Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

Should be scared or over hyped?

How is it affecting you personally and work wise?

Here in India, fingers crossed, things are not so bad. But the agencies have been pro actively in asking people to WFH, maintain distance, etc!! Not like any of these will work here in India.

We went out to the market to get some supplies, though it was a lot less crowded than usual, the crowds were still double or more of what we would find in a normal day in the Western world.

We are starting to see the effect on business' with most people I am talking to already thinking about cash flow, payments, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That Twitter feed is full of poison politics, especially with OC weighing in. If it were up to her she'd bankrupt the whole USA. She has no knowledge of how economics work. Zero. Nothing. If she did, she would not have blocked Amazon opening up headquarters in New York!

What the US is trying to do is control the spread of the virus by slowing it down over a period of time that meets the capacity of our Medical Industry. What the US doesn't want is something that happened to China, Korea, and Italy, where there was a huge spike in cases, which overwhelmed the system's capacity to take care of the ill, in addition to take care of all the other illnesses and other cases not related to C-19.

China, Korea, and parts of Italy, have reported success in halting the spread is some areas that had a total lockdown. But a total lockdown means some business will fail, which means people being out of a job or income. So one has to choose: allow C-19 cases to spread to a controllable degree, let the system absorb the load, and save many parts of the economy and therefore people's livelihoods. Or, completely stop the spread, while ruining the economy.

Pick your poison.

I've been listening on the daily briefings by the US government C-19 Containment Team. They sound confident, they appear honest, they seem to be on top of things. I've also listened to what the US Congress has been saying as well as Trump's economic team. They fully understand the economic effects of this containment strategy and they are working hard to minimize the damage. So they have a two pronged approach: Contain the Virus, defeat the Virus, while the other team tries to contain the economic damage, help SOME of the neediest Americans cope with the inevitable loss in wages.

In my humble opinion, this is the best we can do. All of these naysayers in Twitter making this into a political hit, are not offering any viable solutions. If they want to blame someone, blame the Chinese government for their piss-poor handling of C-19 when they hid the disease for two months. Two months the world could have used to lock out China. Instead, China decided to share the virus and help cripple the world's economy, as well as kill people around the world so they can save face. I don't blame the Chinese people. I blame the Chinese government.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I concur with pretty much everything you said OCL. Except I disagree on AOCs grasp of the economy. She's obviously Noble Laureate level :grin: I hope she shut's up at some point.

I hope when all this is over its sends China back into isolationism. Albeit not of their own volition. They need to pay for this and also be kept from doing more harm. Every death from ths and SARS is on thier head. But that's not the worst part. ALl these businesses around here are being forced to close and it's going to destroy people far worse then the virus.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That AOC is a piece of work. She is tenacious but dumb and thinks she knows everything and is blinded by her own self-righteous beliefs in how things should work.

Yup, agree with you. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, all of them originated from China due to insanitary slaughter, transport, handling, and selling of wildlife. You'd think they've learned something by now.

I feel REALLY bad for people who will/have lost their livelihood. $1k or $2k to every working American is just a stop gap. They need jobs to sustain themselves. Amazon has committed to hiring more people part time and full time, and calling out to those who recently lost their jobs due to this Pandemic. I'm not an Amazon lover (or hater) but kudos to them for coming up with this plan. Perhaps the grocery store chains, or others like Target or Walmart can do the same because I'm sure they need the extra help right now.

My company may end up laying off a few temporary employees. A few of my co-workers have also expressed concerns for their jobs. Me too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
That AOC is a piece of work. She is tenacious but dumb and thinks she knows everything and is blinded by her own self-righteous beliefs in how things should work.

Yup, agree with you. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, all of them originated from China due to insanitary slaughter, transport, handling, and selling of wildlife. You'd think they've learned something by now.

I feel REALLY bad for people who will/have lost their livelihood. $1k or $2k to every working American is just a stop gap. They need jobs to sustain themselves. Amazon has committed to hiring more people part time and full time, and calling out to those who recently lost their jobs due to this Pandemic. I'm not an Amazon lover (or hater) but kudos to them for coming up with this plan. Perhaps the grocery store chains, or others like Target or Walmart can do the same because I'm sure they need the extra help right now.

My company may end up laying off a few temporary employees. A few of my co-workers have also expressed concerns for their jobs. Me too.
Amazon is hiring cause they can't keep up with the demand. They issued a statement saying they are so busy that they may not be able to deliver in two days. They also said they need to hire 100k people ASAP. The question is when this pandemic passes will people go back to brick and mortar or will it just be Amazon.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Allot of jobs are on the bubble right now. I have freinds in car and bike dealerships that have to close indefinitley on friday. But even those of us in corporate america who are working from home are not safe. It will just tkae longer for our companies' cash flow to take a hit.
The folks in the local shops that I frequent are all freaking out.

Thanks China. I hope everyhone pulls out and manufactures elswhere. And before anyone thinks we 100% dependant on them we are not. The Companies I"ve been with recently have all been moving manufacturing to Vietnam, Taiwan, Thialand and even south of the border. They can be replaced.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I sure you know I was just kidding.:devil:
I just picked up my parents at the airport 3 hrs ago and I am worried silly. My dad will be 91 in May and my mom is 88.
Admit it, you thought it meant VD from a 19 year old coworker.

I hope you folks, and all our folks, stay safe. Just keep them indoors. .

·
Registered
891 Posts
Admit it, you thought it meant VD from a 19 year old coworker.

I hope you folks, and all our folks, stay safe. Just keep them indoors. .
I am more worried about what happened in airport. They said Fort Myers airport was packed. Also their plane had 143 seats with only 3 empty.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
yeah, that's a large concentration of people. The good news is florida isn't as bad as up here.
Would it not have been safer form them to stay in the warmer climate?

·
Registered
891 Posts
yeah, that's a large concentration of people. The good news is florida isn't as bad as up here.
Would it not have been safer form them to stay in the warmer climate?
Yes we wanted them to stay. But they said if they get sick they want to be near family.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
What do you guys think?

Should be scared or over hyped? How is it affecting you personally and work wise?

Here in India, fingers crossed, things are not so bad.
I do not wish to appear insensitive, or over alarmist, but Should you be scared ?? . . . Yes and Is it being over-hyped . . . No

While India may not have yet seen the escalation/spread of the disease compared to Europe, it will happen as no human has any immunity to this new disease.

Large population cities, as evident in Europe see the rapid spread of the disease first, while the spread is slower in rural/less populated areas. This is not unexpected as the disease is spread from person to person. More people in a small area = quicker spread.

Most people will experience a mild reaction to this disease, similar to a bad case of the 'flu. Others will experience a fatal reaction.

Unfortunately, a new vaccine is 12~18 months away but there are some promising developments in drug treatments for those already with the disease which may decrease the death rate.

The death rate seems to be age related. For people under 50 yrs old, they might see 1%, while people over 70 yrs will see 4% or more deaths from this disease alone.

To put that into perspective, the population of the USA is 330,000,000 people. A 1% death rate means 3,300,000 people will die. A 2% death rate pushes it closer to 7,000,000 people, and if China is a guide, this is all going to play out over the next 6 months.

India has a population of 1,350,000,000 and probably has a less robust health system compared to most Western countries. Assuming a 2% death rate, there may be 27,000,000 or more deaths from this disease alone.

Here in Australia, our government has been trying to "flatten the curve" so that the health system (read hospitals) can cope with the influx of new covid-19 patients on top of the normal volume of other diseases.

Plans are now being implemented for parts of our armed services (Medical Corps) have been mobilized to assist the hospitals.

Our borders are now closed, outdoor crowds of more than 500 people are banned, indoor crowds of 100 are banned and I expect these limits will be further tighten over coming weeks. Most sporting events have been cancelled.

I live in Sydney, a large modern city. Restaurants & cafes are now suspending in-house dining, and switching to take away / cook at home services.

Small to medium business are putting employees on paid / unpaid vacation, or just shutting down completely. One of our major airlines has suspended all overseas flights, while domestic flights have been scaled back by 50%. Accommodation bookings at hotels & motels have dropped by over 50%.

An increasing number of shops are declining cash payments (as the bank notes may be infected) and only accepting credit card payments.

Our supermarkets have restricted the quantity of items that you can buy after there was a panic surge on toilet paper. Want to buy 6 cans of tinned tomatoes ?? No can do, as there is a 2 can maximum limit which is the same for most food items (rice, pasta, flour, sugar, etc)

Anyone returning from overseas must self-quarantine at home for 14 days. Anyone testing positive to the disease is admitted to hospital initially, then if the symptoms are mild, sent home for self quarantine for 14 days. Self quarantine means you stay in your home, in your own room and preferably with your own bathroom. No interaction with family or friends, if at all possible.

Like it or not (not !!), most countries, as well as the world economy, is headed for a severe recession. Time will tell if this will be a short sharp V shaped recession or a prolonged U shaped recession.

Now is a time to stay at home, wash your hands with soap and water often, and watch some DVDs.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Our society doesnt value education enough to prepare for something like this. I'm not saying I'm the educated one who knows best. It's the opposite. I remember being in science class and I did not like it. I had a hard time becoming interested. But, I stuck around long enough to realize when the topic turned to medical or science topics, I needed to defer to the experts and let them do the thinking. For the most part, the scientists and doctors looked to me to fix their motorcycles.

Just after the earthquake, I heard a gas station attendant advice several people that, "The refineries had shut down. .....A major earthquake is following this one and WILL hit within two hours. " I knew enough to know that was bullshit. I corrected her and told her the three refineries I stopped in were at full production, and theres no person on earth who can predict earthquakes...especially giving out specific times.

Meanwhile, people are gathering around the propane cans, and they are gathering around the gas pumps. Just what we are not supposed to do, but ....fear rules, facebook gives accurate info, and if you are hoping human behavior will stop this , or control this Virus, we are fucked.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
This is definately a problem everbody ought to be real concerned with and do every thing humanly possible to keep from catching it. This virus destroying countries definately wasn’t on my bucket list of things I want to see. I think some of the hospitals in NY are already at capacity and not enough ventilators on hand, we could wind up like Italy and if your old and catch it your not going to get a ventilator your going to die.

·
Registered
A Black 2019 N1k
124 Posts
I just saw this on the Iron Butt Association's Facebook page. Something to consider . . .

David Channin As a physician, motorcyclist and IBAer, I would urge the community NOT to ride long distance. While the risk to an individual rider is probably low, you do have some risk of being a vector for others despite few human interactions. There is also the argument that you are, in a time of national emergency, using resources for what is, after all, a recreational activity. You may also be flaunting local emergency regulations that themselves may be changing rapidly.

Look, we're motorcyclists, inherently an independent breed and as IBAers we're even more so. But this is a time to hunker down, stay put, and yes, follow instructions.

James Massey David Channin, as a Nurse Practitioner, I agree totally. Besides, most of us are middle aged or older. I would not want to be admitted into a hospital right now.

Besides the added risk of COVID 19, the healthcare system is rapidly loading up. In some places overloaded, I’m sure. I’ll put it this way, the care you receive will probably not be as good as you are accustomed to.

ICUs could become overwhelmed in many places within the next week or so.

Also, What happens if you have a get off (crash) that requires prolonged hospitalization? You could be stuck in the hospital when COVID smashes into the area.

500-1000 miles away from home. You’ve just been extubated after being on a ventalator for 7 days, meanwhile people in the other ICU rooms are on ventalators with COVID 19 pneumonia? That’s a far more deadly situation than a Bun Burner Gold 1500, and you will have no control over the situation.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I thought COVID-19 was a new tacticool sight for my AR-10. Combat Optical Visual Imaging Device. They even say it's novel. Must be good if it took them 19 iterations.

J/K

IMO, it's like drivers in a snow storm - or in the case of Houston, in just about any amount of rain - people tend to respond in the extreme. Some slow down to a crawl, in any lane they happen to be in. Then the crazies speed up and weaves between the panicking slow pokes, scaring the panicking slow pokes to slow down some more.

Yes, it's serious. Yes, you should absolutely heed the warnings given by your national and local authorities. Okay, that last bit depends on whether said authorities are responding properly and not have their heads stuck up their asses. But you get the point. However, don't get with the panic hording. Shelter at home if appropriate, but don't get cabin fever and go on facebook berating everybody else who are still out and about. Some of us still have jobs to go to and tasks to tend to.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts