Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was picking up the bike after the 600 service the shop manager showed me how to adjust the slack in the dive chain. He said have a person sit on the bike when you measure the slack and then make the adjustment.

The owners manual says put the bike on the side stand and measure and adjust according to the directions.

Can someone explain how they do it. I was also wondering if the adjuster turns clockwise to tighten the chain. Thanks for any comments....

mrsand

·
Registered
154 Posts
It NEVER fails to go with the owners manual. Keep in mind that a slightly loose chain is much better than a tight chain.

After you adjust it, according to the manual, hop on the bike and make sure it's not too tight.

I believe it is clockwise to tighten the chain but if it doesn't then turn it the other way. Hehehe.

Reactions: chappo7

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain Tighting

OK.........I cleaned the chain and then for the first time adjusted the slack.

I loosened the 2 pinch bolts at the end of the swing arm and used the allen wrench in the tool bag to make the adjustment....I had to tap the allen wrench clockwise with a hammer to move the adjuster...man...it was tight...but it worked...then I tighted the pinch bolts to 47 or so ft.lbs...has anyone else had to use a hammer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK.........I cleaned the chain and then for the first time adjusted the slack.

I loosened the 2 pinch bolts at the end of the swing arm and used the allen wrench in the tool bag to make the adjustment....I had to tap the allen wrench clockwise with a hammer to move the adjuster...man...it was tight...but it worked...then I tighted the pinch bolts to 47 or so ft.lbs...has anyone else had to use a hammer?
Little late but I just joined, Hammer would not be a good choice, cut a 6" piece of 3/8 or 1/2 pipe and use it for leverage. You could even use a piece of 1/2 PVC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just tightened mine last weekend..

The allen wrenches in the tool kit are almost useless for this procedure because they just do not give you enough torque unless you extend them somehow (and that ends up being a bit awkward).

A much better way is to buy a cheap set of metric allen wrenches on 3/8 inch drive sockets. I bought a Craftsman set for about $8. Moving the cam to adjust the tension takes a lot of force even with the pinch bolts loose. Clockwise on the left side and counterclockwise on the right side tightens the chain. When you move one side the other side moves too so it might be good to use two wrenches. It took me a few minutes to get it right. A VERY small rotation of the cam (less than one notch) cause a big change in the slack.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chain adjustment

yea...it doesn't take much movement on the adjuster to tighten the chain

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey I just bought a 2012 N1K and have had to tighten the chain twice...do these things get loose easy or am I doing something wrong?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts