Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Bmac, you had no idea, I'm the first to use the assist slipper on an older ninja 1000. I also installed a factory pro shift kit, in both bikes. With polished shift linkage...all three bikes I have now. My shifting is fine and has been since I was 6. I also oqned and used the dynojet pcv,and quick shifter. Quite some time before your euro5.

If you really rode with people, you would know that low rpm range is normal, for a Harley. Inexperienced riders do that with inline 4s as they are afraid or dont know these bikes need more rpm to function properly. With that in mind,a well fueled bike will deal with this. Your BMW died? No kidding. Maybe if they were not stuck with euro 5, they could have fixed this?

Who did you work for? I'm not seeing it. Or believing it.. A real tester would understand the bikes they sell often times are sold to I experienced riders..

And you missed 3rd gear restrictions on a bike you owned? If that's your ability, I get it,but that's not very good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey bmac you said you work for Yamaha right? Are we going to get the MT09 sportbike or the inline 4 R7?
They usually don't tell us and when they do we have to sign non-disclosure agreements.

There were a lot of people asking about an 09 based sport bike and I would not be surprised if Yamaha listened. The triple engine is excellent especially after the latest revision and would make an excellent sport bike with just enough power for street use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depends on where the 30% is. If it’s in first and second gear at certain RPMs, you can’t use full throttle anyway on a liter Supersport. I have first hand knowledge of that. I didn’t want to have to buy a new helmet from going over backwards. After second gear you certainly can use it all, but you are doing over 110 by then.
It goes well beyond that. As a previous owner of a S1000XR I found it had more than enough power at 160hp yet some knuckleheads were still pissed that they didn't get the RR 200hp engine. Never mind that it only made more power if you were tooling around at very high rpm and the corresponding high speed. Below is a quote from someone with real experience on the matter discussing restrictions:

"Quite honestly no bike comes close to putting down 200HP on the road ever and on the track hardly ever. Street tires are just not capable of using 200HP and ignoring legal issues, you can't keep slicks hot enough to work on the street - no don't ask me how I know lol.

Prior to my Tuono I had a fully sorted and built >205 HP R1M track bike. It ran slicks and tire warmers and we rode hot super grippy tracks where we could scrape elbows all day long. Looking at the data logs from 3 years of track days, the ECU was intervening to keep the bike from flipping or managing rear tire slip pretty much all of the time. Even though I was dialing in WOT, the ECU actually gave me that for less than 5% of my time on track and typically only above 130MPH at mid strait. From my own personal experience on West Coast tracks, the difference between 180HP and 210HP only becomes apparent for the last 100yds before the braking zone. In a race, that's a big deal, for a track day not so much, on the street its totally academic.

In that context, the reality of 200HP street fighters/naked bikes is a nonsense - because modern ECU's with multi axis MTU's wont actually give it you on the street. If it did, you'd have to get off the throttle anyway.

What we get with a Tuono - as Blackfin made clear - is gobs of stump pulling torque where we can actually use it on the street.

My track day buddy and I bought and built a pair of identical stonking R1M's. My buddy still has his, which like mine did, makes >205 HP. When we ride fast canyons together - I have zero problems keeping up with him and occasionally showing him a wheel on my 2016 TV4F with "only" ~178 crank HP."

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Bmac, respect. No, I'm not afraid to call out fakes. I also respect this forum enough to where I pay to be here. The first time I posted an ad here, and sold parts, the first 19.99 went to the forum. I think it auto renews? I don't know. A forum without trash is worth paying for.

I would be embarrassed to list a bike for sale as a free member. That doesn't feel respectful, but that costs money.

So no, respect. I have said mean things to people I care about. That's true, and that's not cool at all. I'll try to do better. However, I promise to double down on fakes and frauds and maybe even turn the volume up on that. That's part if staying respect worthy, for me.

I won't claim to know your 20 euro5 bikes, but my mod list is longer than most. I know the best this bike can offer, and worst. I felt like a dork listing the mods. I know enough,about this bike , to know why Kawasaki had the idea to build it,from back in 2009.

I've also helped people. Most of that , in private. Up to an including sending free parts, at my expense. Why? I feel good about acting in a respectful manner ven of rhe typing is only so-so, and giving something back. I'm not here trying to use the place , for free ads and demanding change, or help from the mods.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Italy has the same GDP as California, and they have 20 million more people in Italy. They need someone like Mussolini to boss them around to accomplish anything

I don't know how many years I worked on Italian equipment. Close to 20. Italy owns the small coffee, and strange drink market, with their machines. Lots of crazy labratory equipment as well that does certain things related to holding exact temperatures.

We value F350 Ford's that last for 500,000 miles. Italian products are not like that.

We can leave room here for the guy who rode his Italian bike 200,000 trouble free miles. That's pushing it. Let's go 25k. That happens. It also doesn't, often enough to notice. They will spend the money on an improved touch screen, even when the thing won't run without daily maintenance. It's form over function.

From working on a few Aprilia, too many Ducati and other Italian bikes, they won't spend 25.00 on fixing the engine . Reliability just isn't a high priority. It's on the list, but its not very high up.

Reactions: Energydrinkvape

·
Registered
47 Posts
My QS must be a bit better tuned than some others. I don't have to be WOT to upshift not even close. It's not that clunky (except of course from 1st to 2nd). It's timing is a bit more than a race setup, but then it's not a race bike. Downshift don't need a closed throttle although pretty close to it. I wouldn't want it on a race bike, but for this street sport tourer it seems fine to me. When I bought the bike I didn't think I would even engage the QS. I tried it out and used it about 50% of the time, then as time went on I know find myself using it for except the 1-2 gears, as most often the wife is on and I usually launch slower and smoother.
This is exactly how I find mine. I don’t need to be at WOT. I up shift and varying throttle positions. From 1-2 it’s harsh/abrupt like you said, at lower speeds with not much throttle opening. If I am launching it it’s fine. Down shifts are good too with closed throttle or almost closed. Slow speeds around town it’s not great but it isn’t meant for slower speeds.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
175 Posts
This is exactly how I find mine. I don’t need to be at WOT. I up shift and varying throttle positions. From 1-2 it’s harsh/abrupt like you said, at lower speeds with not much throttle opening. If I am launching it it’s fine. Down shifts are good too with closed throttle or almost closed. Slow speeds around town it’s not great but it isn’t meant for slower speeds.
I don't need to be at WOT either, but it works best if you keep the upshifts over 6,000 rpms. Downshifts at completely closed throttle also work best. I also don't use it for 1-2 upshifts or 2-1 downshifts--a little abrupt for these. One of the better quickshifters I've had.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I like the review. The world doesn't need another bike review that talks about the rim tape you are going to add.

Maybe the tech stuff doesn't appeal to non riders, but I love honest and accurate tech info. Your voice has that "this guy knows what he's talking about" sound..

I'm docking you a full letter grade due to lack of nudity, but the video is a solid B.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Dga, you have to read through this article. It confirms just what you said about the quickshifter and talks but what is being done to fix the issue. Until we have this new technology, you pretty much have to use the quickshifter at higher rpm levels.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My lengthy and overly technical YouTube review:

2021 Ninja 1000sx In-Depth Review | Features & Functions
Nice review! I haven't ridden the new models, but I've always felt like a quickshifter is overrated if you've learned how to shift properly and know what you can do using and not using the clutch. I've rarely bought any manf. aftermarket parts because they're so overpriced and panniers definitely are. I have my own soft luggage. Aren't about 90% of all apps overrated? And the comment about the seat foam can be applied to any Kawasaki except maybe touring and cruising bikes.

201 - 220 of 238 Posts