Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's hard to believe but lacking any serious wet weather riding, I will accept your observation.

That's a head scratcher. So Kawi did this for function not form. They were trying to keep us dry not be the object of scorn?

The reflector on the bottom was for safety or they had to put something on the bottom of the plastic?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Btw, without the fender, water goes up to my helmet, with the fender, I have a lot in my back but not on my helmet. Will try to put it back permanently :( Been caught in heavy rain in our 2000 miles trip last week...

·
Registered
94 Posts
i agree that it looks much better by getting rid of the fender. Not sure why they even make them like that in the first place.
Physics. When riding in the wet especially, the water will sling away from the tire, in all directions. If the end of the fender is less than 90 degrees perpendicular to the edge of the tire, the water comes up on the tail, the seat and your back.

I still don't get why the manufacturers can't integrate the turn signals with the tail light

you're telling me on this big slab of tail light they couldn't make the two outside corners into turn signals??
Federal law requires a minimum distance between the signals. The GSX-R is obviously legal, most likely something like the Motodynamics light isn't. FMVSS says minimum separation is 9 inches from the center of each lamp.

I think its legal issues

Thats what I've read.
Yep.

I didn't mind the fender on the Ninja 300 BUT that extending appendage and reflector tail crosses the line.
From looking at a couple of pics, the 300 fender extends past the tire, so no issues there.

That's hard to believe but lacking any serious wet weather riding, I will accept your observation.

That's a head scratcher. So Kawi did this for function not form. They were trying to keep us dry not be the object of scorn?

The reflector on the bottom was for safety or they had to put something on the bottom of the plastic?
The dangling reflector is another federal law. Technically, there needs to be a reflector facing the rear, red on the rear facing the sides and amber on the front, facing the sides.

FHMVSS Standard 108 is actually a fairly fascinating subject.
I'm now in violation of the reflector law, all 3.
I just went and checked again, there is no minimum size requirement for them though. I'll probably see if I can get some small ones just to pass the letter of the law.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My boss and I were talking about this recently. I am not a particular fan of the aesthetic look of the fender.

He explained about the tire sending debris, water, etc while riding. The more sticky the compound of tire, the more debris.

Then he informed me of another manufacture that has a fender mounting off the rear of the swing arm that hugs the rear tire more, to provide the same effect with the big stinger-like fender extension.

Which left me wondering - why not make something similar aftermarket? Clearly many people are not a fan of the dangling fenders.

I will most likely go with a Yosh eliminator eventually. But that's not to say I wouldn't be looking at another option if they become available.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Aprilia and Ducati both have bikes with mudguards like that from the factory. I've found one that was custom fit to a Z1000/Ninja 1000, but didn't really follow through as I think they're uglier than stock fenders.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah, those look similar.

I wonder if they are effective. If they are, I could see using this in replacement of the long tail of the stock fender. It would be a cleaner look with it being cleaned up.

It does obstruct the wheel, but it is less crap coming off of the back end.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts