Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Has anybody on this sight been Affected economically, like put out of work with no paycheck coming in. I can see where these people are getting anxious about getting the economy rolling again and I don’t blame them, I think I would want to get the money rolling in again also. Sad part is some of the buisnesses that got the stimulus money is probably putting it in there pockets insteads of helping employes.
That's why I'm hesitant to send money to those restaurant help funds. I can totally see the owner keeping it all and not giving it to the staff who are suffering greatly. And more than half are off the books so there's no way the government can specifically identify them for payment. And as for restaurants at least they can have some take out business. Hair dressers, gym employees, masseuses, tattoo artists, dry cleaners, theatre employees, and even strippers,. can't make a dam cent. Many athletes and teams are donating money to the staff at ball parks, so they may be okay, and Starbucks is still paying their employees full salary (good on them), but the rest are screwed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Has anybody on this sight been Affected economically, like put out of work with no paycheck coming in. I can see where these people are getting anxious about getting the economy rolling again and I don’t blame them, I think I would want to get the money rolling in again also. Sad part is some of the buisnesses that got the stimulus money is probably putting it in there pockets insteads of helping employes.
I am in Bangalore, India. I work with a lot of startups as a consultant, almost all of them have asked me to hold my invoices and/or stop services. They are in turn being held at gunpoint but their customers, which is cyclical.

Since they are not getting paid, they don't have money to pay onwards. No blame there.

Other stats, 60% of MSMEs here are at risk of closure if this extends beyond 3 months.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Covid-19, by selected countries, as at May 10.

Covid_May12.png

The USA & Canada seems to be coming off their peaks, India seems to still be increasing, and Australia has flattened the curve.

It will be interesting to see what happens as various states & countries open up businesses and move away from "lock-down".

The data is collected by John Hopkins University (USA), and the analytics are done by University of Melbourne (Aus). Please note that the Y-axis scale varies from country to country, while the X-axis scale is the same.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Am I reading the graph correctly? Austrialia's numbers are really low! Even at their peak, their numbers were low.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Yes, Australia's numbers are small, compared to the others. It is more the shape of the curve rather than the absolute numbers that is important.

Our population is about 70% the size of Canada, but the preventative measures implemented by our governments (state and federal) have proven to be very effective.

Today (12-May) we only had 8 new cases, country wide, and will soon start to relax some of the "lock-down" rules.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Covid-19, by selected countries, as at May 10.

View attachment 28992

The USA & Canada seems to be coming off their peaks, India seems to still be increasing, and Australia has flattened the curve.

It will be interesting to see what happens as various states & countries open up businesses and move away from "lock-down".

The data is collected by John Hopkins University (USA), and the analytics are done by University of Melbourne (Aus). Please note that the Y-axis scale varies from country to country, while the X-axis scale is the same.
There is some thought that this week and next in India will be the peak. Lets see....

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
One way to compare country results is the "total deaths per million of population".

As at May 10, USA = 244 dpm, Canada = 137, Australia = 4 and India = 2 (??)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
We have not been testing as much as the other countries, so all numbers for India, I would take with a pinch of salt. Currently we are around 0.1% of the total population

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
We have not been testing as much as the other countries, so all numbers for India, I would take with a pinch of salt. Currently we are around 0.1% of the total population
That is what I thought, so I did some more digging around and found some data on testing rates by country.
USA = 2.94% of the total population tested as at 12 May.
Canada = 3.02%
Australia = 3.46%
India = 0.14%.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Even though the testing rate is low in India, and the actual number of confirmed cases is therefore under-reported, the data can be considered as a "random sample", and the shape of the curve used to get some in-sight as to what is happening.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I bought a jug of Listerine at the start of this. I thought either way it;'s not going to be a of waste time and money as it's kept me from sore throats in the past, and worst case would make my breath pleasant in case I had to kiss anyone with my mask on :)
Regardless sometimes the simplest things help, and if it doesn't hurt to use you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (as long as it doens't create fasle confidence).

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
I bought a jug of Listerine at the start of this. << snip >>
I think you may be onto something there Rock. While a little more expensive than Listerine, I found that a daily gargle with Jack's Finest Tennessee Whiskey killed just as many germs & viruses, with the added benefit that after repeated applications, I stopped worrying about infections.

This is a true story. Years ago, maybe 1995, I had to visit China on a number of occasions for business reasons.

The meetings were held in a small rural hotel outside Shanghai where we were told not to drink the water out of the taps. Apparently, the locals were OK to drink it, but overseas visitors had often become sick.

Bottled water was supplied in the meeting room during the day, but sometimes not in the hotel rooms at night, so the trick was to buy a large bottle of vodka at the airport on the way into China and use that to clean your teeth.

Colgate & Vodka, a match made in heaven.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hey anything 60% alcohol or better is fair game. You might have to step your game up and switch to moonshine to ensure you meet the minimum concentration.

I'll have to try that oral hygiene technique.

btw, did the Chinese ask you if your bowl flushed backwards? :LOL:

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
I was watching my favourite reality TV show, Covid-USA, on MSNBC over the week-end and New York Gov. Cuomo made a comment that caught my attention.

Gov. Cuomo said that while the total number of USA confirmed cases of Covid appeared to be in decline, the reality is that the number of confirmed cases in New York was steadily declining, but the rest of the USA was still increasing.

So, I did some data-mining and ran some numbers through a Excel spreadsheet and came up with this graph. Looks like Gov. Cuomo might be right.

It will be interesting to see the Confirmed Case numbers in a week or two, considering that most of NY state will still be in lock-down for the foreseeable future, while most other US states are opening up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I bought a jug of Listerine at the start of this. I thought either way it;'s not going to be a of waste time and money as it's kept me from sore throats in the past, and worst case would make my breath pleasant in case I had to kiss anyone with my mask on :)
Regardless sometimes the simplest things help, and if it doesn't hurt to use you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (as long as it doens't create fasle confidence).
Oh! Here I was just about to down a cup of bleach, followed by a really bright flashlight pointed at my insides! Listerine sounds much better.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When looking at Canada and Australia, you have to consider population density / location. I'm in Montreal which is Canada's epicenter and by far the vast majority of our cases are downtown in the densely populated areas and/or old age homes. With Australia and Canada, most of the country is very sparsely populated so it was easy to get control in those areas. Now think about India......that's not going to be good for quite awhile.....

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Oh! Here I was just about to down a cup of bleach, followed by a really bright flashlight pointed at my insides! Listerine sounds much better.
NO bleach with a flash light is a winning combo. By all means.

All kidding aside even warm water can make the little buggers lose their grip and fall harmlessly into your gut. My primary care doc even told me that. Again, who cares if it's not 100% effective as it costs or risks nothing to do it so why not? As long as you don't go thinking your superman a bit of prevention can go a long way. We tend not to want to take responsibility for our health and let big pharma take responsibility for us. And just look at how great they've been so far.

I read something just today that reported that the vast majority of those under 65 who got seriously sick were either diabetic, pre-diabetic (which I am), and/or seriously overweight (us darker skinned folk have also been found to be more susceptible due to low concentrations of vitamin D in the colder months).
So keep eating your ice cream and scoffing at natural remedies while you wait for big pharma to bail you out of a poor lifestyle. I'd just as soon cut carbs, exercise and take vitamins. Oh, and gargle with some vile liquid that I always gargle with anyway. That's no guarantee but then nothing is, so why not give yourself a fighting chance. Worst case you'll look and feel better and perhaps live longer.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Here is the May 20 snap-shot

Percentage of Population Tested
May 12, USA = 2.94%, Canada = 3.02%, Australia = 3.46%, India = 0.14%.
May 20, USA = 4.30%, Canada = 3.62%, Australia = 3.99%, India = 0.2%

Deaths per Million of Population
May 10, USA = 244, Canada = 137, Australia = 4 and India = *
May 20, USA = 283, Canada = 164, Australia = 4 and India = *

121 - 140 of 185 Posts