Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've managed to drain a battery by leaving the bike in "P," I'm wondering if anyone has managed to just disable that position? I don't have a shop manual for the bike to look at a wiring schematic, but I'd be willing to bet there's a way.

·
Registered
367 Posts
These schemes are at the appendix of the service manual, all of them. (also non ABS).

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
John, no big deal. You wont need to disable it.

I did the same thing, and its never happened again. Even fi you clip the wire, you'll still verify its not in "p" 47 times.

We need to focus this energy towards the person, or agency who requires the p thing in the first place, and beat them senseless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i did that a few times. now, when i stop or park, i just always go to full steering stop and turn the key all the to the locked position. no more remembering to look to make sure the lights aren't on.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Corey, I think I am safe to speak for John...just right here, and now....

Corey, I THOUGHT I turned it all the way to the stop.

Seriously, my shorai battery took 8 hours of this "P", and still started the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately for me, I parked it on Friday and went dirtbiking for three days, so my Shorai was flat dead. It did give me an excuse to buy one of the fancy Shorai chargers, since they tell you not to use a regular lead-acid charger when it's that dead.

After I figure out how to disable this, I'll post a how-to on here, and then I'm going to take rcannon409's suggestion and start a search for the guy who that that the P position was a good idea.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Unfortunately for me, I parked it on Friday and went dirtbiking for three days, so my Shorai was flat dead. It did give me an excuse to buy one of the fancy Shorai chargers, since they tell you not to use a regular lead-acid charger when it's that dead.

After I figure out how to disable this, I'll post a how-to on here, and then I'm going to take rcannon409's suggestion and start a search for the guy who that that the P position was a good idea.
John, lets work as a team. You find the wire, I'll hunt for the guy.

Maybe take him for a walk at a Disney resort, or a drink at....nevermind?

No joke, but some countries require a bike to have "parking" lights, so maybe we cant beat him THAT badly? Or, maybe we can. id it have to be that easy to engage?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Having owned a '14 for 4 years and never done this I'd say it's a training issue but now it seems there's 3 of you that can't work a 4 position switch so maybe there's something to it. :) My '18 schematic looks the same but the switch doesn't have a 4th position, only on-off-lock so Kawasaki did fix the issue.
Looking at the schematic, I don't see there's a single wire you could clip. It looks like it just activates the lighting wire in either the "on" or "signal" position. To confirm, turn it so the parking light is on and see if the turn signals work. If so, you're outta luck and you'll just have to learn how to work the switch.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
I've only done it, twice, but got back to my bike soon enough to not be an issue. Both times, I was in a hurry, and decided to use the fork lock. On a bright day, it's not easy to notice the tail light being on.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't leave their key in the bike even at home?

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
199 Posts
Nope. I always remove my key, even at home.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I leave the key in always at home and most of the time on the road. It only comes out when I'm on the road overnight. At meal stops we always park the bikes where we can see them and I put my gloves over the radar detector and GPS if it's mounted. They come off overnight. I probably would be a lot more careful in densely populated areas.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
236 Posts
Yeah I take my key out except for when running and occasionally for a bit at home. My biggest concern at home is that I have a teenage son. I think we all understand that concern.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Yes, as a former teenage son, you should be concerned.

I thought I was home free until the night my dad said, "I think you've put more miles on the xs 11 than I have.

Do the newer bikes all have the "p" position for the key and is it still one notch past the "lock"? Its no big deal of you are paying attention, but completly sucks when you are not.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 1000
236 Posts
Yes, as a former teenage son, you should be concerned.

I thought I was home free until the night my dad said, "I think you've put more miles on the xs 11 than I have.

Do the newer bikes all have the "p" position for the key and is it still one notch past the "lock"? Its no big deal of you are paying attention, but completly sucks when you are not.
XS11? That's like leaving money out. How tempting it would have been for me.

My 19 doesn't have the parking light position. I never used it before with other bikes but I was always checking. I still check at times out of habit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The '17 does. and it's pretty easy to turn the key far enough to get it in there... On the '17 there is also a hazard light switch right below the turn signal switch. I've found it easy to check if I turned it too far by sliding that switch over. If in 'P' all four turn signals will flash. Good way to know what I did...and correct it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts