Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ninja1000sx
32 Posts
Just happened once again. I took my bike earlier to go shopping, everything was fine. Then I took it to go to my friends house and it reset itself. Since the bike is always in my garage. There's no possible interference as somebody said in this thread ( it would do it all the time I use the bike). I noticed that the lean and odometer when to "factory settings" it was not in the settings I always use. Clock went back to 1pm but the date was accurate. I will try to unplug the battery to see if it keeps the date accurate.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 1000SX
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Just happened once again. I took my bike earlier to go shopping, everything was fine. Then I took it to go to my friends house and it reset itself. Since the bike is always in my garage. There's no possible interference as somebody said in this thread ( it would do it all the time I use the bike). I noticed that the lean and odometer when to "factory settings" it was not in the settings I always use. Clock went back to 1pm but the date was accurate. I will try to unplug the battery to see if it keeps the date accurate.
Sounds like a Firmware update will fix this. It's some events that is triggering the reset.
While they are at it, please get the Firmware to grab the clock time from my cell phone (if I'm connected to Rideology App) and sync it with the clock. It's an easy thing to do, Kawasaki. You can do it.

Reactions: MicMac

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Another possibility...I haven't had this happen on my Ninja but I have seen it on a VFR I was nursing a 7 year old battery on. If the voltage to the electronics drops below about 10 volts when starting, it reset everything. The clock and trip meters were the main indication. The bike still cranked and started fine (if a bit slowly) but a new battery cured the problem. This could also be caused by a loose/weak ground or battery connection.

BTW, it's quite hard to measure the voltage during that short current pulse when the starter motor first engages and draws the most current.

Reactions: arthury and Oramac

·
Premium Member
15,204 Posts
Do you have a section or page number for this?
[/QUOTE

I didn't see this, until today. No idea how true it is, but it is in the electrical section. I believe it's in the first few pages.

Reactions: arthury

·
Registered
649 Posts
I didn't see this, until today. No idea how true it is, but it is in the electrical section. I believe it's in the first few pages.
Ah, found it in General Information page 53, as one of the seven reasons the ABS indicator may go on: "When the ABS has been subjected to strong electrical interference." I don't think this is causing the clock issue.

·
Premium Member
15,204 Posts
I'm sure you are right, but it's an awesome statement to put in there. It pretty well covers Kawasaki for any issue that can't be explained. Like we can argue against something like that?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm sure you are right, but it's an awesome statement to put in there. It pretty well covers Kawasaki for any issue that can't be explained. Like we can argue against something like that?
part of that CYA maybe! My dealer service manager needed to run full diagnostics before submitting a ticket to Kawasaki. Problem at the time, I didn't have the time to leave it. So we agreed I would watch the gauges during the startup and the next time it happened I would schedule for the diagnostics. He did log it with Kawasaki in the event it didn't happen again until the 1 year warranty expired, so I could then claim it on warranty. Now, here two years later and it hasn't happened since!

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
You mean like the Kawasaki break-in procedure? :ROFLMAO:
Yea like that, in 2006 I bought a 2006 ZX-14 (give me a ticket first red). The dealer was 1/8 mile from the interstate, I turned on to the I-17 south entrance ramp, and twisted the throttle with less than a mile on the odometer. A few shorts seconds later I was blending with traffic, in 3rd gear about to red line and speedo read about 135. So, at that point I figured it was about broke in, no need to read the manual..!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yea like that, in 2006 I bought a 2006 ZX-14 (give me a ticket first red). The dealer was 1/8 mile from the interstate, I turned on to the I-17 south entrance ramp, and twisted the throttle with less than a mile on the odometer. A few shorts seconds later I was blending with traffic, in 3rd gear about to red line and speedo read about 135. So, at that point I figured it was about broke in, no need to read the manual..!!!
That's......not exactly what I meant. :ROFLMAO: I meant that, at least for the recent bikes (2019-2022), Kawi has had the exact same procedure no matter which bike it is. The Vulcan 900, Ninja/Versys/Vulcan 650, ZX10R, and H2 all have the exact same break in procedure. I could understand having a similar procedure for similar engines, but not across the whole lineup. That's just the lawyers playing CYA at that point.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am positive that the "Break in" on bikes is just to try and get you to be going slow enough to notice something falling off or not right with the bike - Most bikes tell you for the life of the bike to avoid the rev limiter anyway

·
Premium Member
15,204 Posts
The best break in I ever saw was with a Asian family. They bought their kid a new KX80, dirt bike. The father was a really nice guy. Maybe even an engineer. Someone who wasn't going to listen to average people.

We tried to explain that a 600 mile break in wasn't written about the dirt bikes, but he wasn't having it.

The poor kid had to putt around a 5 mile loop until he reached somewhere near that figure...no odometer. It took several weekends. It got to be more annoying than funny. The top end should have been worn out, long before those miles, but due to the 1/4 throttle restriction, it was still running.

On a kx 80 1/4 throttle, and low rpm might be 4 horsepower. Maybe less. Who knows? No one does that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had the dash reset issue 2 times since I bought my N1Ksx new 1 year ago.

Both times, the bike was parkedat work in front of the shop and in the sun. Maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know.

I told my Kawa dealer about this, and they informed Kawasaki BeNeLux .They're going to replace the dash so they can investigate the problem and immediately check if the new dash also does this or not.

I'm going to share this topic with my dealer and Kawa, so please try to keep it about the resetting dash, guys 😉

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hope a new dash fixes yours. Mine was never sitting in the sun when the three resets occurred. Until a cause and fix is found, everything is a possibility, but other than the reset occurring, our other conditions are dissimilar enough that a finger cannot be pointed and it continues to be weird.

·
Premium Member
15,204 Posts
Eagle six, you area pilot...have you ever had radio inteference mess with your electronic instruments?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Eagle six, you area pilot...have you ever had radio inteference mess with your electronic instruments?
No never. I have had interference on the 2-way radio but not enough to prevent communications with ground, tower or center, just some annoying static sometimes. And never experienced any problems with navigational instruments. Is that a testimony of reliability or just my great fortune? With my limited experience with blowing **** up, interference wasn't a problem because we used mechanical detonators, but I am told by close sources that with remote radio detonators interference can be real. Now days I'm not carrying around C4 so of no concern (damn that C4 is great stuff!).

·
Registered
2022 SV650, 2022 Versys 650, (Past 2022 Z900RS, 2021 Ninja 1K SX SE)
120 Posts
The display is used on many tens of thousands of bikes now, so this time reset problem must be pretty rare or the Factory would have known a long time ago.
I wonder if the age old curse of bad earth bonding of the negative is behind this ? Perhaps a crack in the PC board ? That's hard to see for a Workshop spanner Man.

With the Australian Ford Focus two models back, there were law suit's re stalling, bad shifting from the dry dual clutch transmission.
Ford found so manufacturing faults in the contracted out transmission ECU's, which included dry solder joints, cracked component connections on the board.
They changed the manufacturing processes to fix what they found.
So hopefully, Kawasaki will sent the dash unit and ECU as a pair back to Japan for a deeper look.

Rob.

·
Registered
2021 1000SX, Akra slip on, KQR side cases, to be continued.....
85 Posts
Reset happened to me this week. Clock, lean angle, and background reset to black (I use white since it reflects less HiViz). Not sure if anything else reset. I know the trip odo didn't. Got to the end of Cherohala. Shut off the bike with the key, restarted and it restarted with the reset. Fortunately we were headed back the way we came and the lean angle got reset on the Dragon.:)
Also, crossed paths with jjscsix at the gas station in Tellico Plains. What are the odds......

41 - 60 of 67 Posts