Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
No RC, Bikram is from up north, he is part of the Kawasaki Ninja Owners Group, KNOGs here in India. Haven't met him as I missed the annual ride but I haven't heard from him in some time too.

@Bikram

So, hes a thousand miles, or so, north? I remember seeing his pictures and being surprised . It reminded me of being in downtown salt lake...well, before the riot.

I would love to make the trip and ride with you guys.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Yeah, something like that, probably around the 1000 kms mark.
Yeah, India is a nice place to ride, lots of varying landscapes and some beautiful scenery, the roads are getting better too. Best to have someone local to help you along the route, happy to ride with anyone coming here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Reactions: Rock

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
June 8 Update

The USA seems to have plateaued, Canada is still in a steady decline, India is unfortunately still "going vertical" and Australia has "flattened the curve".

There is real concern for the potential for a "second wave" following the re-opening of many businesses & the BLM rallies in the USA, Europe & Oz. We'll know more in 2 weeks time.

Percentage of Population Tested
May 12, USA = 2.9%, Canada = 3.0%, Australia = 3.5%, India = 0.1%.
May 20, USA = 4.3%, Canada = 3.6%, Australia = 4.0%, India = 0.2%
Jun 08, USA = 6.7%, Canada = 5.1%, Australia = 6.5%, India = 0.4%

Deaths per Million of Population
May 10, USA = 244, Canada = 137, Australia = 4, India = *
May 20, USA = 283, Canada = 164, Australia = 4, India = *
Jun 08, USA = 345, Canada = 209, Australia = 4, India = *

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Dam don’t show Rocky pictures like that, he has been locked up to long all ready over this virus.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There is real concern for the potential for a "second wave" following the re-opening of many businesses & the BLM rallies in the USA, Europe & Oz. We'll know more in 2 weeks time.
You can get an example in states that have reopened a few weeks ago. In this image, one of these states reopened on May 15, guess which one.

This is from the Financial Times website. Lots of settings to look at. You can set it to deaths or cases per million and see that the US is far from the worst hit county. Brazil is really on the way up right now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Yeah, we have also opened up all things from 8th June, waiting to see the numbers at the end of this week. Plus onset of monsoon and change in weather too at the same time, this is going to be bad....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Wisconsin sort of opened up... then it didn't. The state supreme court struck down stay at home order. But then orders became local and county and most stuff stayed closed anyway.

In what was a hilarious bar party, there was one day between state orders and local/county orders. Every single bar in Wisconsin was open for one day before they were shut down again - and they were crowded.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I find this interesting:

"Rather than calling for the total lockdown of healthy and low-risk populations, why did health and government officials not simply call for the protection and isolation of the elderly?
Nursing home residents and workers account for about one-third of all COVID-19 deaths in the U.S., and up to 20% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients actually caught it in the hospital while being treated for another ailment."

Sounds to me we could have kept the death toll down while not having to lock-down. If this is accurate data this is a travesty.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
<< snip >>
"Rather than calling for the total lock-down of healthy and low-risk populations, why did health and government officials not simply call for the protection and isolation of the elderly?
<< snip >>
I think they tried something similar to this approach initially in the UK, but the hospital system still was overwhelmed. So they then went to a total lock-down but by then it was too late as the virus was wide spread throughout the general population.

My understanding of the reasons for the lock-downs were to slow the spread of the disease so that the hospital system can cope. ie.. I have 10 ventilators & 11 patients . . . so who gets to die ??

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
There's more to it here in NY Murph. Our beloved governor sent a slew of elderly from the hospital back to the nursing homes and they infected thousands that eventually died. All to free up beds I suppose. It also came to light that more people died from ventilators then were saved. They eventually started laying people on their stomachs instead of ventilating them and more survived as a result. The whole ventilator things was a mistake, but according to my doctor that was their standard protocol when oxygen levels dropped. Turns out when take off ventilators they did not die of hypoxia.
This whole thing was astronomically mishandled.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
<< snip >>
This whole thing was astronomically mishandled.
I will agree with you there. The situation in the USA & Europe has been an absolute disaster.

Unfortunately, we are now where near the end of this pandemic, so more pain and suffering (physical & economical) to come.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I"m moving to N-Zed. The PM's cute, covids under control, and they have great motorcycle roads.I am, however, not so sure about their beer

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
I"m moving to N-Zed. The PM's cute, covids under control, and they have great motorcycle roads.I am, however, not so sure about their beer
Covid has been eliminated in NZ, and their PM is cute and (more importantly) intelligent and they do have some great motorcycle roads. In addition, they drive/ride on the correct (LH side) of the road.

I'm not that keen about their beer or some of their red wines, but their white wines are very good.

Only problem is that their border is closed and they won't let you in. Fortunately for me, there is talk of establishing an air corridor "bubble" between N-Zed & Oz soon.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
air corridor bubble? Sounds like a worm hole.
being able to close your borders is huge in a pandemic. Something that's a bit more difficult to do here.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
I know that Rock "enjoys" numbers almost as much as I do, but they can be scary.

To date, the USA has "officially" seen 2,023,000 confirmed cases of covid-19. We know that these numbers are understated, so lets assume for a minute, that in reality there were 5 times as many cases of covid-19, say 10,000,000.

That means that only 3% of the US population has been infected, but in order to achieve "herd" immunity, you need at least 75% and more likely 85%++. So no "silver bullet" here.

The current situation in the USA is that the infection rate seems to have plateaued, while some will argue that it is ramping up since the relation of lock-downs. So in the absence of a vacinne, this virus will continue to spread out through the population for some time to come.

So far, since 1 March (15 weeks), there have been 113,820 official covid-19 deaths in the USA. It is reasonable to assume in the absence of a vaccine, that by 26 Sept (15 weeks into the future), that the death count may be in excess of 200,000 US citizens.

I hope I am wrong, but those numbers are scary.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
202 Posts
<< snip >>
Being able to close your borders is huge in a pandemic. Something that's a bit more difficult to do here.
Not really.

NZ & Australia are both island nations, so we each have only 1 border, but if you think about it Canada only has 1 border and the USA has only 2 borders (excluding Hawaii).

All it needs are the "balls" to say . . . shut the gate, NOW.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts