Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to those who post here regularly. When I decided to join the ranks of disgruntled former SA1290s owners, I hadn't even considered owning a Japanese bike in a decade. I'm a Triumph triple fan, and I won't kick a revvie Vtwin out of the garage for leaking oil, but recent shenanigans with a KTM big Twin had me searching for answers. I new friend who'd just bought a leftover Z1000sx cheap along with a strong desire for a bike that can finish a goddamn trip under its own power had me researching Tracer 900s and the recently updated (but historically significant) Zed 1000. I'd had the pegs blown off my favorite bike to date (a 2006 Sprint ST 1050) by a 2014 ZX10 once, and I know of Kawasaki's reputation for building stupid powerful bikes that are reliable and trouble free. Imagine my shock (coming from a KTM forum) when I found gripe threads regarding tire profile and rear turn signals instead of threads decrying failed fuel pumps and poorly designed air filter housings. After lots of reading I traded that hunk of Austrian veggie loaf on a leftover 2019 Z1000sx that was on super duper sale. I was upside down on the KTM so the loan worked out to my benefit in the long run. Happy side effect? The 2019 Zed kicks ***. It reminds me of my last Japanese bike, a 2011 DL650 Vstrom. And I mean that in the best possible way. It's smooth, predictable, and very well made. And CHEAP. I've ordered some bits and bobs for it. Including a seat from a member here who made a deal, which involved me paying shipping, and found out the shipping was going to be idiotically expensive. He notified me of this situation, then offered to split the difference and cut into his own pocket in order to be fair. I agreed, and was really happy to have found a forum much like "Stromtroopers" full of good info and helpful, reasonable people. I very much appreciate that, oh and I also love this bike. It's sitting next to my 2007 BMW R1200s and 1998 Thunderbird S and is worthy company. The Zed is a damn good machine.

***disclaimer, I've had whiskey. I reserve the right to misspell, pun, and make critical references to Austrian vehicles.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Welcome. Congrats on purchasing the Ninja. Have owned my 2013 since new and have enjoyed 32,000 miles with not one hiccup. The bike is very reliable and feels as solid as it did on day one.

Lots of great people and good information on this website. (y)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome!

This is my second Ninja 1000, In between I owned a BMW S1000R and a Superduke GT that I traded for the Ninja 1000, Nothing against the European bikes, overall they were pretty reliable. But having retired 18 months ago and knowing I would be riding a LOT, I wanted to get back to bulletproof Japanese bikes. The day after I retired I traded my 1600 BMW for an FJR 1300. It also is my second FJR with a few other bikes in between.

I am now down to just one European bike, and it’s not going away!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Welcome aboard.
It is a strange site isn't it. But hey we are human and can always find something to talk and or argue about.

Cheers
Kenneth

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome!

This is my second Ninja 1000, In between I owned a BMW S1000R and a Superduke GT that I traded for the Ninja 1000, Nothing against the European bikes, overall they were pretty reliable. But having retired 18 months ago and knowing I would be riding a LOT, I wanted to get back to bulletproof Japanese bikes. The day after I retired I traded my 1600 BMW for an FJR 1300. It also is my second FJR with a few other bikes in between.

I am now down to just one European bike, and it’s not going away!
Dude. If I had a Panigale I’d say the same. Prior to my KTM I has a 2012 Griso 1200 (Tenni green). Wish I could say it was a good bike.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Welcome, don't worry, we'll find something to argue about one way or another. Whats your stance on Covid? :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dude. If I had a Panigale I’d say the same. Prior to my KTM I has a 2012 Griso 1200 (Tenni green). Wish I could say it was a good bike.
The Panigale has had its problems, but I love the bike. I’m not sure what I expected when I bought it. I was 60 years old then, now 67 and I have 31,000 miles on it. The only way I would get of it now is if I could find a super clean used 1299 to replace it with.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
151 Posts
Welcome Mate and congrats on the new bike! I have a 19 as well and came from a 2007 Speed Triple and loved the bike. But, I got tired of the niggling issues and poor dealer support. I love my Ninja so far and agree the complaints here are better to have than the ones on a Triumph forum. Plus, there are some good guys here too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Mate and congrats on the new bike! I have a 19 as well and came from a 2007 Speed Triple and loved the bike. But, I got tired of the niggling issues and poor dealer support. I love my Ninja so far and agree the complaints here are better to have than the ones on a Triumph forum. Plus, there are some good guys here too.
What year was your Speed Triple? I’ve wanted one forever but have yet to actually own one. I loved the 1050 in my Sprint. I lust after an 05-11 S3. I fall in the camp of hating the “bad boobjob” headlights even though I know they are better machines than the prior generation. I’m fortunate to have a really good Triumph dealer within about an hour or so. I was looking for a S3 when I bought the Griso. Same for the R1200s currently in my garage....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year was your Speed Triple? I’ve wanted one forever but have yet to actually own one. I loved the 1050 in my Sprint. I lust after an 05-11 S3. I fall in the camp of hating the “bad boobjob” headlights even though I know they are better machines than the prior generation. I’m fortunate to have a really good Triumph dealer within about an hour or so. I was looking for a S3 when I bought the Griso. Same for the R1200s currently in my garage....
Oh duh....’07....sorry hooked on phonics....

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
151 Posts
Oh duh....’07....sorry hooked on phonics....
No worries. Yeah it was an early 2007 and was a good bike for many years. Engine was always strong. But got tired of it after awhile. I did a lot of changes to bike with different wheels, exhausts, rear sets, colors, etc.

TriumphSpeedTriple0212007.jpg CopyofSpeedTriple0111005.jpg 20190804_171011.jpg
20190804_170619.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
151 Posts
The exhaust on it when green is awesome. Do you recall the manufacturer? Nice machine.
Thank you. I miss the bike when I look at pictures.
The exhaust was made by GPR. Funny thing is that I bought the exhaust, wheels, and front fork all from a gentleman in Australia. I spent a lot on that whole set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts