Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I notice my bikes Temperature will drop below 150 on the freeway I don’t remember it being like that is my thermostat stuck open 2015 ninja 1000

·
Registered
517 Posts
Couple days ago I was on my 2015 on the interstate doing 70-80mph for a 35 mile stretch and my temps were in the 160s.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Sometimes I notice my bikes Temperature will drop below 150 on the freeway I don’t remember it being like that is my thermostat stuck open 2015 ninja 1000
I had the same thoughts on mine during winter rides. Turns out the Kawi spec for the thermostat opening is 140 degrees F. I've never had another engine that ran that cool but that's what Kawi uses in this Ninja. At freeway speeds my Ninja runs 90-100 degrees F above ambient. That is: If the air temperature is 60 degrees, the engine temp is 150-160 degrees. And yes, when I've ridden in the high 30's I've seen the engine temp bounce around from 139-142 degrees.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't remember seeing engine temperature on my screen, just the digital bar gauge. Am I becoming blind now too ?:ROFLMAO: Getting old isn't as fun as i had hoped.... I'll have to go look at my screen a little better.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I first started riding the N1k. Then I looked up where the coolant temp sensor location is. Found out it is right where the coolant enters the engine block, right after coming out if the radiator, through the water pump. Make sense now.

Reactions: FlightRite88

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering about this today as well. The ride into work was 30F, and I noticed the coolant temp would go as low as 131F while going on a steady 40mph stretch. This is lower than I have seen on any other bike during cold temps.

At a stoplights before and after the temp would be in the 140-160 range.

·
Registered
734 Posts
FWIW, I don't much trust Kawi's temp display calibration to be spot on. The ambient temp display is usually some 8-10F lower than actual.

Reactions: kenors

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I guess I
FWIW, I don't much trust Kawi's temp display calibration to be spot on. The ambient temp display is usually some 8-10F lower than actual.
I guess I got a good one, my ambient temps read only 5-6 degrees too low on the '18.

Reactions: Volfy

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
119 Posts
I guess I

I guess I got a good one, my ambient temps read only 5-6 degrees too low on the '18.
I think they aren't very consistent. My '20 is very close to accurate, but my riding buddy's always shows lower than mine by a pretty good margin.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I checked again just now, and sure enough the dash is showing 64F when actual is about 70F, so mine is about the same 5-6F low as yours.

I kinda remember it being 8-10F low for some reason. :unsure: I could be wrong. I'll check again in the Summer and Winter months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same thoughts on mine during winter rides. Turns out the Kawi spec for the thermostat opening is 140 degrees F. I've never had another engine that ran that cool but that's what Kawi uses in this Ninja. At freeway speeds my Ninja runs 90-100 degrees F above ambient. That is: If the air temperature is 60 degrees, the engine temp is 150-160 degrees. And yes, when I've ridden in the high 30's I've seen the engine temp bounce around from 139-142 degrees.
Thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Flight, you made a really good point. When you hit a radiator with 30 degree air, it's going to get cold. Imagine how well your house air conditioner would work on a 30 degree day.

This has always been a problem with equipment that is air cooled. I know we have liquid cooling, but its dependent on air. It's extremely efficient when you dont need it to be, and not very good when it needs to be amazing.

Give it another few weeks and you'll see new people signing up here worried about their bikes running hot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Give it another few weeks and you'll see new people signing up here worried about their bikes running hot.
Are you psychic? Because here I am!

I was going to ask about the normal operating temps people are seeing. When I get home from a ride, I usually let the bike heat cycle once before turning it off, and see temps in the 215F range before it drops back down. This is on a 2021 model. I know Kawi probably has it running lean to pass emissions, so I'm sure it's probably nothing, but I want to check to be sure.

What temps are people seeing on the high end for their N1Ks?

·
Registered
734 Posts
All I know is that my N1k did just fine last Summer crawling in traffic along an elevated hwy that was cooking at probably 110-115F. Realistically, at times like that, I'm far more worried about me over-heating than the bike.

Reactions: Oramac

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Are you psychic? Because here I am!

I was going to ask about the normal operating temps people are seeing. When I get home from a ride, I usually let the bike heat cycle once before turning it off, and see temps in the 215F range before it drops back down. This is on a 2021 model. I know Kawi probably has it running lean to pass emissions, so I'm sure it's probably nothing, but I want to check to be sure.

What temps are people seeing on the high end for their N1Ks?

Welcome! The bike blows up, including rider, at 216f, so at least you are under that.

No, it's like you suspected. They need to run as hot as they possibly can to help with emissions. That's tough to do when its 30 degrees. Much easier as it gets warmer. No big deal. It's what the bike is supposed to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome! The bike blows up, including rider, at 216f, so at least you are under that.

No, it's like you suspected. They need to run as hot as they possibly can to help with emissions. That's tough to do when its 30 degrees. Much easier as it gets warmer. No big deal. It's what the bike is supposed to do.
Thanks! Glad I didn't blow myself up! Much appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts