Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
People will forget by November 2020....not next year. The fake news media will ensure that! They will spin this in the direction they want. If you tell people on their IPhones what happened (even if it weren't the truth) most of them will eventually agree or believe it to be true.

Regardless of anyone's political leanings, remember when Trump shut off China and Europe? The whole world, including the fake news called him racist. Europe was pissed. China was pissed. The WHO was pissed. Hollywood was pissed. Fast forward less than 30 days later, the same fake news and same Hollywood elites are blaming Trump for NOT closing soon enough!

I have a "friend" on FB. Two weeks ago this guy was posting daily updates to "his story" about encounters with people, proceeding to instruct everyone to "STAY HOME PEOPLE"! Ok maybe not daily but every other damn day he would post this ****. Even his encounters with people at the local grocery stores, he would ***** and whine that people were not staying home. Yesterday, the dickhead posts pictures of him riding his motorcycle, scenery, etc. Giving people GPS coordinates of where he went. WTF dude? How quickly you forget!
This is why I'm not a facebooker :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I still can't wrap my head around this:

(CNN)An estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades -- since 1976

United States stats April 21, 45,172 Total deaths

Soooo why did the guy on the news just now say "there have been an unprecedented amount of funerals this year"?
I looked at NY flu deaths for that flu season and its the same as the corona deaths this year. Just what in the hell is going on?!?! Did people just die without the drama of being on ventilators and thus were not "special cases?"
This isn't far right conspiracy theory stuff, this is statistics. Even if the lockdowns are keeping the deaths in check it's still the same amount of deaths and you never heard a peep about this two years ago. ANd as to the lockdown working that's questionable. I'm going to guess allot of my friends and colleagues were exposed to this already.

Something smells really bad,

·
Registered
237 Posts
I still can't wrap my head around this:

(CNN)An estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades -- since 1976

United States stats April 21, 45,172 Total deaths

Soooo why did the guy on the news just now say "there have been an unprecedented amount of funerals this year"?
I looked at NY flu deaths for that flu season and its the same as the corona deaths this year. Just what in the hell is going on?!?! Did people just die without the drama of being on ventilators and thus were not "special cases?"
This isn't far right conspiracy theory stuff, this is statistics. Even if the lockdowns are keeping the deaths in check it's still the same amount of deaths and you never heard a peep about this two years ago. ANd as to the lockdown working that's questionable. I'm going to guess allot of my friends and colleagues were exposed to this already.

Something smells really bad,
Things to consider, US flu deaths typically range from 12,000 to 61,000 per year
per Johns Hopkins Medicine report, 4/22/2020 https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

The 45,000 Covid 19 deaths have happened in about a 6 week period (not over an entire year), most of it under social isolating conditions. If most of us were not isolating as we are, that number of Covid 19 deaths would be much higher. Also, so far the mortality rate has been shown to be much higher for Covid 19 than the average flu, and this Covid 19 virus appears to be easier to catch, and it appears to live longer on surfaces and in the air than the typical flu virus. And you can be infected for up to 14 days before any symptoms show, and all the while you would be infecting other people with the virus.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I disagree. They have been aggregating the death from the start of the flu season.

Also, we have no idea as to the mortality rate as pretty much all medical and scientific personnel estimate the actual cases to be much higher than known cases.

The data is insufficient at the point to conclude anything. The only thing concrete is that once a ventilator your chances are slim. And as to that subject, I have a coworker in Milan that has money. He was taken off a ventilator and put on an external oxygen source and he's home now. If he did not have quality private care he may have not made it.

We can all spout the same information we're hearing on the news. I for one try to think for myself without a bias. Analyzing data, treands and patterns is much of what I do for a living. I'm fairly comfortable the truth is not only being shared but that there aren't many things nailed down right now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The C-19 death rate can range from 3% to 0.5% depending on conditions on the ground.

For example, an area that is well prepared to treat patients infected with C-19, have a low death rate. Areas unprepared for it and have no resources in their healthcare providers, death rates can be as high as 5% of the infected. For example, some parts of China had under 1% death rate. Other parts had 5% death rate. I don't know what they are here in the US.

It does spread much quicker because the Virus lingers on surfaces longer, and can be spread by talking (not just sneezing/coughing). This is why the CDC says to wear masks when in public. We will be wearing masks for quite some time this year.

Compared to the Flu, C19 has it's differences. But the BIGGEST difference it has is it's new! The flu has been around forever. We get vaccinated for it. We've had decades of building some anti-bodies against it. Yet people still die of flu complications, at a higher number than C19! We just learned how to combat the damn thing in 2 months? We didn't even know how to diagnose C19 properly back in January. By this time next year, we would have had some form of Herd Immunity, plus a vaccine, plus the known/proven treatments to minimize it's worst effects, and C19 will be rendered under control just like SARS, H1n1, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc. Hopefully, the next go around of the next pandemic, we would have learned valuable lessons and how to deal with it without destroying the World Economy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
And... since there are only a limited number of medical people, hospital beds, clinics, etc. that were already operating near capacity on a normal day (before Covid 19), any large influx of seriously ill patients will overload the systmem very quickly. Then decisions will need to be quickly made as to who will be given treatment and who will be turned away, or even have care removed from them in order to provide care for higher priority patients (such as medical personel, first responders, etc.). So it's not the total number of ill people as much as it's the rate of ill people entering the medical system needing serious care.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I disagree. They have been aggregating the death from the start of the flu season. ... We can all spout the same information we're hearing on the news. I for one try to think for myself without a bias. Analyzing data, treands and patterns is much of what I do for a living. I'm fairly comfortable the truth is not only being shared but that there aren't many things nailed down right now.
Yes, these are strange times that we are in.

Which brings to mind what a friend told me when we were puzzling over strange goings on at work, a while back...

"Ya know, just because you are paranoid, that doesn't meant that they are not out to get you." ;o)

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
News from "Down Under".

I know that it is still early days, but our progress has been very positive so far. To quote a New York Times article, published on 24 April . . . .

The results are undeniable: Australia and New Zealand have squashed the curve. Australia, a nation of 25 million people which had been on track for 153,000 cases by Easter, has only recorded a total of 6,670 infections and 78 deaths. It has a daily growth rate of less than 1 percent, with per capita testing among the highest in the world.

New Zealand’s own daily growth rate, after soaring in March, is also below 1 percent, with 1,456 confirmed cases and 17 deaths. It has just 361 active cases in a country of five million.

Here is the link to the New York Times article, complete with some photos of sunny Sydney.

Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It was a joke. which I'm sure was fairly obvious to all not under, but thanks for the lesson. Thanks to your genius I can tell time correctly now.
and frankly it's more of a myth than fact. The Coriolis effect relates more to hurricanes and larger vortexes. Myth and fact (there's a difference).

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that it was a joke. Having worked for a large US company for many years, I must have heard it mentioned a thousand time over the years. I could never work out why Americans were fascinated by Aussie toilets ?

Anyway, as I used to explain to my co-workers, a toilet that worked backwards would have the water coming up out of the bowl, not down from the cistern.

I am very glad to hear that you can now read the time correctly, although that skill may be irrelavant in the digital age.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Are you messing with me or did you really not know it's sort of a standing joke we have when it comes to south of the equator?
The reality is a toilet's not a passive device subject solely to the whims of nature but rather exerts a force based on the direction of the jets and drainage. Winds however are effected by this force. Somewhere along the way the flushing thing grew into a myth, then became a overused joke.
My watches are still analogue. I'll get a sex change before I wear a google or Apple watch.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
Are you messing with me or did you really not know it's sort of a standing joke we have when it comes to south of the equator? << snip >> Somewhere along the way the flushing thing grew into a myth, then became a overused joke. << snip >>
Trust me when I say that there is no way I'd mess with you, even if I had rubber gloves on . :eek:

As for it being a "standing joke", I get it but trust me again when I say that after the first 20 or so times being told by some Yank about the "backward toilets", the funny side of the "joke" kind of wears off.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Joking aside, hats off to you Aussies and New Zealanders. You seem to have nipped C-19 in the bud. Here (USA) we still have folks who are protesting that it's "just" the flu, believe it comes from Corona beer, think chloroquine is a cure, think everyone killed by C19 would have died anyway (well, that's true, eventually) and won't be happy until we're #1! Wait, we are #1! Confirmed cases and deaths. o_O
Now back to my favorite disease, N1k-18. Hope to ride soon...

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Has anybody on this sight been Affected economically, like put out of work with no paycheck coming in. I can see where these people are getting anxious about getting the economy rolling again and I don’t blame them, I think I would want to get the money rolling in again also. Sad part is some of the buisnesses that got the stimulus money is probably putting it in there pockets insteads of helping employes.

101 - 120 of 185 Posts