Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
I would need my oven. That would lead to, "Are you making dinner?".

I had my guy coat a Suzuki Dr 350 frame. He had leftover powder from a high end job, so he offered to do the frame.

It was metallic gray and it looked like it was six inches thick. I felt bad whan I actually took it off road and covered it with dirt and mud.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
207 Posts
i'm not sure if eastwood still makes their "brake gray." it's not cheap for a spray can and it won't last forever but it'll work better than rattle can or 2k urethane clear coat. VHT also makes something, i think in black.
the other option is using silicone brake fluid. it's quite a bit more expensive and i believe less hygroscopic than traditional brake fluid. it's also considered "safe" for urethane paints.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Great ideas. I thought about covering gold with black. It will look like hell if it's not durable.

I have used that DOT 5.0 brake fluid before. I know 5.1 is not the same. 5.1 might be a legit option.

Back in 1982, or such. The magazines talked about how awesome 5.0 fluid was. Extremely durable because it wasn't hygroscopic, like normal brake fluid was. The perfect fluid for your brakes as water could not contaminate it. I believe it's boiling point was also extremely high. It's great to be 17 and acting on only about 50% of the info you need to know.

I ran it all summer, and it was fine. Maybe the brakes were a little soft, but back then we didn't have good brakes, anyway. I didn't remember it being in the system as I parked the bike for the winter.

When spring rolled around, my bike wouldn't.....roll, that is. Front and rear brakes locked solid.

As I opened the bleeder valve, water shot out. My dad had a heated, non insulated garage. The water inside the caliper had thawed and frozen 200,000 times, or more, as my dad was out there constantly. It turns out, water still gets into the brake system. It was far better to let it contaminate the fluid than to have it be a separate layer.

I lucked out in that Yamaha did not sell rebuild kits, but the rebuild kits for some Honda dirt bike would fit my bike. It was still an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
1998 Valkyrie, 2021 Ninja 1000SX, 2005 R1200GS
207 Posts
i found a catalyzed aerosol for calipers. they say it's brake fluid resistant but i haven't seen an sds or tds to see what kind of base it is.

i've use catalyzed spray cans before with quite a bit of success. it's nice when painting smaller jobs and not wanting to get out and clean the spray gun. a can of spray max has done 2 coats on a fuel tank for me, i imagine this will do quite a few calipers. maybe calipers and wheels. i prefer paint on wheels over powder coat. it lasts longer when changing tires. again, this isn't cheap.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
That sounds like a good winter project. That's all I'm looking for. Not even a project. Just a winter change, maybe? I'm at that point where I don't need upgrades. I've done what I want to. There isn't any new bikes I'm interested in.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.