Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My local dealer has just gotten a 1000SX in stock. As mentioned previously in the New Member thread, I'm 74 (but fit...5'10", 145 lbs...work out regularly, eat well) and considering trading my '17 BMW S1000RR for the SX, mainly for comfort plus sportbike performance.

I've read previously that the seat and windscreen are two "cons" to this bike. What say you? I can ride my S1000RR for 300 miles in the mountains and don't find the seating all that uncomfortable, so if the Kawi seat is as bad as some say I might have to reconsider my plan to trade. Also, the windscreen...this is a problem for a lot of bikes, not just the SX. Is an aftermarket screen going to be required to keep wind noise within reason. My RR's screen is the taller BMW screen and with it my head is in mostly clear air. Is the SX screen throwing turbulent air into your helmet?

Finally...tell me what you DON'T like about the SX. I'm already leaning toward it because of the things people DO like.

Thank you all!!
I just don't understand why you trade in your RR, if you love it, for the ninja, you will be bored or sore in 1 hour.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Fast, smooth twisties are what the S1000RR was built for. If you ride slow, tight twisties like the ones I spend 90% of my time on, I'd take my N1K over an S1000RR.

My bike is barely warm by the time I hit this: CA130-San Jose-Patterson This is the first half of our short loop.

Water Water resources World Map Font

This route is brutal on an S1000RR. It's not even that much fun on my 675 Daytona. The Duke 890R was built for this and is absolutely amazing out here. I always say you gotta have the right tool for the job!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I don't recall if owning multiple bikes is an option for you. My buddy owns a track s1000rr, a street s1000rr and a r1200s for touring. Hopefully you can keep your rr and try something else at the same time. You can always sell the rr later if/when you find something you like better.
I did that for a while...had a BMW F800GT in addition to the RR. The GT was a comfortable bike, nice-looking, if a little underpowered (though it would scoot along in the twisties just fine), and I liked having a belt drive and panniers plus center stand. For some reason I got tired of having two bikes and sold the GT. I just looked at a photo of it, with a pang of regret...they don't make the model any more.

Motorcycles...what is it about them?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I just don't understand why you trade in your RR, if you love it, for the ninja, you will be bored or sore in 1 hour.
I'm leaning heavily toward not trading. There's going to come a time, though, when the RR's riding position - even with Heli bars - is going to lose some appeal. I'm looking at the Suzuki GSXS-GT and the BMW 1250 RS as future rides, but for now...probably sit with what I've got. It really comes down to winter restlessness...all those new bikes...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Fast, smooth twisties are what the S1000RR was built for. If you ride slow, tight twisties like the ones I spend 90% of my time on, I'd take my N1K over an S1000RR.

My bike is barely warm by the time I hit this: CA130-San Jose-Patterson This is the first half of our short loop.

View attachment 33078

This route is brutal on an S1000RR. It's not even that much fun on my 675 Daytona. The Duke 890R was built for this and is absolutely amazing out here. I always say you gotta have the right tool for the job!
These are the kinds of roads I ride my RR on...and I love it:
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
215 Posts
Beautiful roads! I think if I was you and got tired of the S1000RR ergos, the two bikes at the top of my list would be a 2019 Ninja 1000 (Ivanized) or a new GSX-S1000GT as long as I could get the ECU hacked. The Euro-5 regulations are really putting a turd in the swimming pool!

Reactions: BEARR and BTiger

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I like to say that if my driveway drains into Mulholland Drive or US-129, I would get rid of all my bikes and just have a Daytona 675R instead. Honestly, if you blessed with that much canyon carving, even the S1000RR is too much bike. But certainly it's a better tool than the likes of the N1k.
I absolutely loved that area when we got down there. I certainly appreciated Mulholland and a bunch more of those roads on the Ninja. We'll be spending a couple days in that area this spring (fingers crossed) before winding east on Angelese Chrest/Forest/others and zig-zagging up the Sierra Nevadas. We'll just be tootling along at a pace suitable for tourists who don't ride them every day and are torn between the scenery and curves. I'll be happy to be on the Ninja.

If we stop by Hollister this year I might even give Squidlius a jingle. :)

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
215 Posts
I absolutely loved that area when we got down there. I certainly appreciated Mulholland and a bunch more of those roads on the Ninja. We'll be spending a couple days in that area this spring (fingers crossed) before winding east on Angelese Chrest/Forest/others and zig-zagging up the Sierra Nevadas. We'll just be tootling along at a pace suitable for tourists who don't ride them every day and are torn between the scenery and curves. I'll be happy to be on the Ninja.

If we stop by Hollister this year I might even give Squidlius a jingle. :)
I really hope you do Ken. I'd be awesome to meet you guys and maybe ride with you for a bit! The Ninja may just be the best bike for that ride. If only it had a half gallon larger tank! I just had a seat made for my wife at Corbin and it's been a HUGE success!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I agree with you about waiting. I own a zx14r and there is really no place to ride it anymore, with the way the roads are and the the traffic. I had to two N1ks before, liked them, but was never comfortable. I don't ever want to lose the zxr because those who are familiar with the 14r realize how fast and comfortable they are. I am looking for a cruiser to add to the garage, maybe even a Harley. People like RC who are very knowledgeable about N1k, are very protective of their bike,. but will berate you because you mention HD. I don't know what RC does but I think he spends the day on his mothers computer in her basement cutting and pasting sh#t about the Ninja. Sad really, because early on he helped me, but now he chooses to be little me, just cause I menton HD.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That HD thing is funny. Out here in the Wild West, I'll give "the wave" to Harley guys, and they give it right back. There's no "us vs them" thing going on...just fellow riders. If there is a category of riders I can't abide, it's the young squidlets who think it's fun to ride in packs of 10 and do stupid things like failing to corner properly and wind up in the opposing traffic's lane. Couple of years ago, one of them went right off the road into the river and broke his neck. I'll take a Harley rider any day over those guys...

Anyway, I digress. When my dealer gets a Suzuki GT I'll look at it. Things I don't like about it are...no remote preload adjuster, and I don't think heated grips are standard. Also...there's that chain thing.

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
I don't have to cut and paste Ninja knowledge because I've done it ,and I know it. I'm one of several who had the guts to let one have it's throttle opened past 70%, and not let it be neutered. One of those who actually knows what the bike is about,and what it can be. I don't just trade things, or buy bikes that I can't use.

I also don't think it's funny when you talk about my Mom. You knew she died, two years ago. She died from complications from MS. See how this works?

·
Registered
215 Posts
That HD thing is funny. Out here in the Wild West, I'll give "the wave" to Harley guys, and they give it right back. There's no "us vs them" thing going on...just fellow riders. If there is a category of riders I can't abide, it's the young squidlets who think it's fun to ride in packs of 10 and do stupid things like failing to corner properly and wind up in the opposing traffic's lane. Couple of years ago, one of them went right off the road into the river and broke his neck. I'll take a Harley rider any day over those guys...

<--->
Be careful, one of those Harley riders blew a right hand corner he could have easily made had he known about counter-steering and hit my buddy on his VFR head-on. Luckily they both survived but it ended my friend's riding career. Ironically, since they were out in the middle of nowhere (as usual), my friend and the Harley rider had to share the ambulance ride. After some long awkward silence my friend asked, "why didn't you turn?" which was followed by more long awkward silence. It doesn't matter what they're riding. Some folks out there just barely know what they're doing on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Man, if I use those numbers for retirement planning I need to go buy a bunch of new bikes !!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Sorry about your VFR friend...that's awful. And, yes, there are riders of questionable skill levels on every kind of bike. I've seen it all. Including a BMW "adventure" bike rider who passed me on the right on a two-lane road. If I'd moved at all in my lane, he'd have hit me. And I didn't see him come up on me because (1) he was riding fast and (2) the road was full of corners and he'd just come around one.

Anyway...off topic.

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
BEARR, one of the guys on the zx10 forum died, right at Christmas time, when he pulled the same move as the guy did to you.

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
You guys know why the factory quick shifter isn't very good? Look at what they are made from. The micro switch is worth about $ 2.00 from McMaster Carr. This is Yamahas version, but without buying something good, like HM, this is what you get.

Add that to the built in play the linkage has and it's time to feel happy about it working at all.
Household hardware Bicycle part Camera accessory Font Auto part

Reactions: Oramac

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not everything needs to be beautifully made from the best quality material(s) to the highest precision to work well. If designed right, looser tolerance could actually enhance reliability, allowing the mechanism to operate with a wide range of dimensional variance (either due to wear or cheap parts). While pretty machining might be sexy to look at, in and of itself there is no guarantee it would work any better than cheap stamped steel (or molded plastic in the right application).

Everybody now thinks the world learned this from the Japanese, but even back prior to WWII, the Germans were well aware of this principle. They wisely replaced the expensive-to-mfr MG34, with lots of intricate machining on expensive forged alloys (requiring trace metals like Manganese/molydenum/chromium/nickel that Germany did not have native source for). The replacement MG42 was by-and-large assembled from inexpensive sheet metal parts stamped out of plain carbon steel. MG42 proved extremely reliable even under the worst battlefield conditions, had a fearsomely faster cyclic rate, and is - to this day - considered by many to be the finest General Purpose Machine Gun ever mass produced.

I don't have as much seat time on the 2020+ Ninja 1000SX as some of the fine gentlemen here... just a few short test rides. As far as I can tell, the QS works quite well, for a bike of this caliber. While it isn't as refined overall as, say, Aprilia's QS on the RSV4 and TuonoV4, the difference is likely more in the software than the hardware. Besides, the N1k's shifter linkage has always had a sloppy pivot bearing anyway. Even the most expensively made QS linkage system wouldn't have made much of a difference, unless that sloppy pivot bearing gets fixed first.

Reactions: MicMac

·
Premium Member
14,059 Posts
I've had people do that to me as well. I think my lesson,from this guy's accident was to let the person go who passes me. Under no circumstances do you react and try to keep up, or pass them back. Do just like you did.

Volfy, I've found that, too. When timing, or measuring things that occur in micro seconds, or fractions of a millimeter, you are often times better off with something low quality, and cheap. More play,and loose tolerances is where it's at when you try to do precision work.

It would be silly, and wasteful to spend 400.00 on a quality quickshifter, with a strain gauge sensor, and hope that it might save you from a 2000.00 transmission repair . Only a fool would do that. Especially when the expensive piece lets you have control over kill times. Who needs that responsibility when stock works so well?

See, that's where your thoughts take the wrong turn. Back at step 1. Being cheap,and having those tolerances is fine..if it works. When it doesn't, the idea falls flat on it's ***

61 - 80 of 211 Posts