Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I almost lost it yesterday on the way home from visiting friends west of Houston, for the locals it was on 3090. I was running fast on the straights watching for deer and hitting the corners hard but not excessive and within my capabilities. I was going into a right hand slightly downhill curve about 65 for a posted at 45 mph and I braked a little before leaning in and both tires lost traction and I slid sideways.

I am pretty sure my instinct took over knowing if I continued the lean I would lowside and stood it up and hit the brakes going across the opposite lane and towards a deep ravine, with about two feet of gravel between the asphalt and grass but I got it slowed down enough not to wash out on the gravel and didn't hit or get hit by an oncoming car.

Oddly I was not shaking even though it would have been bad and likely out of sight of other drivers if I had gone down.

I went back to try to understand what happened and there was a mailbox on the right midway through the curve and what looked like a faint shadow of a stream of liquid on the asphalt and it continued for quite a while down the highway. I don't remember if it started at the mailbox.

I thought a lot about this last night and while I am happy I didn't panic and grab the brakes when I lost traction or when headed towards the ravine but I sure as hell am questioning my desire to push the corners on public roads. A lot of dangers can be seen like dirt, gravel, water, leaves and pine needles but oil and diesel not so much.

Throwing this out for input and others experiences.

·
Registered
11,460 Posts
You did a good job . That bothers me as well when the only reason I'm ok is because of luck, or timing because a person can run out of both of those without any notice. Especially when you really havent done anything that's wrong.

I know it's not always possible, but anymore I dont really let myself have any fun unless I've been through the section, at slow speed, just to get an idea of what hazards there might be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know it's not always possible, but anymore I dont really let myself have any fun unless I've been through the section, at slow speed, just to get an idea of what hazards there might be.
I agree, I like to run the section before cranking it up, but just not always doable or practical. Diesel fuel spills are nasty stuff. It can throw you even going through a common intersection from a stop. Common built up oil drippings are usually recoverable, but those spills covering a bigger area are a much larger challenge. Often we can detect them, but sometimes in the dark or limited light, or during a rain, or pick our excuse, it is easy to miss them.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
I've ridden that road many times and never had a traction problem running 50% to 75% over the posted speed on the curve markers. It has gotten a little bumpy in sections, but recent repaving has eliminated most of that. Must surely have been something slick on the road surface--always a danger no matter how well you know the road.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm glad you came out of that fine. Could have been bad.

I hate Diesel spills. Had a minor incident at a gas station frequented by commercial trucks running diesel. Someone spilled diesel fuel right on the spot where a bike would pull up to fill. Of course I stepped right on that spill and almost dropped the bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I almost lost it yesterday on the way home from visiting friends west of Houston, for the locals it was on 3090. I was running fast on the straights watching for deer and hitting the corners hard but not excessive and within my capabilities. I was going into a right hand slightly downhill curve about 65 for a posted at 45 mph and I braked a little before leaning in and both tires lost traction and I slid sideways.

I am pretty sure my instinct took over knowing if I continued the lean I would lowside and stood it up and hit the brakes going across the opposite lane and towards a deep ravine, with about two feet of gravel between the asphalt and grass but I got it slowed down enough not to wash out on the gravel and didn't hit or get hit by an oncoming car.

Oddly I was not shaking even though it would have been bad and likely out of sight of other drivers if I had gone down.

I went back to try to understand what happened and there was a mailbox on the right midway through the curve and what looked like a faint shadow of a stream of liquid on the asphalt and it continued for quite a while down the highway. I don't remember if it started at the mailbox.

I thought a lot about this last night and while I am happy I didn't panic and grab the brakes when I lost traction or when headed towards the ravine but I sure as hell am questioning my desire to push the corners on public roads. A lot of dangers can be seen like dirt, gravel, water, leaves and pine needles but oil and diesel not so much.

Sounds like a good recovery from a bad spot..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Good reflexes for something you can't really practice. Glad it worked out, nice save.
Diesel is particularly nasty because you can't see it on the pavement. I've only encountered it a couple of times in industrial type areas and wouldn't expect it out in the country.
Radiator coolant put me down once on a freeway on-ramp. Couln't see that either without really looking.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've ridden that road many times and never had a traction problem running 50% to 75% over the posted speed on the curve markers. It has gotten a little bumpy in sections, but recent repaving has eliminated most of that. Must surely have been something slick on the road surface--always a danger no matter how well you know the road.
Didn’t you and I hit a section of road the other day like that where some heavy equipment looked like it leaked Probably diesel fuel? I can’t remember where, We were not on 3090 that day though.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
95 Posts
Didn’t you and I hit a section of road the other day like that where some heavy equipment looked like it leaked Probably diesel fuel? I can’t remember where, We were not on 3090 that day though.
We've hit a lot of construction zones lately for some reason.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had, not one but two, similar experiences on right turns inspite of being cautious and not pushing it hard? I had to sit up and I went into on coming traffic almost running into an SUV and the other time luckly there was no oncoming traffic. I've been riding for 44 years and never had that problem. In our group of 3 Harley's, a Honda CB500 and a Triumph 1200cc all made it at the same speed. I was embarrassed and started slowing down a lot before turns, till I figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out for a short ride this evening, maybe 30 miles and it sure felt like the backend slipped a bit and I was not leaning that much or on the gas. When I got back to the house I checked pressure and it was 40.5 front and 42.5 rear and ambient temperature about 82.

The dealership told me the original tires were dry rotted so they installed new tires and they are Battlax BT16's, date code 1317.

Searching the tire on Google it pulled up this forum way back in 2014 and I didn't find many good comments on the BT16 and only a few who used them on the track and those riders reported few if any issues.

I never installed the new RS III on the N1000 so maybe I am better off buying a front and swapping tires, I never felt a bobble on the RS III's and rode the N1000 much harder than I probably should have based on my limited experience. I just never felt like I was close to losing traction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts