Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit! Riding to work in rush hour traffic, coming up on a stop light, pulled the clutch in to downshift and the clutch cable snapped. I've got a 2015 with less than 7000 miles on it. The stupid thing should have lasted longer than this! It broke about 4 inches in from the clutch handle.

Nobody has this part in stock. Ordering it will take at least a week to get here. This kinda sucks.

Ok, I feel better now. :)

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Haha, I came close to that on my 650 a few months ago. I knew the cable was on it's way to failure, but I kept putting it off, thinking it'd hold out. As I was approaching work, the lever pull felt, well, odd. Once it was daylight out, I went on break, and took a look. Half of the cable had split! I've never done so many clutch-less up-shifts in my life, as I did on that ride home. :rolleyes: I was cursing out every red light along the way(more than normal). Lesson learned : once it starts to need lots of adjusting, and/or feeling gritty, huck it in the trash ASAP.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
We all should probably order one and keep it on hand for this sort of situation.
At the bare minimum, have one at home, as Kawi clutch cables seem to take a while to get. It took about a week to get mine. You'd think with all the dealers and shops in the Bay Area, it'd be easy to find one. NOPE. :mad:

·
Registered
709 Posts
At the bare minimum, have one at home, as Kawi clutch cables seem to take a while to get. It took about a week to get mine. You'd think with all the dealers and shops in the Bay Area, it'd be easy to find one. NOPE. :mad:
I wish I read this earlier. I must see if parts is open tomorrow at the dealer. I think it is. At least I can get the order in. Otherwise I'll be sweating this all weekend.

This clutch cable does stretch quite a bit in the first 3500 miles. The last time I showed it to the dealer I asked him where I could tighten it when I run out of adjustment. He said at that point they like to just replace the cable.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I guess ill get one ordered as mine has stretched quite a bit.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
When a dealer does not have a cable, it means it is not a high demand item.

What else happened?

Aftermarket levers? Bar risers?

Thats an odd area to have break and I cant recall anyone else ever having a cable go bad (this bike). Theres one lady on the z1000sx forum who has 80,000 miles on her machine.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
I dont this in a rude way, but you broke it. Meant only in the spirit of this thing being 40.00, so lets not damage it too...

The cable is not especially long with stock bars. Odds are, its getting stretched when the bars turn to the left, or getting kinked, somehow.

A cable does not stretch much, of any, once broken in. You do get clutch wear which makes it appear the cable is stretching.

When they break, its almost always right on the ends. If its anywhere else, its usually (always?) owner caused.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont this in a rude way, but you broke it. Meant only in the spirit of this thing being 40.00, so lets not damage it too...

The cable is not especially long with stock bars. Odds are, its getting stretched when the bars turn to the left, or getting kinked, somehow.

A cable does not stretch much, of any, once broken in. You do get clutch wear which makes it appear the cable is stretching.

When they break, its almost always right on the ends. If its anywhere else, its usually (always?) owner caused.
You're funny.

I didn't start this post to get into a pissing match with someone who seems to think I don't know how to take care of my bike like you (apparently) do. I started this because I was a little miffed that it broke when the bike is less than 2 years old and I was just venting. Hence the smiley at the end of my original post.

The cable is not stretched or kinked. I made very sure of that when I installed my risers. This is simply a case of a part breaking before it should have.

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Its your cable, and your money.

Rather than order one, get two. You'll save in postage. If you do the same thing, you will get the same result.

I'm not saying you dont know how to take care of your bike, and I dont know where that came from.

You said it broke 4 inches in. Go look at the perch, and measure 4 in in. See what happens there? Imagine a riser making that cable bend more than it was designed to bend.

Like I said. Do it again and get two. It will save time and postage.

Google "ninja 1000 broken clutch cable" and see what comes up.

Still sure you got the defective cable?

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
I don't know where you got such a negative vibe from me. Somehow, attitude , or intent does not type well. I never meant anything other than, "Heres what happened, from someone who has destroyed his fair share of expensive cables." Sorry for any other meaning you might have felt.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can see SDKoskey getting a little put off by a comment like "it's your fault." I know that's probably not how rcannon meant it, but it zero's in on the OP as being to blame.

SDKoskey, I am the newbie here, but I know rcannon can sound a bit, shall we say, curmudgeonly (meant in the nicest possible way RC).

Just imagine a grumpy old man getting all worked up about the government, the weather, the economy, ...and then you walk in. You just happened to be the person who caught some of the flying saliva as he cursed the world using words with lots of K's and F's.

Again, meant in the nicest possible way...:D

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Ive had great success, in life, by telling anyone who tried to help me f-off.

Ive never much cared how it sounded if someone was trying to guide me in the right direction and save me time, money, frustration or a towing bill? But that me.

This is not directed to our cable guy. I dont like idiots, in general.

I bought a heat gun from Harbour Freight. It turns on, and flames shot out of it. Now, I paid an entire 1.99 for it, but I got just about what I expected.

However, when I boy the Miluwakee gun, it plug sin. It heats things. But, I leave it in the rain. I just toss it in the toolbox. Once, when drunk, I even defecated on it.

When that gun fails a year later, is it correct to say I got a defective gun, or did some of my actions contribute to its early demise?

Then I bring it up in a public setting of how this gun is defective. Why do I bring it up, unless I'm looking for comments?

At some point, someone comments and says, "Hey stupid, if you dont leave the gun out, it might last longer. Keep it out of the rain. Dont s- on it...and such.

Now is a key learning moment. I can either say, "Hey, you might have a point. I'll think about that. Maybe find a better storage spot...."

Or, I can say, "Hey man...Its my heat gun, and my money. I'll do with it as I please. I dont need you tellin' me how to use my heat gun..."

Thats awesome, but if you dont want comment, or to hear the truth, dont bring it up?

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
I can see SDKoskey getting a little put off by a comment like "it's your fault." I know that's probably not how rcannon meant it, but it zero's in on the OP as being to blame.

SDKoskey, I am the newbie here, but I know rcannon can sound a bit, shall we say, curmudgeonly (meant in the nicest possible way RC).

Just imagine a grumpy old man getting all worked up about the government, the weather, the economy, ...and then you walk in. You just happened to be the person who caught some of the flying saliva as he cursed the world using words with lots of K's and F's.

Again, meant in the nicest possible way...:D
You described me to a T Ishikawi i been bitching about the government and the weather today lol was getting ready for a ride and it started storming.

Reactions: Ishikawa

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
When a dealer does not have a cable, it means it is not a high demand item.

What else happened?

Aftermarket levers? Bar risers?

Thats an odd area to have break and I cant recall anyone else ever having a cable go bad (this bike). Theres one lady on the z1000sx forum who has 80,000 miles on her machine.
Dam RC you nailed that one on the head risers and levers you must have ESP, my hats off to you, sounds like you might of diagnosed the problem, i would of wrote it off as the man had a weak cable. I wish i could use my head for more than a hat rack lol

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I learned from the 650's cable, if you're almost out of adjustment at the lever, something is wrong. Start over at that point, as if you've just put the cable on. Run the adjuster all the way in at the lever, then at the other end as well. Now do 99% of the adjusting at the clutch cover end. The lever adjustment should be for the fine tuning. I'm fairly certain that's how the cable on my 650 broke, as it broke right at the lever. Although, seems quite a few people have trouble with the cables on that bike. Haven't really seen that with the 1000 though. Either poor adjustments, or you got a bum one, or a combo of those plus the risers. No big deal either way. S**t happens, we break stuff, replace it and move on. :D

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Remember, with regards to our ninja 1000 cable, we have tons of adjustment room (tons???well....)

Down low, as the cable goes into the case. Theres another 1/2" you can work with. 12mm wrench is all thats needed. Way easier to do with that fairing side removed.

I like mine set to where theres only 3-4 threads showing, up top.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Old thread but helpful. Except for the bickering lol.
Good to hear others replaced clutch cables too.

I ordered a clutch cable Saturday, sounds like i should have ordered 2. 30k miles, something's up. If motorcycle cables act like bicycle cables, then replacing it should make things right again. (Yes, I am not a mechanic.)

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
What year is your bike , Jr tx? I can see the pre 2016 bikes breaking a cable, but in the later bikes, that's probably not going to happennunless the owner messed up. That new slipper clutch is really easy to pull, and the cable should last a lot longer than the earlier machines.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts