Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with the distributor of Cobrra Nemo 2 Chain Oiler to give us a group buy discount. This is one of the best and most simple chain oilers I've used. I have bought several over my life time. I liked this one so much I bought 2 of them. One for my Ninja and one for my CTX but I plan to buy more to go on my other chain drive bikes.

I posted a review of it here:
http://www.kawasakininja1000.com/forum/ninja-1000-parts-accessories/7033-cobrra-nemo-2-chain-oiler-install-review.html

Here is a Webbike World review here:
Cobrra Nemo 2 Chain Oiler Review - webBikeWorld

And a link to the product here:
Wheels and Wings, LLC US Importer of WILBERS Shocks for Motorcycles and Sportscars by HermanUSA - Cobrra Biker Products

We need a 10 bike minimum for the discounts to kick. Free shipping is included for all once we hit the 10 bike minimum.

10 sets minimum - 12 % discount + free shipping
15 sets - 15% discount + free shipping
25 sets - 20% + free shipping
50 sets - 30% + free shipping

Please note that if paying by PayPal there is a 3% surcharge. Sales tax will be collected if you live in Florida and depending on how your local jurisdiction handles internet purchases.

I will be posting to some other forums to try and get enough people involved to hit critical mass. Please post here or PM me directly if you are interested and how many you want. You will not get this discount directly by going to the distributor. I'll collect all the names and submit them and you can pay directly to the company.

For sake of full disclosure I receive nothing for doing this other than the same discount you'll get on the oilers. I plan to buy 2 more so we are 20% of the way there.

This is a great winter project. Even if you are almost clueless with mechanical things you can easily install this in less than an hour. If I were in a hurry, I could do this in 5 minutes now. Just remove a bolt from the clutch lever mount, slap on the reservoir, route the dispenser tube, fill with oil and test.

A 10% discount with free shipping is a good start. The Nemo 2 is almost never discounted from what I've seen. So take advantage of this good, possibly great, offer.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't correcting you sdk. :) I just realized I didn't have it in the original post and wanted to clarify for everyone else in case they didn't go to the websites.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd be interested in one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The PayPal surcharge is bullshit. I hope they get nailed for it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, that is like looking a gift horse in the mouth. The distributor isn't some giant corporation. It is pretty much a very small entity. They could have just given a lesser discount if that would make you happy.

So personally I don't hope "they get nailed with it". Herman is a great guy and has gone out of his way to help a lot of people. He is already selling a fair number of these and there isn't a huge margin on them. The PP surcharge isn't a profit center for him anyway. If we get enough sets ordered, he might even waive it.

I don't see it any different as gas stations having a cash or credit car price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DT--Maybe you could help me understand why I would need one of these things. Considering we have internally-lubricated chains, it seems to me the only reason to add oil to the outside is to prevent rust and possibly make the chain run quieter. Am I right? OTOH, if having an oiler also keeps the chain cleaner, then, that surely is a consideration. Any other benefits?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My experience has been they greatly extend chain life. Even though there is some lube inside, almost all manufacturers still call for lubing your chain. The internal lube does nothing for where the chain contacts the sprockets.

I can give you an apples to apples comparison for chain life. I had a 1k Vstrom that I rode a lot for ADV riding (think severe conditions - dirt, mud, dust, offroad, high speed highways, etc.). I used it pretty much the same every week. The first chain made it to 8k and failed catastrophically and almost killed me when it happened. I lubed that sucker every week at a minimum and on a long days ride about every 300 miles. The sprockets were pretty much shot too so I replaced the entire mess while on a trip and at the mercy of the local stealer.

I was shocked it lasted so little considering how well I took care of it. So I bought a TUTORO chain oiler. It was probably the simplest thing you could imagine gut I had to remember to turn it on and off each time I road. It was also more susceptible to different lube viscosity. It didn't hold too much either but still a far sight better than manually lubing the chain each time. Next chain went 27k miles with even harder use and the sprockets were still great. I sold the bike with almost 80k on it and the last chain was still looking good and sprockets fine.

That is my experience with a chain oiler in very severe conditions. It paid for itself within the first 4 months of ownership. I saved on lube costs and my chains and sprockets much longer. My ROI on the TUTORO was around 25:1 so it was a pretty good investment. Not to mention on the bike, an intense lube session running ATF would have the chain looking like I just cleaned it. Downside was there could be some significant fling but that bike's chain guard and fenders worked quite well. I saved a ton of time in lubing/cleaning the chain and that alone more than paid for the TUTORO. As much as I liked that device, I like the Nemo 2 even more. More expensive but nothing to remember to turn off. Forget on the TUTORO and you have a puddle of lube where you parked. It was still worth it to me and I got in the habit of turning it on/off in about a week or so.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
My experience has been they greatly extend chain life. Even though there is some lube inside, almost all manufacturers still call for lubing your chain. The internal lube does nothing for where the chain contacts the sprockets.

I can give you an apples to apples comparison for chain life. I had a 1k Vstrom that I rode a lot for ADV riding (think severe conditions - dirt, mud, dust, offroad, high speed highways, etc.). I used it pretty much the same every week. The first chain made it to 8k and failed catastrophically and almost killed me when it happened. I lubed that sucker every week at a minimum and on a long days ride about every 300 miles. The sprockets were pretty much shot too so I replaced the entire mess while on a trip and at the mercy of the local stealer.

I was shocked it lasted so little considering how well I took care of it. So I bought a TUTORO chain oiler. It was probably the simplest thing you could imagine gut I had to remember to turn it on and off each time I road. It was also more susceptible to different lube viscosity. It didn't hold too much either but still a far sight better than manually lubing the chain each time. Next chain went 27k miles with even harder use and the sprockets were still great. I sold the bike with almost 80k on it and the last chain was still looking good and sprockets fine.

That is my experience with a chain oiler in very severe conditions. It paid for itself within the first 4 months of ownership. I saved on lube costs and my chains and sprockets much longer. My ROI on the TUTORO was around 25:1 so it was a pretty good investment. Not to mention on the bike, an intense lube session running ATF would have the chain looking like I just cleaned it. Downside was there could be some significant fling but that bike's chain guard and fenders worked quite well. I saved a ton of time in lubing/cleaning the chain and that alone more than paid for the TUTORO. As much as I liked that device, I like the Nemo 2 even more. More expensive but nothing to remember to turn off. Forget on the TUTORO and you have a puddle of lube where you parked. It was still worth it to me and I got in the habit of turning it on/off in about a week or so.
I can't argue with that but my last Sprint ST had almost 50k miles when I wrecked it. I replaced the chain at about 25k miles only because it had so many miles on it and the sprockets were getting seriously worn out. I religiously lubed that chain every 500-1000 miles with no auto-oiler and only had to adjust that chain a few times.

You can take that as either:
a) I got lucky and had a great stock chain from the dealer when I bought the bike
or
b) I was REALLY easy on the bike for the first 25k miles
or
c) The bike itself was designed in such a way that the chains last a long time.

I think I was somewhere between a and b. :D I'm not a very aggressive rider but I went down to the Ozarks one year and, after that trip, there were zero chicken strips on my tires. God, I loved Rt. 341.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lubing the chain frequently does reduce wear on the sprockets as well. I used my 1000cc Vstrom as an illustration of a bike ridden in severe conditions. It spent quite a bit of time on non-paved surfaces in dirt, mud, water crossings, etc. That can really take a toll on the chain.

With the luber I just cranked up the lube and got rid of most the crap on the chain in short order. It was nice to not to have to spend a lot time stopping to clean the chain and to lube it. For me the time savings and cost of cans of chain lube very quickly pay for an auto oiler. The fact that it does a better job is just icing on the cake and with a 3x extension of the chain life was definitely a big savings for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DT--As you get to 10, or if you need just one more to reach 10, I will seriously consider joining the list. It's harder for me to justify since I don't put that many miles on my bikes and don't usually hang on to them for very long either. You could say I'm "on the fence" at this point.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure Ken - I'll let you know. Keep in mind this is VERY EASY to transfer to another bike. Depending on how you mounted it, it would come off in a matter of minutes. I could remove mine in less than a minute now.

Heck, I almost considered buying just some extra tubing and swapping it from bike to bike as I rode. It takes almost no time to unscrew the bolt for the clutch perch, take the Nemo off, put bolt back in and move to one of my other bikes.

Anyway we are up to 7 confirmed and 2 tentative.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds like a plan! If I were interested in this for the purpose of lubricating AND cleaning the chain, what lubricant would you choose? I've been using Maxima Chain Wax with the Grease Ninja applicator which seems to be a pretty good way to go. Of course, my M4 exhaust on the left side is really in the way of doing this job so the oiler could solve that problem.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had great luck running ATF. I use it based on someone who did an analysis of one of the top oils for lubing chains. It was remarkably close to ATF but a LOT more expensive when bought from them.

One plus is the low viscosity helps remove crud from the chain and new crud is less likely to stick.

·
Registered
127 Posts
count me in for one if we score the group buy discount.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I think we have 10 now confirmed thanks to some other forums I posted on. We have some maybes so we might even make 15 if they all come through. I am going through confirming with all those who said yes and checking with the maybes. If we actually hit 15, that is a 15% discount.

Please PM me if you are definitely in from before or want to jump in now that this is a done deal. I plan to send the list of forum members to the distributor this weekend.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As you know, I've been "on the fence" about this. Your idea of using ATF fluid is very interesting so, assuming that's not harmful to the o-rings and both lubricates and cleans the chain, I think I'm ready to join the group buy. DT, would you be willing to post some install tips and a few pics of your installation? I know you've done this kind of mod several times so it has become quite easy for you. Having never done one of these myself, I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks for organizing this buy!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts