Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has already been discussed on the forum please forgive me - I've looked and haven't seen anything on the subject, but I know that oil and filter threads drive some people crazy.

I bought a new '14 last weekend and broke it in by riding it from Newport Beach to the Bay Area the same day. I'm getting ready to start using it as my commuter and want to get new oil and a new filter in it. I've got filters that I've been using for years and was wondering if any of them might be fit compatible before I pull the original and find out I'm stranded until I can get to a shop.

From one of the other N1K forums I saw someone using a Wix 51358. From another website I found a Puralator and Fram filter that were compatible with the Wix. I happen to have a shelf full of Purulator PureOne 14612 filters which seem pretty standard. Have a M20x1.5 thread, gasket OD of 2.491" and just under 3" long. This one fit pretty much every Yamaha made since 2006 and also fits my '06 ZX6R. I also have a couple Champion CL7317 filters that fit on my FJR1300. They're the same thread as the PureOne 14612 but longer.

From oilfilterdata.com, it looks like the Wix and Purolator ML16817 have the same thread as the 14612 that I have and similar diameter though not exactly the same, so I'm guessing its gonna work, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone has firm findings that these will work.

So here's the direct question: has anyone successfully fit any of these 3 filters to a '14 or '15 N1K? (P/N on the bike now is Kawi 16097-0008)

Purolator PureOne 14612
Champion CL7317
Kawasaki 16097-0004 (ZX6R OEM)

One more note - just looked up the fiche on Bike Bandit for both the '06 ZX6R and the '14 Ninja 1000 and they both show the same BB p/n for the oil filter (3233406) even though the Kawi part numbers are different.

Thanks to anyone who replies back with either confirmation or rejection - I'm going to give it a shot tonight and will update this post later.

thanks

Reactions: maniak

·
Registered
82 Posts
Everything I found when I was looking for a filter for my 2k12 N1k is that the 16097-0008 replaced the 16097-0004 (my Local Kawi dealer only uses the 0008s now too).

Also, I just changed my oil last weekend and my 2k12 still had a 16097-0004... It's now sporting an Amsoil filter...

To make a long story short, I posted this on another forum so here is the current list of filters I have by doing cross referencing between books and double checking them with Amsoils/Wix's application guide and then even triple checking it against OilFilterData...

Amsoil EA15k-13 (replaced the old Ea0-13)
Honda 15400-PLM-A02
Prime Guard POF4610
Wix 51356 8-11 psi
Purolator L14610 14-18 psi
Purolator Synthetic PSL14610 14-18 psi
Purolator PureOne PL14610 14-18 psi

And According to Amsoil/Wix the factory Kawasaki filter crosses to a filter with an 8 psi bypass valve (in case you care, personally, I don't).

~Mark

·
Registered
229 Posts
Will these filters for work for my 13 N1K as well ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Will these filters for work for my 13 N1K as well ?
I just checked what Kawasaki says to use on the 2k13 n1k and it states the following on the part diagram..

FILTER-ASSY-OIL
16097-0004 16097-0008

With the 16097-004 striked(sp) through which means it's no longer available... and was replaced by the 16097-0008...

So, the short answer would be Yes, these filters will work on the 2k13 n1k too.. The question becomes, which filter do you want to use and do you care if the bypass psi is higher (like on the purolator filters).

~Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i did end up putting on the Purolator PureOne PL14612 and everything appears to be fit and function compatible. Another interesting site I've stumbled on is here:

Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference

In their table, they list several common fitments, and the ZX6R, my Yamahas, and many others fall into what they call Category 5. If you then reference the table you'll see many that they list as "recommended" while the entire list of those listed by manufacturers for use on motorcycles are described as "not recommended" - the PL14612 is on their "recommended" list. DISCLAIMER - I don't work for CalSci or have any idea if they know what they're talking about, so take all their recommended talk as just that.

Since the ZX6R and N1K share the same filter on the spare parts identifier (I found out that the -0004 and -0008 on the Kawi OEM part refer to country of origin - -0004 are made in Japan, the -0008 in China) it would suggest that all of the filters shown in their category 5 list would fit and work on any bike (including at least the '14 or newer N1K) that uses the same OEM Kawi filter.

thanks to the other guys who have responded.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I only use the K&N KN-303. I have used K&N oil filters on all of my Kawasaki's with no issues. I like the K&N filter because it can be tightened with a 17mm socket.

Reactions: jTorge

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
Ok so I decided to knock the dust off this bad boy and post a reply to the forum of a question asked by a member as to my choice in oil filters. He noticed in another thread were I'm trying to find a link or cause between filters we use and having to burp our bikes that I used a Fram XG7317 in my last oil change and unless something changes will probably continue to use them and I have to give him credit though as he didn't try to roast, but just asked "why" which I can respect.

Lets start with- I like a lot of you have used MANY filter brands and levels over the years and normally when in doubt fall back on OEM till I can form a opinion on a specific one. Yes there are cheap filters on the market which I tend to stay away from if I can, but have in the past, would again if I had to, and rather a person change their oil and filter with inexpensive goods than not change it at all or extend it out to far to many times and regret it latter.

My choice The XG7317 is Fram's top of the line filter and is really intended for vehicles ranging from the 1.5 L I4 Dodge Colts to the 2017 Infinity Q70 5.6 L V8- with 17 manufacturers on 50 plus models of cars, SUVs and small trucks accounted for with one thing in common. That being they were made on planet earth and they are all internal combustion engines. JJ Actually what they have in common are these requirements.

Anti-Drain back Valve YES
Base Gasket I.D.
Base Gasket O.D.
Base Gasket Thickness
By-Pass Valve Setting
Height
Inside Diameter
20mmx1.5mmat Thread
Outside Diameter
Style
Turning Specification
3/4-1

My reason for using it is- it meets and exceeds all Kawasaki oil filter specs for our bikes that I know of, has more filter surface area at this filtration level as its about an inch longer than called for, appears to be of good quality, looks good after being used, is available almost anywhere here in Texas and is constantly being compared to the top of the line filters on the market and one of those its compared to makes aircraft filters. Don't get me wrong I know about hump teen other filters that do the same thing and are of good quality also. It just really boils down to I like as much filtration as I can get and feel I'm getting my moneys worth along with the fact its easy to get a hold of one just like Sunday after I had gotten bored and decided to take the bike to the drags the night before as recently posted. LOL (to much fun)

Again to all its JM2C's
Kenneth

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#

Attachments

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
The thing with filters is if you ever catch anything worth catching, outside of the machines initial operation, the filter will be the least of your worries.

If a person has a warranty going, it's silly to save the 5.00 on an aftermarket filter just in case something did go badly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts