Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can cruise control be fitted to The Ninja 1000?.On a day cruise around the Peninsular a cruise control is not needed; but; get out on the main highway for several days riding and I believe it will be essential for me to retain my licence.
Now the bike is run in it literally flies! And I find I am checking the speedo so much I lose enjoyment, particularly at 19kms over the limit ,3 demerits and over $400 fine.:mad::mad:
On previously owned Beemers one could set the limit and sit back and enjoy the ride.
Help needed pronto please .

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are different mechanical throttle lock setups available, but without throttle by wire, I don't know that we could get true cruise control on the N1K.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friend has just advised of a business in NSW that has an electronic cruise control; so will contact them for same Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks guys,

I hope you will keep us informed, I'm always up for an upgrade in this area.

I currently have a Break-Away Throttle lock style Cruise control from BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

I'm very impressed for it being a mechanical device. It is very quick and easy to engage and disengage. It also automatically disengages when the front brake lever is applied.

It is so easy and natural to use I find I use it constantly even if its only for a small amount of time. It gives my hand much needed small rests. I find it is supper easy to disengage with it's thumb lever as I bring my hand back to the throttle.

It has been one of my best modifications to my bike as I have quite a bit of repetitive motion injury's in both hands, so any help here really helps prolong my riding days. So, Yes... I love this thing.

If it only could maintain constant speed without near constant manual adjustments...

That is why I hope we could have a solution that is not in the $1000.00 range like the example from AU just above I would be sold.

Rick

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have the brakeaway throttle lock that Holoquest mentioned but on another bike. It works great BUT it does take up a fair amount of room on the throttle. Given the small grips on the N1k, there isn't a lot of spare room.

Things like these accessories is how I dumped a lot of money, in a short time, into my N1k. By the time you add this, that and the other, you could have a fair amount into and maybe a different bike could be a better option for some. The lack of cruise was a real PITA for me to be honest.

Since the grips are so small, I used a heavy duty zip tie as my cruise. I put it round the throttle but not super tight. I then rotated the zip tie around the grip until it would rest on the brake lever and keep the throttle from rolling back. Pesto! Instant cruise control for 50 cents. If I grabbed the brake, no issue with impacting the braking. The zip tied wasn't in my way and took up very little room.

Real cruise control is a must on my next bike.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
PS. I just took a look at the conversion rate for the
Motorcycle electronic cruise control | Motorcycle Cruise Controls that just luc found from Australia and the US Price would be about $841.00, still high but seems like the real deal.
That's an amazing product actually... if you look at the installation instructions it's sophisticated. Would love to have it but it's $821 more than my Go Cruise Throttle Lock.

Hopefully Kawi will make cruise control standard on future N1ks. It might be a good marketing move to differentiate the bike a little more on the touring side of the sport touring spectrum.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's an amazing product actually... if you look at the installation instructions it's sophisticated. Would love to have it but it's $821 more than my Go Cruise Throttle Lock.

Hopefully Kawi will make cruise control standard on future N1ks. It might be a good marketing move to differentiate the bike a little more on the touring side of the sport touring spectrum.
that won't happen until they go with ride by wire throttle control.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Motorcycle electronic cruise control | Motorcycle Cruise Controls that just luc found from Australia and the US Price would be about $841.00, still high but seems like the real deal.
The MC Cruise is highly regarded over on the FJR forum. A lot of others (including me) went for the cheaper Murph's (used to be Audiovox) but its not nearly as nice an integration, and I'm not sure if there's room anywhere on the Ninja for the big-a** servo unit on Murph's.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The MC Cruise is highly regarded over on the FJR forum. A lot of others (including me) went for the cheaper Murph's (used to be Audiovox) but its not nearly as nice an integration, and I'm not sure if there's room anywhere on the Ninja for the big-a** servo unit on Murph's.
I bought the electronic Cruise Control from Murph's. I have yet to get it installed. There is room for the servo, the hard part is running the cable. It's basically so long you have to loop it around the engine bay. Maybe it will get installed someday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone know the diameter of the bar? is it 1" .. I am going to get either a GO-Cruise or Vista Cruise..

In case i go with Vista I need correct diameter

·
Registered
709 Posts
Anyone know the diameter of the bar? is it 1" .. I am going to get either a GO-Cruise or Vista Cruise..

In case i go with Vista I need correct diameter
There's a space between the grips and the bar end weights where I measure 22mm with my calipers. This translates to 7/8" and it agrees with the fit charts at Sound Off Recreational, Inc. - Fit Charts
They say our bars are 7/8" and the correct Vista Cruise product for us is the MCUVOO

The Vista Cruise looks pretty slick, but I worry about taking up real estate on the throttle grip. If you go with this, I definitely want to have a look at it, maybe at Alice's Restaurant :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been mulling the idea back and forth since last year.. sure does look like a great product.. but man that's a lot of money lol..

Well considering Kawi doesn't even have cruise control on the concourse yet...

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
I have the brakeaway throttle lock that Holoquest mentioned but on another bike. It works great BUT it does take up a fair amount of room on the throttle. Given the small grips on the N1k, there isn't a lot of spare room.

Things like these accessories is how I dumped a lot of money, in a short time, into my N1k. By the time you add this, that and the other, you could have a fair amount into and maybe a different bike could be a better option for some. The lack of cruise was a real PITA for me to be honest.

Since the grips are so small, I used a heavy duty zip tie as my cruise. I put it round the throttle but not super tight. I then rotated the zip tie around the grip until it would rest on the brake lever and keep the throttle from rolling back. Pesto! Instant cruise control for 50 cents. If I grabbed the brake, no issue with impacting the braking. The zip tied wasn't in my way and took up very little room.

Real cruise control is a must on my next bike.
That throttle lock had to set you back, what, a good 35.00? Cant be throwing money around like that, right?

This method works well, too:

How To: A Guide to Installing the Vista Cruise Throttle Lock - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

I understand how much money you saved in upgrading your ninja, selling it, losing 6000, but ultimately saving a shitload of money in buying the BMW., but I'm afraid the others wont.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Kaoko throttle lock on my V-Strom and love it. Looks stock, always there, easy to use. It is not an electronic solution that will keep the exact speed, but it does a good job on the long boring flats and that is where I want to use the cruise anyway. Revzilla says it will fit the Ninja.

Kaoko Throttle Lock - RevZilla

·
Registered
711 Posts
*facepalm*
Guy buys N1K, dumps a ton of money into it, talks it up, sells it, buys a much more expensive bike, comes to N1K forums to down talk the bike.

Many of the cruise control options, to me, seem cumbersome. The only one I have liked is the Throttle Meister, but it removes the ability to have bar end mirrors. I don't like the idea of "one or the other."

While I don't currently have bar end mirrors installed, I'd like that option, and I think I may go that route.

·
Registered
711 Posts
After looking into the how-to on that thread, I'm very interested in doing that.

From what I gather, we need the 7/8ths version.

I'll be researching this a bit more before I pull the trigger. Cruise isn't a BIG thing for me as I only do so much freeway now. But it would be nice to have the option when I do a freeway run. Otherwise I tend to tickle 100...

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Yes, 7/8 is our bar diameter.

Once concern I have is our throttle housing, It is plastic, so you would be screwing into the plastic.

The older zx6, I believe has a similar throttle that is made from metal.

Still, plastic on plastic...there are plenty of glues that would work.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I could use 3M 8223, or 8115. Both would hold very well for this project.

It's not a hurry up item for me. I do very little freeway running. I have other things I need to get first that are more important (like the mirrors I am buying off of DT). If someone wants to donate a VC 7/8 I'd be happy to do a write up for install. ;p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts