Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
This past winter I loaded up a winter trailer project's wheels with Counteract beads. The closed border keeps me from giving it a real test.

From my investigation, the beads can't do much much for lateral imbalances. This trailer's rims/tires have both a fair amount of radial and lateral run out so I'm not sure where I'm going to end up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I may purchase the balancer - I checked that out as well. Plus weights of course. That would help in the analysis. I have to "think" the two different folks that looked at the weighting knew what they were doing, but honestly; it could have been their first day or just incompetent techs - you never know. I was trying not to go out of pocket on the trial but you do make a lot of sense.
There are better balancer out there, but for $30-32, the HF unit is hard to beat. It isn't that difficult to use either. Lots of video on YT to guide you. Nomar has a good video too. I have their balancer now, mostly so I can use their large cones for balancing SSSA. It supposedly can detect down to 1/16 Oz, but I rarely bother to get that precise. I still have the HF balancer, and it could easily do 1/4 Oz., which IMO is plenty good enough for most riders.

Personally, I just don't see the point with the dynabeads with motorcycle wheel/tire. I can understand with huge @$$ tires like dune buggies, swamp paddles and such, where you'd have trouble finding somebody to balance them for you. Plus chunks fly off and they wear unevenly, so might be hard to keep them balanced.

With the dyna beads, even if they work, they require the wheel/tires to go through a violent shaking before they possibly could have a chance to work. Again, it is very similar to shale shakers. If you ever watch a shale shaker come alive, that initial shake down before the the eccentric weights synch up, is very very violent. And it goes through that transition every time it start up and every time it shuts down. Do you really want your motorcycle wheel/tires to do that from stop light to stop light?

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
I dont think my balancer is any better than the HF balancer and it's easy to detect something that out of balance by 5 grams.

Volfy says his weights move all around. I'm not sure that's been my experience. My rims are out way more than any tire I've ever purchased, so I leave the rim balance weights in place. From there, I might use 1 or 2 5 gram weights to take care of the tire. Right bow my rear has 20 grams and that for the rim. The 5gram weight is for the tire, a dunlop q3+

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
To follow up on some additional requests - I removed the various 3oz of weights (thats right - 3oz were on there). I then went for a brief ride. The wabble was gone but a pretty noticable vibration was there at high speeds. Not something I would leave without doing something different. Now - when the beads come in I will provide the feedback on the vibrations to see if it goes away or gets better.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
3oz ...that's a lot. That will be a good test for the beads. I suppose you need to add 3oz worth of beads?

Is this the original tires that had 3oz of weight? I dont recall what my original tires had, but it was way more than I ever needed with aftermarket replacement tires.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This tire is the AGT. The factory had terrible traction but had no issues with the front end. The original tire had the factory weight in the center of the rim vs. the stick-on weights I had on just now that I removed yesterday. These weights were stuck on both sides of the rim more towards the outside on both sides. There was also one 1/2 oz weight in a different spot than the others. Not sure if this means a terrible weighting job was performed or if this tire was showing that I had weight issues in more than one spot. The more I think about this the more I want a wheel balancing tool myelf. Not sure if I am up to changing a tire (I am worried about scoring the rim) but at least then I can perfect the proper placement of the weights in the future. In any case, I still intend to proceed with this test to know for myself (and our forum members) on whether or not the beads make any difference at all.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
That amount of weight was a surprise. On both if my bikes, all four wheels, I dont have 3 oz total weight, combined. I'm sure it's possible, but it doesnt sound quite right.

For me, The two different spots sounds reasonable, just not the total amount

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well what-do-you know. The damn stuff worked (mostly). It is not 100% better but a solid 90%. Since I had the tire installed it never ran this smooth. One thing I noticed and did not expect. The vibrations through the front tire at reasonable speeds feel much better. At triple digits I can feel the vibrations again but MUCH better than it was without any of the weights on during my previous trial. All experiments were better than with the weights on.

In conclusion:
- With the weights on I had a noticeable wobble - I would venture to say unsafe
  • With no weights - no wabble but a LOT of vibrations through the bars, especially at high speeds
  • With the beads - little to no vibration at double digit speeds, in the triple digits I can feel a light to medium buzz but not annoying at all
I am curious if I added a tad more weight with the beads if I could get it to completely go away. A little reserved in that because if I put too many in I have to pay to remove and remount the tire.

Honestly I would have not believed this and even told the Mrs I was pretty sure it would be a bust. In the end, it has made a very big difference. A little hard for me to believe but it really has improved considerably. I still think it may be masking a crap tire, but it allowed me to make the decision to keep it on until it is worn.

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
You know, you have to add the extra....lol

If the wheel really needed 3 oz, you really would need that to be balanced again. Plus, I think you'll drive yourself crazy not knowing.

Did your beads seat properly? I ask only because my agt was one of the most difficult tires I ever dealt with. It took several tries before the tire gave that horrible "pop"....two pops, actually, but it was difficult to get there, and about 60 psi.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
RC - Damn you. How did you know I will keep going until I get it as close to perfect as possible...

·
Registered
10,540 Posts
You cared about it in the first place....? People like that wont stop short of perfection. Even if they go to far.

That 3oz number sounds suspect, doesnt it? I cant imagine our rims would be THAT much different? No idea what the production tolerance is on motorcycle rims.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts