Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put their N1K on a diet? I've already done slip-ons and will be getting a lithium ion battery real soon. I will also complete the exhaust system as soon as I can to both drop weight and allow it to breath better. I have a set of Apex clip-ons on the way. Beyond that does anyone know where weight can be dropped besides ditching the plastics?

·
Registered
367 Posts
- everything of exhaust
- rear sets (very heavy for what they are)
- rear passenger feet pegs + exhaust holder
- grab handles
- lithium ion battery
- exhaust heat shield (never had problems with heat)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I put myself on a diet instead of the Ninja, down from 180lbs to 155lbs ;)

Well, I did replace the full exhaust system, but not for weight reduction but for adding power.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Most of the weight to be reduced is in the exhaust headers and cans, and the battery. After that, not sure how much benefit there is chasing weight reduction for the average rider.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Day, I saw a set of those in real life. They look like 4 grand is a reasonable price. I would be scared to use them for fear of wearing out the tire., then having to change the tire .....sort of look. Its always worth reduction weight because it feels good. Look for areas where you get a lighter component AND better performance. Things like brake calipers or a shock come to mind. On this specific bike, the rearsets are heavy. Dollar for dollar, you cant beat the shorai battery.

·
Registered
367 Posts
another one I forgot.

Brembo Oro discs instead of the OEM ones.
They are thinner and lighter.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Another thing I never really understood.

People spent +2K to have wheels that are 100-200 gram lighter.
There is a huge weight difference between tires (more then 200 gram between models) ... and this weight actually counts a lot (as it is on the outside), but nobody mentions tire weight ...

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
367 Posts
other things to consider.

Remove exhaust valves (almost a kg)
Remove clean air system (almost a kg)
Ivan's airbox mod (- 30 gram :D )

Rcannon is right about the rearsets.
My Lightech ones must weight something like 250 gram a piece, maybe 350 grams.
The OEM ones weight well over 2kg a piece.

Same for the exhaust holders. Valter Moto ones = 200 grams a piece (or something like that), OEM + 2.5kg.
I wished I wasn't so lazy ... I forgot 4 months to buy those stupid tiny circular batteries for my weight scale. My plan was to weight every piece I replaced and share it with the rest. It's still a guessing game for me till now.

And other things:
Supersprox rear sprocket (+50% alu)
520 3D chain (very expensive, but lots of weight reduction and as strong as the 525 OEM chain).

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
Exp, tires are a fun one. Even more when you have a row of "identical" tires and they all have different weights. I've seen 1/2 lb difference on tires with identical markings.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Weight

a interesting factoid or not.......the more you run a set of tires the lighter they get.....i have angel gts on and will weigh them when i change to a new set of angels just to see what the difference is...i guess i have to much time on my hands

·
Registered
709 Posts
BST Carbon Fiber Wheels. If you are going to save mass, save it where it can make the most difference. Not cheap but amazing how a lightweight set of wheels can make a huge difference. Acceleration and handling is usually dramatically improved.

Not cheap but what a nice way to drop $4k.

https://www.brocksperformance.com/Kawasaki-Z1000+C280.aspx
Had to make a new folder for this link. Before this I had a "Motorcycle Stuff" folder with the following subfolders:
Mods
Gear
Skills
Fitness

Now I had to add a "Dreams" subfolder :D

Seriously, I did.

·
Registered
828 Posts
EM - I do check the tire weights when I am obsessive about it. It was amazing on my car what a difference there was in tires that looked very similar. There was a difference of about 2kg PER tire. It was crazy difference.

If I were to go with the BST, I'd mount a set of lightweight, high performance tires for when I really wanted to rip up the road and then go with the factory ones for touring.

A guy just bought a set for his S1000XR. Between front and rear saved over 11kg, almost 25 pounds! They aren't super heavy wheels either. The rear alone went from 35 down to 14 pounds (including cush drive)

Using a 520 chain (of sufficient strength) not only saves weight but usually increases HP & TQ as well. A win, win, WIN! It has been interesting to watch how people shaved a lot of weight of the ZX14R's and made them much lighter. One guy has been doing that to the S1000XR.

He has shaved off about 40 pounds and likely will go with the BST or comparable, carbon wheels. If I would keep the same bike, and I knew the wheels would fit, I'd probably drop the money on them. It would be a long term investment so to speak. Just need to be anal about changing tires like RC said. I took the Shorai out of my K16 and dropped in the XR. It was a bit of overkill for the CCA but still SO much lighter than stock and that weight is up high too.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
If he saved that much weight, over BMW wheels, then the BMW wheels were horrible to begin with. Probably possible since they do offer an upgraded wheel package. A 20,000 xr is nto quite enough money to qualify for the good wheels, I suppose. On an older r1 Yamaha, sport rider magazine saved only 11 lbs by switching to the two carbon rims. For sure a nice reduction, but its not 25lbs worth.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The front wasn't much savings about 3 pounds. The rear though seems good awful heavy, 32 pounds with the cush drive and spocket. The BST is around 13 w/cush drive. I don't know if they made them a bit heavier as at one time they actually thought someone would ride it offroad, and some have, or what? Then again a 17" up front is not the way to go offroad anyway not to mention an cast wheel.

The guy who swapped said the rear cush hub on the stock rim was definitely a lot heavier by feel but he didn't way it. The BST wheels save a few pounds too even over the optional BMW HP4 wheels which are pretty light. Anyway 4k is a lot to drop on one mod. If the wheels of the RR fit, which I can't tell if they do, then I could look for the HP4 wheels from someone going to CF and maybe save some bucks and weight at the same time. Still highly unlikely I'll drop that much into one mod anyway. It is one of those "I'd love to have it but can't really justify it" mods. Just like a turbo kit on a 'Busa... :D

Still saving even 11 pounds on that R1 would be a big difference when you consider how light the bike probably was. Still if I hit the lottery... my wife wouldn't complain too much if I bought them. ;)

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
If roads were in good condition, I suppose the expensive rims would not be so stressful to use. Its probably like all the high end....anything. Expensive, buy once you try it, or wear it, it starts making perfect sense. Brakes and suspension has always been like this. The more you spend, the more performance goes up, and it feels perfectly reasonable after. I was watching some Aircraft pieces being made, yesterday. Currently seeking permission to be allowed to dumpster dive for the scraps. Its not a beautiful grade of carbon fiber, but its 2mm thick and you cannot break it, or flex it, with bare hands.

·
Registered
11,240 Posts
a interesting factoid or not.......the more you run a set of tires the lighter they get.....i have angel gts on and will weigh them when i change to a new set of angels just to see what the difference is...i guess i have to much time on my hands
I have a good scale. When I replace my next tire, we'll see how much it changes. I'm guessing a full pound of rubber, maybe more?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts