Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the Versys have a standard 2 year warranty while the N1k has a standard 1 year warranty? Is it just because one is considered a sportbike and the other a touring bike?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Probably yet another curse on the "Ninja" name.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Price.

To extend the warranty on a still-in-warranty N1k, it's about $600. Could be for another 2 years I can't remember what Kawasaki offered me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably yet another curse on the "Ninja" name.
It looks like the Concours, Vaquero and Voyager get a 36 month warranty, only the Versys 1000 gets a 24 month and everything else I looked at (including smaller Versys) only get a 12 month warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here, sometimes when a bike does not sell, manufacturers top this extended warranty as a cherry to make it move.

Reactions: Rickifumi

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Why does the Versys have a standard 2 year warranty while the N1k has a standard 1 year warranty? Is it just because one is considered a sportbike and the other a touring bike?
I dont know it to be the reason but have read Kawasaki has detuned that motor.

Reactions: rcannon409

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Guus, speaking of warranty. In the history of this forum, have we ever had a member take their bike in for a significant warranty claim? I dont remember seeing anything.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Guus, speaking of warranty. In the history of this forum, have we ever had a member take their bike in for a significant warranty claim? I dont remember seeing anything.

In my entire riding career of over 40+ years, I only once had a legitimate warranty claim. A 30 day old 2001 ZRX1200 countershaft seal leak. Dealer claimed it was chain lube. Tried to show him with a flashlight how you could just see how the seal lip was pushed out on one 30ish degree section. No go. I ordered a replacement seal, fixed it myself, went back to the dealer and threw the seal on the counter and walked out. Never stepped foot in that dealer ever again. I sometime see the same part / sales guys at the local winter bike show. I still give them the stink eye.......... :devil:

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't think the 2-year warranty is anything but a perk to move fully amortized carryover models, and easing Versys 1000 sticker shock. I think these motorcycles tend to attract touring riders, who'd most appreciate the extra coverage whether it's ever needed or not. The machines are inherently reliable so Kawasaki is not sticking its corporate neck out TOO far on this.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Price.
To extend the warranty on a still-in-warranty N1k, it's about $600. Could be for another 2 years I can't remember what Kawasaki offered me.
For those of you tempted to waste your money on an extended warranty be sure to shop around. I have a buddy who likes to donate to mc companies and a few years ago he shopped around for his Connie and found their 3 year extended warranty for just over half the asking price. The key question has already been asked: Anyone use their warranty on the N1k? Any Japanese bike? The closest thing I can think of to a warranty flaw was the "dry clutch" issue in early Ninjas.

Another buddy of mine had a Triumph Trophy that ate it's rear drive at 8k miles. The fork seals were gone too. Had to write a letter to the head of Triumph America to get them replace under warranty (at 6 months and 8k miles) because the local dealer said they were "normal wear articles" and not covered. His Triumph Tiger lost it's stator and R/R under warranty. He still loves his Triumphs but he keeps a Honda VFR1200 in the garage as well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't purchase an extended warranty on my 15. I was just curious why different models have different warranties. Thought maybe the sportbikes had the 12 month deals but a lot of the smaller cruisers and small adventure bikes do too.

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
One of the longest threads on the concours 14 thread is about the extended warranties. In the past, a Florida dealer was selling the 4 year warranty for around 400.00.

On that bike it was almost worth it because of the tire pressure sensors. The batteries usually died at year 4. The 400 you paid was less than the 2 new sensors by about 125.00.
Still, that was all anyone ever filed a claim for. Many didnt have those go bad. Even though the warranty was cheap, it was still a poor value. There were a few bad abs pumps, but Kawasaki fixed those, warranty or no warranty. .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts