Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ninja N1k
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I’ve had my 2017 N1k for almost a year now. I love this bike but can’t get used to the stock clutch lever. I 2 finger clutch and I’m always smashing my ring finger. My question is do I go with the $30 Chinese levers or the over 100 levers with name brand like ASV. Just wonder if it’s worth the money. All aftermarket levers say they are cnc aluminum.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
I have shorty levers on my 2014. I did not go with the expensive brand name. I have had no issues with mine. Spent less the $35 for them.

·
Registered
870 Posts
All those CNC levers might look the same, but they are not. I've bought some really cheap ones off ebay and they typically have some niggles that needed to be dealt with. First the anodized color tend to fade. Even the most expensive ones fade to some extent. The ASVs I had on VFR1200F went from black to really dark brown. Not unattractively so, but faded nevertheless. The color makes a difference on how quickly they fade. Bright colors like red, yellow tend to fade faster. Never had green, so I dunno. Have blue on the track bunny, but it stays in the garage most of the time, so haven't faded yet. Black ones all tend to turn dark brown, some worst than others. The color that has been the most stable is titanium. I've had several pairs that I really couldn't tell any difference after years of use. So that's my first choice, if available.

Secondly, fit is sometimes iffey with cheap ebay levers. Most often there is too much slop in the level thickness where it goes into the perch. Easily fixed with some shims, but the fact you have to bother with that is a nuisance. Other times, the plunger spring could be the wrong fit. Either the hole is not bored to the right depth, of the spring isn't spec'ed correctly. The ones I've had were fixable but again, a hassle I'd rather not bother with. Finally, occasionally the contact pad that interact with the lever switch could be sized or position wrongs, so it doesn't work the microswitch correctly. The ASV brake lever had this same problem, too. Yet again, fixable but another hassle.

These days, I buy from a seller on Amazon called MZS. 3 pairs so far (maybe 4?) and they've all fitted and worked well. No fitment issues. 2-day delivery is great too, instead of the uncertainties of waiting on shipment from China.

Some levers like ASV do have the advantage of very fine adjustment, essentially stepless. That said, I've not had trouble finding a good setpoint with the typical 6-position clickers.

·
Registered
2017 Ninja N1k
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All those CNC levers might look the same, but they are not. I've bought some really cheap ones off ebay and they typically have some niggles that needed to be dealt with. First the anodized color tend to fade. Even the most expensive ones fade to some extent. The ASVs I had on VFR1200F went from black to really dark brown. Not unattractively so, but faded nevertheless. The color makes a difference on how quickly they fade. Bright colors like red, yellow tend to fade faster. Never had green, so I dunno. Have blue on the track bunny, but it stays in the garage most of the time, so haven't faded yet. Black ones all tend to turn dark brown, some worst than others. The color that has been the most stable is titanium. I've had several pairs that I really couldn't tell any difference after years of use. So that's my first choice, if available.

Secondly, fit is sometimes iffey with cheap ebay levers. Most often there is too much slop in the level thickness where it goes into the perch. Easily fixed with some shims, but the fact you have to bother with that is a nuisance. Other times, the plunger spring could be the wrong fit. Either the hole is not bored to the right depth, of the spring isn't spec'ed correctly. The ones I've had were fixable but again, a hassle I'd rather not bother with. Finally, occasionally the contact pad that interact with the lever switch could be sized or position wrongs, so it doesn't work the microswitch correctly. The ASV brake lever had this same problem, too. Yet again, fixable but another hassle.

These days, I buy from a seller on Amazon called MZS. 3 pairs so far (maybe 4?) and they've all fitted and worked well. No fitment issues. 2-day delivery is great too, instead of the uncertainties of waiting on shipment from China.
View attachment 31449

Some levers like ASV do have the advantage of very fine adjustment, essentially stepless. That said, I've not had trouble finding a good setpoint with the typical 6-position clickers.

Reactions: joescian

·
Registered
2017 Ninja N1k
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I saw MZS on Amazon but wasn’t sure about the quality for the cheap price

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went with Vortex V3 2.0 levers to replace the stock ones. The feel of the clutch lever is great as I found the stock lever just a bit long on the reach. Once I dialed in the ideal setting shifting is a delight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts