Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody heard any rumors on when Kawasaki will finally offer cruise control on the Ninja 1000? With the electronic stability computer already included I'd have to think it would be practically no cost to add cruise? Does the Concours have cruise...and if so couldn't they just use the same unit? It's literally the only thing keeping the N1k from being the perfect bike for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Concours doesn't have cruise. Something about the type of throttle. Silliness...flagship tourer with no cruise.

Yet they put it on the H2SX...go figure!

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I have a question, Boss Hogg....and welcome to the forum.

There's no confirmation that Kawasaki will do anything to the ninja 1000, so this is just for fun. Let's say Kawasaki does give it all the upgrades of the current versys 1000. I did not look at it much, but I THINK you only get cruise control on the more expensive Versys 1000se, and that bike is 17,999. Are you still interested in a ninja 1000 that costs that much? No doubt Kawasaki gives it everything else .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking unregistered for the past year. I'm shocked to hear the concours doesn't have cruise and yet the versys possibly does? But yeah in any case to answer your question - no I wouldn't be interested for that kind of price. But I'm also a tightwad so there's that. I mean I'm not even interested in the Ninja 1000 if it can't be had for under 10k...I was only seriously shopping them when I saw some deals in the 8k range for "nearly new". It's crazy how expensive bikes have gotten since I last bought one (2006 Ninja 650). The "adventure" bikes help in some regard - I have no interest in those but they also reduce demand (and price) on the bikes I actually do want.

To me it just seems like if the Ninja 1k already has the computer in it that monitors speed and movement it would/should be easy to add cruise. I did read an article last year where a reviewer asked Kawi about it and they said some nonsense like "the rider demographic is such that they don't really care about cruise".

·
Registered
698 Posts
That would be me. I'm probably in the minority but I wouldn't pay an extra nickel cruise control on a sporty bike. My smart-*** retort to those who want it on a sport bike is to get a better route planner. The Ninja ain't no freeway cruiser! IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a Go Cruise. Cost about $50 and is as useful as any cruise control. I'd never get an accessory electronic one installed after using it.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I also like the Go Cruise, In its second edition though with the Go Cruisr II. It's really just a throttle lock and not a cruise control by any meaning. None the less though a welcome relief to the wrist and after 2 1/2 years and close to 40000 miles of useing it I now sometimes engage it unconsciously.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ironically, two recent model bikes I've owned had cruise control and between 'em the c/c was engaged just once, for about five miles! It was the strange feeling of disconnection that made me switch it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd like electronic cruise someday, just for when I get stuck for a couple hours on the interstate... but the Throttlemeister throttle friction lock works... about all I really need for those times.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I’m with Avintage, the go cruise is priceless.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Bike needs to have a fly by wire throttle. Then cruise control and even auto blip downshift is on the table. Also would benefit traction control and allow smoother intervention. They've been refreshing the bike every 3 years so maybe 2020 model will see that happen. Though the whole platform in general is getting long in the tooth so one wonders if it will have a EX500 or KLR650 like lifespan or they come up with something new eventually.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've tried all the cheap throttle locks (GoCruise, Kykurayn, etc.) and they all slowly slip back down to 0. Even when I try a couple of extra rubber bands. Can anyone recommend one that won't slip that doesn't cost a fortune? Maybe the aluminum Go Cruise?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I use my cruise control on my H2 SX SE often and I now want it on all my bikes. The Kawasaki design sucks as you need a mile long thumb to engage and adjust speed, but still better than not being there. It also doesn't track elevation changes well, falls behind in hills, runs away a bit on decline. I'm still overall happy.

One cool feature is that it lightly pulls back on throttle if you are in more than a 20 degree lean. It takes some getting used to, and I only use that trick on roads I know. Clearly it is using traction control features of the IMU.

I rode two 700 miles days backed by a 500 mile day last year. The cruise control was priceless. I have an issue where my hands buzz if on the bars for a long length of time. It has nothing to do with vibration on the bars, and the H2 SX SE has none anyways. It turned the slab sections to acceptable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a brakeaway throttle lock on my C14, (was put on by the original owner), it tripled my love to the bike, and was the main reason to regret selling the bike.

Throttle locks are not cruise controls, they serve similar purpose, but won’t lock you on a fixed speed for very long time (unless you are in absolutely flat, no wind area). However they are much simpler to operate (just one single push bottom with your right thumb, button easily reachable with your right hand naturally holding on the grip) compared to my BMW cruise control (slide the button, then click to lock the speed... on the top left handle bar!).

I promised to myself any other bike I own, should/will have a brakeaway throttle lock.
Hope this didn’t sound like an advertisement, I just had a great experience with the product, and also great customer service when i lost some parts trying to disassemble it!

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
The aluminum go cruise works great, I’ve been running mine for 2 years. If you get it set right it works good if it slips a little it’s easy to adjust on the fly. Never had it drop more than 3 or 4 mph, the barely nudging it put it right back, what I usually do is set it 5 mph over the speed limit and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting feedback all - I've never seen or heard of a go cruise...just other brand throttle locks. I'm going to do some research on that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a Throttlemeister on my 15. It won't hold at an exact speed for long periods but it is very easy to adjust on the fly and gives your throttle hand plenty of time to relax. I would recommend it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts