Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a 2015 n1k about a month ago and have loved it. Coming from a FZ6R, this thing is a whole new feel. Suspension is lacking a little bit for me (~240 lbs.) but it is something I can deal with. Stock tires with about 1900 miles on them are almost shot but I want to put a 55 on the back anyway. One thing I cannot ignore, that has been happening since about 500 miles is there is a click coming from my front end which only happens when I depress the brake lever and am moving (fast or slow speeds). Pull the lever when stationary and nothing. I have a few guesses but no definitive answers at what this is and any guidance will be so helpful.

Could my suspension be too loose and causing me to bottom out under braking?
I read some stuff about possibly the brake pads moving in the caliper. Could it be this? This worries me since I am going on 1000 mile trip on Thursday.

Thanks,

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
To bottom the suspension, while braking? Thats a pretty big effort and certainly nothing you will do under normal conditions.

My brake line smacked into the fender and made a tapping sound.

What do you see? Look at the brake calipers? Any leaks? Loose parts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Typically a clicking noise under braking, or over a big bump braking or not, is steering head bearings.

I would be shocked if that is what it is on such a new bike, but you just never know.

Take it to a local shop, tell them you are concerned, and have a mechanic ride it and tell you what he thinks. Then whatever he says LISTEN...lol

Just super hard to say without riding it and having all the context clues riding it offers.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It also could be suspension related.
Tiny noises become harder clicks with all the elements inside.

If it is the suspension it will most likely be one of the valves, when it changes direction (from down to up). It is easy to check yourself with just standing still en pushing the bike in its forks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It also could be suspension related.
Tiny noises become harder clicks with all the elements inside.

If it is the suspension it will most likely be one of the valves, when it changes direction (from down to up). It is easy to check yourself with just standing still en pushing the bike in its forks.
I just do not see any chance in heck that someone could actually hear a suspension valve close...

Otherwise we would hear it at the end of every straightaway on TV.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Jay, I agree. I've never fork valving make noise. The shims dont move very far.

I have heard a fork make noise when the spring was finding its position, but that was immediately after it was taken apart and went away as fast as it appeared.

Also, by the time I ever blamed that, I would have checked many other things first. You'd have to assure me the steering head was ok, first.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I just do not see any chance in heck that someone could actually hear a suspension valve close...

Otherwise we would hear it at the end of every straightaway on TV.
I'll make a video of mine.
I have it on mine.

My front forks are just revised (in front of my eyes) and my suspension tuner showed me how the tiny noise became louder and louder when he installed new stuff in the tube, or tightened it.

I was wrong stating it was the valve that makes the noise. It is something else in the front forks (and it is not of the Bitubo kit, as we tested it in an other front fork of the same dimensions). He also tried a brand new kit in my forks, and the same noise was present.
We're fairly certain it is a part in the original forks that makes that noise.
And it only happens when the fluid changes direction, not when it bottoms out, not when it is going one way or another.
It doesn't affect the performance of the suspension, and it doesn't become louder over time (I have it for 2 years now).

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Please do video it....Id like to hear it.

We did not ask our OP is he has added any accessories. I've seen pics where people added lights, horns, etc that are for sure going to hit as the fork compresses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Please do video it....Id like to hear it.

We did not ask our OP is he has added any accessories. I've seen pics where people added lights, horns, etc that are for sure going to hit as the fork compresses.
If it isn't the steering head bearings, then it will become very hard to find the problem.

I know as I had 3 professionals spent a lot of time on my bike to find my noise problem.
The front forks + lighting unit makes every tiny noise a lot harder, and it is very hard to hear where the noise exactly comes from.

It will basically come down to putting everything off. Calipers, front forks, other accessoires etc ... to test each individual on noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To bottom the suspension, while braking? Thats a pretty big effort and certainly nothing you will do under normal conditions.

My brake line smacked into the fender and made a tapping sound.

What do you see? Look at the brake calipers? Any leaks? Loose parts?
Did not think I was bottoming the suspension but just wanted to throw it out there.

I see nothing out of place and I have gone over everything and it is all solid. I will have to have my girlfriend sit on the bike, roll it forward and then apply the brake so I can listen to exactly where the click is coming from.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention that I had dropped the front end 10mm previous since I did not like how the bike was turning in. This made a huge difference. Last night, I brought to bike back up 5mm since I did not like the space that was created between the upper triple and the clip on. During lunch today, I was messing with it and could not get it to make the clicking noise. So I took it out for a spirited test ride and the clicking is gone. Any ideas on how this could have fixed the problem? I am at a loss since I thought it was the brake pad having some slop in the caliper but moving the bike up would not have caused this to disappear.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I think its the brake line hitting the fender. It sounds like a drum when it happens.

The lowered fork gave the line more play???

Please re-check everything to be sure.

As far as the brake pad having slop, no way, unless something is wrong. They fit tight and snug.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think its the brake line hitting the fender. It sounds like a drum when it happens.

The lowered fork gave the line more play???

Please re-check everything to be sure.

As far as the brake pad having slop, no way, unless something is wrong. They fit tight and snug.
Well the click is still completely gone. I do not think it was the brake line though because it only happened when applying the brake when moving. If you just compressed the forks when it was stationary, no sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excess rotor button play that is now reduced since the bike has some miles on it and they are now gummed up a bit ?
Not likely since the sound had not changed in a while and was completely eliminated by raising the bike back up 5mm.

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
Lets go back to blaming YOU for a second. Its more fun. The line noise should have happened always, Id think???

You raised and lowered your forks. Unless you own a chimpanzee, this meant sticking your hands in there. I know my hands barely fit, and I had to trim a hex wrench to adjust mine.

Could you have hit/moved a wiring harness or moved something around?

I still cant quite picture a click sound, but ????

It sucks to pass sounds off s nothing, but what are you supposed to do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lets go back to blaming YOU for a second. Its more fun. The line noise should have happened always, Id think???

I was thinking the exact same thing.

You raised and lowered your forks. Unless you own a chimpanzee, this meant sticking your hands in there. I know my hands barely fit, and I had to trim a hex wrench to adjust mine.

Or you could have just taken your fairings off (I can do it in about 2 minutes now, only hard the first time) so the bolts can be torqued to spec when you are done.... you just tightened them by hand?

Could you have hit/moved a wiring harness or moved something around?

I did move everything around when I added my hids and projectors but I made sure that nothing was in the way or coming into contact when the forks were compressing.

I still cant quite picture a click sound, but ????

I wish I could describe it better but I really cannot. It sounded like my previous bike did when I changed pads and did not seed them properly but now it is gone so I do not think it could be that.

It sucks to pass sounds off s nothing, but what are you supposed to do?
What really can I do? The sound is gone and every single thing that I have checked so far is perfect... I am just going to move on and enjoy some riding.

Thanks for all the help and thoughts. :)

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I think we have to stop blaming you, which really sucks! LOL

Unless something was broken, the worry was what Jay said, and the steering head bearings. You can replace them, but its a pain.

Do you have a radiator guard?

If so, I'm thinking it stuck out enough that the 5mm lower setting let it contact it? I noticed how close mien is to the fender, with fork compressed, and thats what made me think of it.

I

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is okay to still blame me since clearly it was my doing. Just glad I fixed it without disassembling my whole front end!!!!

The bike is a month old with 2000 miles on it, I am 99% sure that the steering head bearings are not the problem.

I do not have a radiator guard, worthwhile investment?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts