything about this tyre. But, the profile of the front tyre does make the bike drop into a turn. I observe this characteristic in slow speed turns only.

I would be eager to hear more from you on the Roadtec 01.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Talooooooooooooooonz, haha......hi!

No experience with the 01's, but plenty of experience with the Q3's and Q3+ (which I love). The + are more expensive but they gave me exactly 50% more tire life (7,000kms versus 4,500). It's gonna take a heck of an argument from someone to get me to switch off the pluses now.

This is the first year where I haven't done John Day, Baker City, Grangeville, Lewiston etc. Lucky you

·
Registered
10,519 Posts
Do we have a match for the dunlop you see in all the British mags? They call it the "SportSmart TT" Introduced earlier , this year, I believe?

I would buy it because it has the words, "TT"...I guess that is kind-of a word? Plus, I like the looks of its tread pattern.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Riding buddy of mine who likes trying all sorts of different tires just put on a set of Pirelli Rosso Corsa II...….he says they are superb and likes them better than the Q3 Plus. Anyone else try them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts