Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the vance and hines db killers in the brawlers today and this is the sound ive been looking for, it took away the hollow sound made the tone deeper very happy with looks and sound now.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Great - glad you are happy with them. Just for others who are considering these. You don't have to go with the factory db killers. There are many aftermarket ones that will fit. I about a set for my Brawlers for about $30 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
One thing i noticed about the factory db killers is the bell end has some weight to it which i think changes the resonant frequencey of the sound that takes the hollow sound out of the exhaust, pretty good fit and finish i give it a 5 star. The two top exhaust are the hardest to fit because of full penetration welds where the hanger welds to the pipes, i took a half round file on a angle and filed them down a little and the db killers slid right in. Were they worth the price? I think they were worth every penney i paid for them and the sound is awsome and definately tones the brawlers down, actually i wasnt expecting the results i got.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I personally think the db killers should have come with them from the factory. Not some cheap way to milk more money from you later. When you look at the cost of the exhaust, the db killers cost about 60% of the original exhaust if you order it in black.

This is just a bit crazy and smacks of price gouging as far as I am concerned. At the same time, I believe anyone can spend their money they way they want to.

I went for a ride with my non V&H db killers and I am pretty happy with them. They might be a bit too quiet now but they are adjustable so I'll play around with them a bit. They are definitely louder than stock though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I went for an extended ride with my inexpensive db killers in their "loudest" configuration. I can't feel any loss of power compared to the open Brawlers.

With respect to noise, there isn't a lot of difference at idle. Above 7k they are definitely quieter. At cruise between 70-80 the wind noise about balances out the exhaust. Above 80 the wind noise is louder. The intake noise if hard on the gas is louder from about 75 on up unless I am at about 9k or higher in a gear.

I think I might have about the right compromise. It isn't hard to adjust them, just pull the baffles and move a little restrictor plate. At the moment I am wide open.

If you look down the baffle, you can see little holes on the side. I can put the restrictor plate in any one of these. Moving toward the end of the pipe restricts it more when in place. Definitely worth the $30 I spent.

i will note one thing though. The just threaded the side of the baffle and it is easy to over torque them. I am going to play it safe and buy some locknuts and put on the inside once I am pretty certain I have the noise attenuation I need.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice set up good job, a very rewarding expierience to try and solve a problem then after research, come up with a solution. I think thats one of the elements i enjoy with motorcycles is actually doing a little work on them myself, find it relaxing

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually these factory db killers might be to quite, havent been able to ride it with them in yet because of weather but quite from idle to quick 3000 rpm throttle blips

·
Registered
828 Posts
I read on some site where they actually measure the sound reduction with the factory one. As I recall it was only like 1 or 2 db at idle and only about 3 db up top.

I didn't think that would be enough so that was another reason why I didn't go with the V&H ones. I figured with the adjustable ones, if they were too loud while being wide open, I could try different settings of the internal restrictor to get where I wanted to be.

One thing though I noticed with the ones I sourced is it is important to make sure that the baffle axis is parallel to the pipe's. They aren't a super snug fit so they can be off axis a bit. When one of the 4 was like this, it made a weird sound and setup what I would describe as a harmonic resonance.

I've experienced this on other bikes so I stopped real quick to check. On other bikes I didn't have 4 of them to deal with. ;) I noticed one of them wasn't as straight as the others, moved it, and all was good.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know just listening to my sound clips i made of before and after its like day and night in the difference in the sound at idle, i was actually prepared to make further modifications to the inserts after reading up on them, but now since of the sound reduction its not going to be neccessary

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After finally getting to take a road trip on the bike. Im confirming the factory db killers are perfect, didnt even get any complaints from the wife, only worry now is how long that thin urban brawler hanger will last before it cracks because its so thin. Im afraid it want be long before one of them cracks due to vibration.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought the black ones i think the db killers they sale are stainless only, i thought about the stainless ones but i didnt want to polish thm when they started changing colors so i went with the black, the db killers look good in there i like how they made the screw to hold them in place dissapears in the db killer.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After actually getting to log some miles im glad i dropped a bill on the factory db killers couldnt be more perfect the sound is amazing not to loud and not to quite, i guess that means its just right lol. I dont mind spending money on my bike if i like the product and the final end product.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I love the bike without the db killers and brawlers. I just hope I can find a way to make them reasonable with the arrow header. Almost afraid to order it without knowing.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea brokesolid i know what you mean, somebody on you tube has a short clip of headers and brawlers uncorked and what a beast sounded like a dragster dam it was loud, no way could i stand that driving around for any distance at all, the db killers would help im sure.

·
Registered
828 Posts
A complete header and the open Brawlers is race bike loud. There is no muffling anywhere. I like my hearing too much to consider that combo. I'd go have to have the db killers and even then that may not be enough attenuation.

I like to fly low and I don't want to attract any undue attention from LEO. That combo definitely would do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
DB killers

Just bought some Vance & Hines Brawlers 43517 polished/chrome look and the factory DB killers 26527. I have not received them yet but have a couple of questions. I have a 2016 ninja 1000 and plan to install them at 1000 miles (currently 400miles). I have already installed LED head/side lights, frame sliders, tank protector, fender eliminator, pucks

1/ When you install the V&H DB killers how far in do you install the DB killers for best sound? i.e whats the distance from the tip to the DB killers top when installed, or from tip to where the hole should be drilled? I understand a bit of filing may be needed on the inside of the top pipe i.e. where the weld is

2/ I assume the V&H Brawlers need a hole drilling for the insert screw ?

3/ Under engine braking do the exhausts exhibit any snap, crackle, pop?

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey simon allen the brawlers already have the hole in the pipes for the db killer, and the vance and hines db killers come with threaded holes and a set screw,all you have to do is insert them line up the holes and install set screw So no drilling on your part, you can see if the hanger weld is protruding on the inside of the pipes, i used a half round file to knock them down, then i took a flapperwheel inserted in a drill with 80 grit sand paper and kept polishing the outside of the inserts till they would push in without to much resistance and lined the holes up, you might want to try it without the inserts first, i thought they was loud but after a couple of months with the inserts installed i decided they wasnt and pulled them back out and could actually use a little more sound now. There is a low rumble when you are downshifting to slow down but it sounds great, i think you will enjoy them. When i first put them on i was like dam this is loud but like i said above after a couple of months with the inserts in they wasnt loud enough and my wife likes the sound with the inserts out.

Reactions: simonnallen

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went for an extended ride with my inexpensive db killers in their "loudest" configuration. I can't feel any loss of power compared to the open Brawlers.

With respect to noise, there isn't a lot of difference at idle. Above 7k they are definitely quieter. At cruise between 70-80 the wind noise about balances out the exhaust. Above 80 the wind noise is louder. The intake noise if hard on the gas is louder from about 75 on up unless I am at about 9k or higher in a gear.

I think I might have about the right compromise. It isn't hard to adjust them, just pull the baffles and move a little restrictor plate. At the moment I am wide open.

If you look down the baffle, you can see little holes on the side. I can put the restrictor plate in any one of these. Moving toward the end of the pipe restricts it more when in place. Definitely worth the $30 I spent.

i will note one thing though. The just threaded the side of the baffle and it is easy to over torque them. I am going to play it safe and buy some locknuts and put on the inside once I am pretty certain I have the noise attenuation I need.

i a looking fo these baffles any one have a part number or web link ? Thanks Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts