Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know we have that 'other' thread where people say what they would buy if the couldn't get the Ninja. I can say that I know very little about Euro bikes... I like the s1000r and I like the Diavel and a few of the Triumphs.. but to be able to know the different bikes and what is most in line for a sport tour.. it is daunting.

So instead of a replacement.. I would design what would be the perfect N1K:

- engine output.. yes I know we are set for torque, torque is wonderful, blah, blah.. and I agree to some extent.. but torque is also what engages that traction control, spins the tire, and wheelies... I think moving the torque curve up a tiny bit to have 1-2K more redline head room would be nice.. yeah I know I just described a zx10 power plant. But the short rev range makes for a bunch of shifting even with a sprocket... There is still abundant torque to get this bike moving .. we have enough now to probably start off in 4th or 5th gear from a stop.

- steering damper - again pieces from a sport bike that I think are important, I am sure there is a downside here.. but one high speed tank slapper makes this all worth while.. I am not pumped about paying 4-500 bucks to put one on... it should come with it!

- Weight reduction - I love our ergos.. why can't my bike weigh 450lbs instead of 500.. put her on a diet!

- seat - personally I don't have a big issue with our seat.. but my brothers sargent is more comfortable.. so I will go with it.

- gear indicator- the 90's are calling and wondering why?

- oem led or hid lighting.. real performance right out of the box

- the gearing should be taller - a lot of us fix this and love it.. just do it from the factory!

As I read about the suzi -gsx1000f - it seams they might have read my mind :(

What would you design into the bike?

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
My ninja weighs 463 with a full tank. Much of the excess weight is in the exhaust system. With a full exhaust, it drops the bike down to @480.

With regards to power, Ivan pretty much did that with our ecu reflash. The stock redline does not apply.

As far as a power shift, up higher, thats nto an option, really.

Again, Ivans mods did pretty much what you are talking about, but without a supercharger, or turbo, you have to give to get.

If you look at Yamahas new r1, its a perfect example. It does get 170hp, up top, at the expense of most of its low end and midrange. Perfect for the track, not ideal for the street.

I added a scotts steering damper. I say yes to them, but most oem quality ones are so poor at what they do (legal department) that I believe you have to add your own to get something decent.

The transmission from the Versys 1000 would drop right in, and that would be a nice change.

I like the ideas, but when they add those changes, the price will be higher.

The suzuki has its own issues. If you look at one, its an gsxr 1000, with tons of cheap components, and a high handlebar. Its fairing is all but worthless. The fueling is terrible, and its suspension is about like ours.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Taller gearing, better seat and lose the forward slope, ride-by-wire and cruise control, (heated grips and seat, increase alternator capacity for heated gear as options), better lighting.

·
Registered
709 Posts
HID lighting
Gear indicator
Less bulky, less heavy, better looking exhaust cans
Weight Reduction

In that order of importance. Not yet convinced I need different gearing, but I get why so many people bring it up.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My ninja weighs 463 with a full tank. Much of the excess weight is in the exhaust system. With a full exhaust, it drops the bike down to @480.
So, are you saying I would drop to 480 lbs if I simply replaced the stock cans with slip-ons? (please say yes :D )

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Squid, do you remember how much weight the slip ons save? I'm thinking in the 10-12 lb range?

If you go to this thread, a member made a cool program that is very accurate. You change thigns around to reflect your mods, and it spits out the weight.
http://www.riderforums.com/3rd-gen-z1000-z1000sx-ninja-1000/75734-weight-reduction-guide-3rd-gen-z1000.html
Z 1000 and Ninja 1000 version.

Still, my bike is lighter than when it left the factory. If you were in my driveway, pushing your stock bike, then shifted over to mine, would you be able to tell the difference?

If I was holding up a printed version of the chart, showing you what I had done, maybe. Theres still an issue of holding 5 gallons of gasoilne way too high on the machine. That first two gallons sets up there a ways.

I think a slip on and a shorai type battery will get you close to 20 lbs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Squid, do you remember how much weight the slip ons save? I'm thinking in the 10-12 lb range?

If you go to this thread, a member made a cool program that is very accurate. You change thigns around to reflect your mods, and it spits out the weight.
Weight Reduction Guide 3rd Gen Z1000
Z 1000 and Ninja 1000 version.

Still, my bike is lighter than when it left the factory. If you were in my driveway, pushing your stock bike, then shifted over to mine, would you be able to tell the difference?

If I was holding up a printed version of the chart, showing you what I had done, maybe. Theres still an issue of holding 5 gallons of gasoilne way too high on the machine. That first two gallons sets up there a ways.

I think a slip on and a shorai type battery will get you close to 20 lbs.
Around 11 lbs for the mufflers sounds about right. I remember being surprised they didn't weigh more. Slip-ons and a battery should get you close to at least 15 lbs for sure. I can tell the diff between a full tank and a half tank so I'd think there's a significant diff between your bike and stock. I noticed the diff just from the full exhaust. 20 lbs is a lot. More, even better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think, like I have said for a long time,that the bike should come with more adjustable ergos. Adjustable bars, adjustable pegs.

The stock seat is so horrible I think it was made by Ivan the terrible.

A gear indicator would be great, and so freaking easy to do with a digital dash. The ECU always knows what gear the bike is in, so why shouldn't we?

I could care less about a dampener, most people cause their own head shake to be honest. And I don't care about better suspension as what we got was ok for the price point of this bike.

What I expect is better brakes. The ZX-14 has flawless front brakes, and this bike feels like it's stopping with water soaked wooden brake pads. It actually cost Kawasaki more money to 'develop" such a crap front brake. Just put the ZX-14 brakes on all the fast or grown up stuff.

And I want actual real cruise control as a factory option. It should cost about $600-$650 to buy and be installed by a Kawasaki shop. All the connections and needed stuff should be on the factory bikes.

Lighter weight is always good. They have some random brackets that could be built into the frame, or be used to do two tasks instead of one.

What I absolute want, and their is simply no freaking excuse is a wiring harness disconnect at the upper fairing. The way it is the bike is freaking terrible to service or strip. It's complete nonsense.

Also the bike needs more top end power. I get that it has amazing low end power. It's super fun. But past 7 k rpm as stock it's just a needle moving, you are not getting any more real power. I want more top end power, and no top speed restriction for a bike aimed at older male buyers.

Personally I think I have a nearly perfect ninja 1000, but it has it's own problems...lol

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Around 11 lbs for the mufflers sounds about right. I remember being surprised they didn't weigh more. Slip-ons and a battery should get you close to at least 15 lbs for sure. I can tell the diff between a full tank and a half tank so I'd think there's a significant diff between your bike and stock. I noticed the diff just from the full exhaust. 20 lbs is a lot. More, even better.
I had the pleasure of riding a very nice man's Ninja with the full akro system w/ out bags back to back with mine this morning. I have to say it felt like it weighed as much as an S1000R. must have lost 35 lbs easy. Much more top end as well.
Me? I'd just be happy with yoshi slipons. Too bad you can't loose the cat without having to swap the header.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
OK, my new design ninja.

Throw old bike away. Use a new version of the 2002 zx12 engine in its place. More compact and light weight. Full 1200cc will give good low-mid, and 165hp.

Normal, aluminum frame. No more going over the top. It shard to do valve adjustments, compromises fuel capacity, and serves no purpose.

Upgraded suspension.

Larger fairing. Bags could stay as they are now. No shaft drive. 13,500 price

Oh, and when its time to style it, hire a designed from MV Agusta to do the work, then do what he says.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the pleasure of riding a very nice man's Ninja with the full akro system w/ out bags back to back with mine this morning. I have to say it felt like it weighed as much as an S1000R. must have lost 35 lbs easy. Much more top end as well.
Me? I'd just be happy with yoshi slipons. Too bad you can't loose the cat without having to swap the header.
Rock, the header is what you really want to lose, and the cat and unsightly hot box are the plus. Adding the header to Ivan's tune makes a very big difference in my opinion. In terms of performance, I feel like I got just as much out of the header (added to the tune) as I did the tune (granted there are other benefits to the tune).

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Rock, the header is what you really want to lose, and the cat and unsightly hot box are the plus. Adding the header to Ivan's tune makes a very big difference in my opinion. In terms of performance, I feel like I got just as much out of the header (added to the tune) as I did the tune (granted there are other benefits to the tune).
Did you loose some bottom end with the akro header?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'd like to see the power increased slightly. For a litre bike with the aggressive styling, it seems a bit lax.

I'd also like to see HID lighting standard. The stock lights just don't give enough.

Weight - this is coupled with the issue for the power. The weight does make it ride nice, but it also makes it feel sluggish.

Last thing I'd like to see is a steering dampener.

Most of the other stuff you can get from aftermarket, and I don't find much use for it.

The power or weight could be balanced better. I don't think dropping too much weight would be good - considering you lose a bit of the touring capability at that point.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm a bit confused with the requests of a steering damper.
I have my share of power wheelies, but not once was the steering shaky.
The geometry of our bike doesn't really require one.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
EXP, think of it like this.I learned this after buying a Scotts on blind faith, and no more. I had no need, and/or reason to get one . A guy was selling a custom mount, and thats the truth. So, with that....

...a steering damper is an accessory, not a bad aid. It would be a band aid if someone used one for a stability problem.

With a damper, you can find a chopped up road, and run flat out with 100% confidence. Grooves in a roads surface disappear. Plus, its there should a wobble arise.

So, if I said I did not need one, this would be true. Just the same as a person does not need a well set up fork, or shock. A bike is ride-abel with poor suspension.

It takes a 2 minute ride to say, "Wow. How did I miss that, and my bike will never again be without one."

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Did you loose some bottom end with the akro header?
I have the Arrow header. If I lost bottom, it was too small to notice, and truth be told, I think it might have gained low end. It would not surprise me if it did.

Te stock header is so restrictive, I dont think it does a good job at any part of the range.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I have the Arrow header. If I lost bottom, it was too small to notice, and truth be told, I think it might have gained low end. It would not surprise me if it did.

Te stock header is so restrictive, I dont think it does a good job at any part of the range.
Thanks. I'd like to loose that ungainly blob underneath anyway, and no I'm no talking about Jay :)

NOPE, THE ADDITION OF THE PIPE AND PC AND RE FLASH ADDS LOW END AND TOP END. AND YOU ARE SUPER GAY,

And if your name is Rock you are super amazingly gay anyway...lol
keep it up and I'll give you a piece of the "rock" the hard way you crazy Oki! :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you realize you wanted a steering dampner.. its usually to late. I have had 2 tank slappers (1 on this bike 1 on an old Hurricane) where at high speed you hit a bad patch of road.. it wipes out the shocks and the steering jumps frantically left and right in your hands.. the only way to react is slow down smoothly while your bike is essentially out of control. It is an enormous pucker moment.

I want one.. I just don't really want to spend the money :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts