Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've used dry powder graphite on just about every lock cylinder in my house and garage... even the mailbox (ours is the community cluster type) which see all kinds of weather exposure. If it gums up with graphite, it's because there is other wet lube that was previously injected. You'd need to flush it with a cleaner first to clear the gunk out. I wouldn't use any wet lube like Balistol. It might work for a while, but the oil will attract more dirt make more grime.

You might try some dry lube sprays. WD-40 makes several. Some are dry PTFE. Some are rust busters. I have not tried it, but the rust release penetrant spray sound like the best fit for your case.

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
Yes, 40 is a little excessive...serious? My god, I didnt realize this bottle was about 1/3 of my 401k. I'm not sure what it is. It's most similar to the Wal Mart dry lube /DuPont chain lube that they sell.

I bought it because it had a goofy name. When a co-worker asked if I had wd40, I hand them this miniature can, and they stop asking for wd40. At some point I realized it was really good, for locks , and it never made it to work.

I think I might be inclined to try that chain lube. It's not a normal chain lube. Theres really nothing to it. It doesnt build up. This stuff. Maybe a drop, or two on the key. Plus, it's only 6 bucks, and it a decent chain lube. I wasnt sold on it, at first, but it won me over.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
After WD 40,,use a very minor amount of lithium grease and the lock is as new, did the trunk lock as well,,,. I didn't use it on the ignition?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I hadn't thought of it for keys until RC mentioned it but this stuff is what I've been using for chain lube for a while now.
It kind of self cleans, drys and doesn't collect mung and lasts quite well. Any overspray cleans up with Simple Green.
Lag4's method of WD40 to loosen and clean and lithium grease for lube should work well.
For my luggage, I used Honda's Pro Silicone on all. It seems to work OK on plastic but I agree it wears off pretty quickly on metal.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts