·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Zaph

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Vendor seems to get good reviews on the item. It probably works just fine, but who knows for sure. $40 isn't too terrible of a gamble. If I was in the market for a gear indicator, I'd likely give it a whirl.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I could be interested in this, especially being plug-in. Please report your experience when you get the device installed. The secondary question is mounting/integrating it into the gauges/instruments. Pictures of solutions would be well received.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey sdkoskey what made you go with green LEDS looks good. just curious how big a hassle it is. I have your bike just a few years older (all black)

did you get rid of the typical labels on it? Mine is like only has Kawasaki on the tank but no one knows its a 1000.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Hey sdkoskey what made you go with green LEDS looks good. just curious how big a hassle it is. I have your bike just a few years older (all black)

did you get rid of the typical labels on it? Mine is like only has Kawasaki on the tank but no one knows its a 1000.
Check this thread

The biggest hassle for me was taking the entire front end of the bike apart and working out how I wanted the wiring to run. The lights themselves weren't as hard as I originally thought it would be. I went with these lights because I wanted the dual hi/low beams. That single headlight is next to useless.

On my tank, Ninja is painted in so couldn't remove it if I wanted to. I left the 1000 on the side fairings. The rest of the stickers are gone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok got it.

The good- seems to be very high quality, cable is soft and pliable, the tape in the back is 3m, it has the Kawasaki name in it!. Connector seems high quality too.

The bad- (this is me without knowing how the GIPro works, If someone can confirm on the Gipro behavior please reply) it is slow, takes some time when you change gear (.5sec).
Also- when going down, is either slower or stays in high number until you go to neutral.
Also - sometimes stays in the high number until you reset (turn key to off and on again).

The best is that it took very little time to connect and it looks really nice.

Verdict: BUY!

Reactions: Zaph and novaks47

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok more time with it, it is a bit slower downshifting but it works fine.

Also did some research and the other brands seem slow too.
So revised veredict.... SCORE!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tranny needs to be engaged and clutch too for it to change numbers.
I just wanted not too search for 6th gear.... LOL

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ok got it.

The bad- (this is me without knowing how the GIPro works, If someone can confirm on the Gipro behavior please reply) it is slow, takes some time when you change gear (.5sec).
Also- when going down, is either slower or stays in high number until you go to neutral.
Also - sometimes stays in the high number until you reset (turn key to off and on again).

The best is that it took very little time to connect and it looks really nice.

Verdict: BUY!

I have the GIPro DS Series and it was a breeze to connect, literally plug n play. As for the indicator sensing and displaying a gear change, it does so after the clutch is disengaged upon a gear shift (shifting up or down). So, the GIPro will take as much time as the rider will take in completing the gear shift process and disengaging the clutch. When downshifting more than one gear, the GIPro will display the intermediate gears too before settling on displaying the one you are riding in.

To sum up, it displays the selected gear only after you have disengaged the clutch.

I agree with you, the main aim for me to buy this was that I stop my perennial search for the 7th gear :D

Attaching a pic of my bike's instrument cluster.

Attachments

Reactions: CheetahTurbo

·
Registered
483 Posts
It (healtech) works if you don't use the clutch as well. I only use the clutch down and out of first. There is about .5 second delay on refresh.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dread, the knock-offs definitely work; the unknown variable is for how long. My riding buddy bought one of the Chinese knock-offs and had a few gremlins like it would not show the 5th gear. He took it to a local workshop and they fixed that. Now, after three months of usage he's got the same problem again. In addition, you never know how its going to react in the rain.

If you're lucky, the knock-offs will work fine. If you're doubly lucky they may last you as well. On the other hand if you get stuck with a defective piece (their QC is suspect, obviously), it leads to a lot of frustration and eventual decision to replace the knock-off with the real McCoy. My buddy just did.

And the GIPro will definitely show you the gear you're running your bike in. No slip-up, no gremlins, a true reading with every single shift. Yes, it takes about half a second to read the tranny and display the gear but that's something you get used to in the first ride itself. Its a real blessing to have it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dread,
I had just spent all I got on other items... so $40 was reasonable.

I wont buy the $140 one because this one does the same as the expensive one. the link I placed in ebay has the one I got and I think it is very nice.
time will tell. (install is super easy) ...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I REALLY like this mod that was posted over on rider forum and was thinking about getting it done.

The guy who does this is in Germany but is willing to do a "group batch" supposedly sometime in the next few months......i.e. you sending him your instrument panel and he installs it and sends it back to you.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts