Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
@LaxDfns15 can you put the word "Ninja" in the blinker deletes?

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
2. Grab Handle Deletes - Replace your grab handles with OEM-fit, low profile, block offs.
  • $55 per set
  • Hex bolts and washers included. Re-use OEM washers in between bike and part.
  • 24oz weight reduction per side.
  • 20 hour print time.
Do you still have these and any idea how much it would cost to ship them to India? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
2. Grab Handle Deletes - Replace your grab handles with OEM-fit, low profile, block offs.
  • $55 per set
  • 20 hour print time.
Do you still have these and any idea how much it would cost to ship them to India? Thanks.
If you'll PM him I believe he is set up to receive notifications. Click on his avatar and select private massage if your not already familiar with it.
He has for me been great to work with. Although the last time we exchanged correspondence he was working through an issue with his printer not liking him at the moment. He seems to be a bit of a of a perfectionist.

Reactions: agurudev

·
Registered
571 Posts
By comparison, I recently worked with Shapeways.com, and sent them my CAD files to see how much it would cost for them to 3D print the ones I developed out of solid Delrin, my cost...........yeah, my cost is $171 USD per pair. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
He's going to put the "Declaration of Independence " on my set. He said the letters will be small, but do-able.

I just wondered if they gave you price breaks for mass quantity like you see on some of the custom part websites. I figured you had yto go to the ridiculous level for a price break.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sent lax a pm about those 3D printed handle deletes. Has anyone heard back from him lately? I’m not sure if that’s still an active gig

·
Registered
2016 Ducati Hyperstrada 939
383 Posts
Ive sent him a PM as well but that was just less than 12 hours ago....

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes I am still active. I'm really busy trying to get my house ready to sell at the moment. That should hopefully slow down once we actually get the house in order (this week), and I stop spending every free second fixing things. I will answer PM's and emails (Avintage) today. Email is usually better for me, [email protected].

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Are you trying to tell me that your life is more than making these grab handle covers? Next it will be that you have a job, or something other than these handle deletes for income.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Shipping to India would be about $20 extra so $75 for a basic set or additional for extra work. I currently have black, white, and green plastic.

Reactions: agurudev

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
By comparison, I recently worked with Shapeways.com, and sent them my CAD files to see how much it would cost for them to 3D print the ones I developed out of solid Delrin, my cost...........yeah, my cost is $171 USD per pair. Ouch!
Yeah solid Delrin would be crazy expensive. A powder bed printer you're looking at a nylon variant that's temperature/moisture resistant most likely. I make mine out of ABS plastic at a 5% fill (rest is hollow). The cost of mine doesn't really come from the material, moreso the time taken to develop, print, and ship. Most 3D printing prototype shops are going to run you $100-300 per part depending on size. And that's with you sending them your CAD file.

On a side note we're probably getting a new HP powder bed printer at work for our prototypes. I'm really excited. Our current machines are 8+ years old from EOS.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Bumping this up. We are currently packing up our house to prepare to move into our new one mid October. My printer will probably be packed up this weekend unless I have any orders, so if anyone is interested in parts please let me know quickly. I've gotten it down to a turn around time of 2 days to print and ship grab handle deletes. Then it's 1-3 days USPS priority shipping. Printer will be out of commission for about 1.5 months until we can get into the new house, and I can find a place to put it.

I also have a new finish. I've got some black Herculiner bed liner that I've been using to refresh the plastics on my 11 year old truck. It sprays on really evenly and gives a slightly textured look while filling in the lines from the printer. This does increase turn around time as the bed liner takes over a day longer to cure than normal paint. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to lump everything into one For Sale thread. I think that will be easier to catalog everything. If you haven't seen it here is my ideas/design progress thread: 3D Printed Parts.

All parts developed on a 2011. Fitment on later model years will be updated when available. All parts are ABS plastic in either white or grey color if unfinished.

• All prices listed are for base design shipped to in continental US. International shipping and possibly HI, AK will be extra.
  • Payment through PayPal only.
  • Pricing for custom designs will be negotiated when ordered. Estimates/quick concepts are free. Any item can be customized.
  • 10% discount for buying multiple sets.
  • Pricing is based off of design and development time, not necessarily material cost. Commercial CAD knowledge/work is most likely more expensive than you think. I am willing to sell model files, but they will be nearly as expensive as buying the parts. Selling them is also on good faith that you won't just start making and selling them yourself.
  • These parts are made to order, so lead times can potentially be long depending on orders.

Items Currently Available
1. Mirror Deletes - Basic block off plates, nothing fancy.
  • $11 per set
  • Carriage bolts included. Re-use the OEM nuts.
  • 10oz weight reduction per side.
  • 3 hour print time.
  • USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMOVING MIRRORS WITHOUT PROPER REPLACEMENTS CAN BE ILLEGAL AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

• $55 per set
  • 20 hour print time.

3. Turn Signal Deletes - Replace the current turn signals with OEM-fit block offs.
  • $65 per set
  • No additional hardware needed. Re-use OEM screws.
  • 4oz weight reduction per side.
  • 22 hour print time.
  • USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMOVING TURN SIGNALS WITHOUT PROPER REPLACEMENTS CAN BE ILLEGAL AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

4. Front Wheel Reflector GoPro Mount - Replace one front wheel reflector with GoPro mount. hardware pending
  • $15 per item.
  • Hardware unknown - I think I need to get some more screws.
  • Enables a GoPro quick connect mount to be attached to the part. A GoPro will not directly mount to this part.
  • 2 hour print time.
  • It is never advised to have an un-tethered GoPro on a moving vehicle.

Items in Development
1. Swingarm Protector above spools. Protects the swingarm against scratches from a rear stand.
2. Phone mount for triple tree.
3. See ideas thread listed above.

Parts Finishing - Shown in images below.
I will offer a few choices for finishing parts. My printer is an extruder (layers of plastic filament that are pressed through a small nozzle) so the parts will have a slightly ridged finish to them if they are not modified. It is only noticeable up close.
1. Unfinished - Rough edges will be sanded out, but otherwise untouched.
2. Unfinished painted - Rough edges will be sanded out, 2 layers of black paint, 2 layers of clear coat.
3. Bondo - Bondo Spot Putty applied to visible surfaces and sanded smooth. Will result in a smooth finish when painted.
4. Bondo and Paint - Smooth surface finish, 2 layers of black paint, 2 layers of clear coat.
Are you still making this????

21 - 40 of 51 Posts