Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
I'm used to cruising under the limit on my 919. When everyone is speaking of bar buzz on the freeway, what kind of speeds are we talking about here? If you were to stay under 65, would it be less noticeable? (That would be only 4200rpm with a 16t)
It's about 4200 with a 17T sprocket and, yes, the vibes will be less. My typical cruising speed is ~70mph (in a 60 zone) and ~80mph in the 70 zones we have in WA. I'm an ATGATT person and with leather gloves & boots the vibration is non-intrusive just cruising. There are a couple of spots when you're "twisting the wick" that are pretty noticeable but they're well above my cruising speeds and I'm usually too busy holding on and thinking about other things to notice much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have my eye on a 2018 model to replace my Honda 919 that I don't find particularity well suited for touring, even with a good size windscreen. it vibrates and seems like a lot of work to spend a week on. It's more of a city bike I think.

I had a stock ZX14R w/ Ivan's flash, but sold it most specifically because of the unbelievable heat it threw off not around town but at 70mph in 90-100F heat. It was even worse than my Blackbird. Yes you are sitting on an extremely powerful internal combustion engine and it's going to get hot but I personally believe heat production and heat management are two different things. The VFR1200 for example is excellent in this regard.

So I have two concerns, heat and handlebar vibes. Not at high rpm, just cruising at 70mph.

Any other reason these bikes don't tour well? I seem to recall a lot of Ninja 1000's, used completely set up for touring with very few miles, as if it just didn't work out for the owner as expected. Just something I noticed. The 2011 I rode a while back seemed awfully busy on the highway but I guess they've made some improvements? The Versys 1000 is supposed to be super smooth.

Thanks in advance, great forum you have hear.
I have a 2018 set up for touring and for sale. The problem for me was my knees. I had no problems riding all day but knees hurt for next couple of days. I couldn't do two consecutive days. Nothing else bothered me. The vibrations are minimal on the N1K, it probably depends on what you are used to. I owned a butter smooth gold wing at the same time and the N1K vibrations didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
2016 Ninja
219 Posts
I just finished kitting out my 2016 for a 1,600 mile trip I'll be taking the first full week of July. Its the best touring bike for a small person like me in my opinion. Fully loaded with road trip stuff and gassed up its still under 560lbs which is absurdly lightweight for a touring bike. After hours of riding that first foot-touch to the ground at a gas station can be a little dicey so its nice to not be on a 700+lb bagger or big touring bike. MPG is decent enough and the ergonomics are great for me.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
I have a 2018 set up for touring and for sale. The problem for me was my knees. I had no problems riding all day but knees hurt for next couple of days. I couldn't do two consecutive days. Nothing else bothered me. The vibrations are minimal on the N1K, it probably depends on what you are used to. I owned a butter smooth gold wing at the same time and the N1K vibrations didn't bother me at all.
Just curious, did you lower the pegs? Pretty cheap and easy to get an extra 1.25" of legroom and that made a lot of difference for my knees. As I age the darn joints, muscles, back, and everything else get more sensitive.

Reactions: Darthanubis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just curious, did you lower the pegs? Pretty cheap and easy to get an extra 1.25" of legroom and that made a lot of difference for my knees. As I age the darn joints, muscles, back, and everything else get more sensitive.
I did not.
I had a gold wing f6b and the ninja 1k. I was seeking something in between so I traded the f6b for a r1200rt. I've become content with the r1200rt so I've listed the ninja.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Having just done a long trip on my N1k, I do agree that after a long while of no movement my knees begin to complain. But it wasn't pain...just the need to stretch out and get the blood flowing. Everything else was just perfect. There were definitely many times we would ride 120-140 miles without stopping and I was never "tired", even at the end of a 400 mile day. I still wanted to keep riding.
Even when compared to my VFR, which put a lot more weight on my upper body, the N1k is more comfortable. Also, the ability to raise the windshield was a revelation for me on the highway. Especially on some sections of the highway where it was REALLY windy and stayed like that for a long time, having something that blocked most of that air from hitting my torso was luxurious for someone used to riding sport bikes and dual sports.

The vibrations were never an issue. I only felt it above 7k. We got on some roads that were completely devoid of anything around it, straight as an arrow for miles into the horizon, and we'd cruise at a ton+ and the N1k's engine sat at 7k RPM....didn't even notice it too much unless I focused on it. This bike doesn't let you forget it's a sport bike first, yet I feel like it never physically taxes my body for riding crotch rocket. I've ridden quite a few sport bikes on long trips. It is physically exhausting not only on muscles but joints as well.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
The pegs from a zx10, or Ebay copies will drop right on a ninja. They dont have the rubber cover. That lowers each peg about 3/8-1/2 inch. If you buy the copies, you'll have change left from 10 dollar bill.

No vibration increase to speak of. The entire rearset is rubber mounted, so the loss of the rubber strip is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Breaks are the key to long touring days. We pretty much stop every 60-90 minutes, even if it's only for a couple of minutes. A little bit of movement and the body is ready for another hour of sitting. Now that I think about it, when I had a desk job it was the same thing. I never sat for an hour or more without getting up and walking around. Makes long days easy. What works for me is to move *before* I get a sore spot. Once I'm sore it's hard work it out while riding. Stop enough and 500+ mile days are easy.

Reactions: Darthanubis

·
Registered
601 Posts
The pegs from a zx10, or Ebay copies will drop right on a ninja. They dont have the rubber cover. That lowers each peg about 3/8-1/2 inch. If you buy the copies, you'll have change left from 10 dollar bill.

No vibration increase to speak of. The entire rearset is rubber mounted, so the loss of the rubber strip is no big deal.
RC I like this. I'm not a big fan of the rubber footpegs. I will make this conversion.

Do you know if the passenger pegs from the ZX10R fit also? I would prefer F&R to match.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fantastic tourer. I got back from MotoGP in Austin this spring, and put over 800 miles on the last day. Only mod was Spencer from Florida redid the seat. And I'm 69. No heavy boats for me.
I can only confirm what Digger wrote.
I think that for my frame (170cm, 62 kg) it‘s a very capable tourer and I come from 36000 km on a 2020 R1250GS.
I’ve just completed an 11 day motorcycle trip from Belgium down to the French Alps, nearly all the way down to the Mediterranean and back (3800 km), the longest leg was the first one, 570 km (120 of which on motorways).
I never had back pain (I’m 60), no buffeting from the screen (you get a lot of insects on the helmet, though), the seat is comfy (I have the optional comfort seat) and the knees did alright, we stopped every hour for a little stop and always more than an hour for lunch. Once in the Alps I had a blast, such an engaging bike. If you want to travel on your motorcycle I think this bike is for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
'20 Kawasaki 1000SX, '18 KTM Super Duke R, '16 Yamaha FJR1300ES
176 Posts
RC I like this. I'm not a big fan of the rubber footpegs. I will make this conversion.

Do you know if the passenger pegs from the ZX10R fit also? I would prefer F&R to match.
Also look at the Knight Design lowering pegs--they don't have rubber either and are machined beautifully from aluminum. They give you almost another 1 1/2" of legroom. These pictures are from an H2 SX SE I had, but swapped them over to my 1000SX when I traded for it.

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also look at the Knight Design lowering pegs--they don't have rubber either and are machined beautifully from aluminum. They give you almost another 1 1/2" of legroom. These pictures are from an H2 SX SE I had, but swapped them over to my 1000SX when I traded for it.

View attachment 34385 View attachment 34386
I put the “Sport“ ones from Puig, you can adjust them in iclination and they are also lower. I haven‘t perceived any increase in vibrations although they have a thinner rubber padding

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
There are lots of ways to lower the pegs and I find my older knees appreciate it. Personally, I have a set of Motowerks Peg lowering blocks that I've moved from bike to bike and added a set of cheapo Chinese pegs from eBay. Amazing how the extra 1.5" of legroom makes so much difference at the end of a long day. I've never noticed any extra vibration in the pegs but I always wear hard soled boots while riding.

Reactions: Brian60 and jjscsix

·
Registered
2017 N1K , risers, v stream screen, Black Widow full exhaust,.. lowered pegs. Led turns,..tail tidy
80 Posts
So my 2 cents....I Love my N1K..of all the bikes I've owned its the best...
loved my C14, did 3000 miles in 6 days...too heavy, I'm 70 with a bad back.
Did not like my '06 FJR.
Liked my 1250 Bandit, but that was 10 yrs ago, hated the Suzuki chain adjust.
I'm 6'1" 200 LBs., 1800 mi. trip last month....
lowered foot pegs, motoworks...
Gel grips with HVMP heaviest bar ends...no Vibes...murphs risers.
changed to 39T rear sprocket: excellent for touring, at 90 its about 5900 rpms
Large V stream sheild with top deflector...great
Corbin seat works for me.
Love my headers: about 10hp more and 10lb. less weight.
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

concentric chain adjustment done on the side stand is the best in the industry....don't need a 14 lb centerstand....get paddock stands kept in the garage. great..... HATE suzukis chain adjust...sucks

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
641 Posts
Allow me to refer you to my little review I made last year of my '21 1000SX.

The 2 concerns you have:
  1. heat management: I rode my bike for the last 4,000+ miles to various places in my state, sometimes traveling for 10-12 hours per day in the summer and I did not notice any unbearable or in-my-face heat from the engine. If there is heat, it was something temporary and not very noticeable; nothing like my 2005 CBR1000RR, which I sold. So, rest assured that there is nothing big to report about heat management issues for this bike.
  2. vibrations: this concern is a little different. I cannot guarantee you that you will not feel vibrations on the pegs or seat across all RPMs. At certain RPMs you will feel vibrations. I did not feel any annoying vibrations when I was cruising at 55-60 MPH. I think for my bike if I spike it up to 75 MPH in a short time span, I will feel something along the way but it is a passing thing. I have not maintained a cruising of 90 MPH before; so, I cannot tell you if there is vibrations cruising at that higher speeds. But, I have overtaken large 18-wheelers on freeways and when I glanced at my speed, it was triple digit and I had no time to even think about vibrations. On a daily usage, I believe I did sense some vibrations at gear #1 to #2 when I apply a decent amount of throttle. After all, it is an inline-4 and this kind of engine does have vibrations unless you tame it all out with counter-balancers. It's not a V4 or boxer-4, so vibrations will occur.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
15,504 Posts
Arthur, great post.

Even though my Concours 14 is a far better touring bike, in every way, I would rather be riding my ninja. It's just more fun, even though it shouldn't be if we are comparing bikes.

The ninja is smaller and lighter. It feels more involved when I ride it. Some of these little faults we talk about... when you remove them..... something gets lost.

If we really wanted to tour, in comfort, it's hard to beat a compact car. Even a junk one has air conditioning and I promise it would use less fuel.

Reactions: Brian60 and arthury

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've heard this same comment from many riders who had larger tourers such as the Concours, FJR or wing and switched to an N1K or a Versys because it was so much lighter and easier to move around.

I've done four tours on a '21 N1K between 1000-2800 miles and have been very pleased with its capabilities. With panniers, top case and a duffel there is more than enough storage, the bike feels perfectly stable when fully loaded, and there is more than enough power if you need to bolt out quickly. If there is a heavy crosswind the bike does get pushed around a bit so I end up slowing down some. I added auxiliary lights to the front for extra visibility and to increase the profile width of the bike and am wiring LEDS to the top case for the same in the rear. Lowered the pegs and bar risers help
as I'm 6'1".

I've had no issues with vibrations at any speed. Heat on my legs is sometimes an issue but not too bad.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

21 - 39 of 39 Posts