Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer has just gotten a 1000SX in stock. As mentioned previously in the New Member thread, I'm 74 (but fit...5'10", 145 lbs...work out regularly, eat well) and considering trading my '17 BMW S1000RR for the SX, mainly for comfort plus sportbike performance.

I've read previously that the seat and windscreen are two "cons" to this bike. What say you? I can ride my S1000RR for 300 miles in the mountains and don't find the seating all that uncomfortable, so if the Kawi seat is as bad as some say I might have to reconsider my plan to trade. Also, the windscreen...this is a problem for a lot of bikes, not just the SX. Is an aftermarket screen going to be required to keep wind noise within reason. My RR's screen is the taller BMW screen and with it my head is in mostly clear air. Is the SX screen throwing turbulent air into your helmet?

Finally...tell me what you DON'T like about the SX. I'm already leaning toward it because of the things people DO like.

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
404 Posts
Just get the 1000SX, you won't regret it. What I don't like is overwritten by what I like.

Besides, I get to spend more time riding it rather than baby-sitting German machineries in the garage.
I was an avid BMW person and have had enough of baby-sitting vehicles.
I bought cars/SUV/bikes to ride, not do baby-sitting.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'm 75 and 5/6th. I changed the rear seat for my wife, but I use the factory from seat. I also use the factory wind screen. However I'm 5'7" so you being taller may want a taller screen. Myself I like clean air, so the factory works for me one stop down from the highest. No pet peeves, it's the second best bike I have owned out of about 50!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my SX! The seat was slightly painful as the ridges on the seat put pressure on my hamstrings, but a thousand miles later the seat is perfect. No more pain. Spent 6 hours on it the other day, no complaints. I replaced the windshield with a Puig and keep it on the 2nd from the lowest setting. Perfect for highway and all other riding conditions. My helmet is in clean air and my body is well protected. The windshield gets loud in the 3rd and 4th positions. The wind also starts to tug at my shoulders in the more vertical settings.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
You're right to think the seat isn't that great and you'll probably want to replace it like most of us have but once you have you'll have the bike you described as wanting. Besides, you should have enough money left after the BMW->Ninja swap to afford a great seat (or get it redone to your liking). It's cheaper/easier to change the seat than the paint color.

I got my first N1k 10 years ago at 64 and still riding one (with an aftermarket seat). I'm still doing pretty easy 400-500 mile days in our mountains (and Oregon's and California's and western Canada's mountains).

Reactions: BEARR

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm 75 and 5/6th. I changed the rear seat for my wife, but I use the factory from seat. I also use the factory wind screen. However I'm 5'7" so you being taller may want a taller screen. Myself I like clean air, so the factory works for me one stop down from the highest. No pet peeves, it's the second best bike I have owned out of about 50!
Ok, I gotta ask. What's your #1 bike?

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
We have at least 10 windshield options. None of them are more than 129.00 and it takes 4 screws to change one. I think most of us have several shields for different weather conditions.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sometimes I thinking what I should be a little bit older to own this bike. I’m just 37 years old.
I bought this bike in my 20s...no other bike fit the bill of 100+ hp, inline 4, full fairings, comfortable, decent electronics, and a great price ($10k otd).

If I was the OP I wouldn't trade in the S1k and just have both. You're 74...just use your 401k.

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
169 Posts
I found the OEM seat intolerable, like every Kawasaki I've owned. I got a Sargent--it's a lot better, but not perfect. I still need a break about 120-150 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000 SX SE, 2022 Z900RS, 2022 SV650
110 Posts
My local dealer has just gotten a 1000SX in stock. As mentioned previously in the New Member thread, I'm 74 (but fit...5'10", 145 lbs...work out regularly, eat well) and considering trading my '17 BMW S1000RR for the SX, mainly for comfort plus sportbike performance.

I've read previously that the seat and windscreen are two "cons" to this bike. What say you? I can ride my S1000RR for 300 miles in the mountains and don't find the seating all that uncomfortable, so if the Kawi seat is as bad as some say I might have to reconsider my plan to trade. Also, the windscreen...this is a problem for a lot of bikes, not just the SX. Is an aftermarket screen going to be required to keep wind noise within reason. My RR's screen is the taller BMW screen and with it my head is in mostly clear air. Is the SX screen throwing turbulent air into your helmet?

Finally...tell me what you DON'T like about the SX. I'm already leaning toward it because of the things people DO like.

Thank you all!!
Hi BEARR,
Firstly, how about clearly saying if your SX is the current version or a pre 2020 version ??? Many here refer to their older bike Z1000SX when they hear Ninja 1000 said.
Windscreens are very much not the same between old and new. I had the later currently new 2020 version, and it's windscreen in the lowest position was like riding a Naked bike.
I am 1800 mm tall, 6' for the non metric here, and approaching 70.
The screen got noisier as the angle of the screen cranked up. It doesn't get higher, as in vertically, just angles forward to become more vertical.
Seat is OK for the time most people ride till they need a stretch of the legs or re fuel. In my opinion, the seat height is too high. 25 mm lower would be ideal to lower weight on the hands.
Comfort comes via the excellently supple suspension - a magic carpet ride that the older Z1000SX did not have apparently.

What did I like least, you ask ?
Overpriced, Overweight, and lacking in instant bottom end power at lower RPM's. It's not a sportsbike, it's a fat sports tourer that could easily loose 25 kg from the bodywork and frame.
It's certainly NOT a S1000RR made with a Kawasaki badge.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: axif and MicMac

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
The s1000rr sells for 20k..closer to 25k, all in, if you get a good deal . The Ninja? You should be otd for 13k. Maybe even 15 if you pay Covid prices.

Is there anyone in the world who would mistake one for the other. Even if price was the only thing they knew?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Weighing in here. I've got a '21 1000sx and absolutely love it. The OEM seat is fantastic for me (6'4" 220 pounds). I swapped out of the OEM extended windscreen and like it as well.

What I don't like? Not much. The quickshifter is garbage. It's ok going up but terrible going down. Seems like it's tuned for pure track riding. The Kawi Rideology app is hot fu%^ing garbage. Not even worth installing. IDK about their new SPIN app though. Hopefully that one's better? The brakes are a bit soft for my taste, but still plenty good. The cruise control is a bit finicky, but again, not a big deal. I'm really nitpicking here. The N1K is an amazing bike.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
I think the funniest thing I've ever read was when one of our Houston guys talked about Kawasaki's app . If I'm not mistaken, he recommended downloading the Yamaha app to your phone. He said it worked better.

A question. Is it cost prohibitive to have apple, or Google build a OEM motorcycle app that works? You know how they have Brembo build brakes, fcc build clutches, why not let the experts do what they do best?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The s1000rr sells for 20k..closer to 25k, all in, if you get a good deal . The Ninja? You should be otd for 13k. Maybe even 15 if you pay Covid prices.

Is there anyone in the world who would mistake one for the other. Even if price was the only thing they knew?
Forgive me for being dense, but what are you saying here?

·
Registered
853 Posts

What are you saying man, you don't think the world's #1 superbike is comparable to a $12k street bike?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts