Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a set of these on my bike mostly for daytime visibility use, but may also be useful as driving lights (haven't had a lot of chances to test them yet as I've been out of town and it's been pretty miserable hot here). The lights are nicer than I had hoped - small size, sharp looking (IMHO) projector type lens, switchable from yellow (which is what I use for daytime visibility) to bright white, and the light is quite bright, and focused very well with a well defined upper cutoff in both yellow or white modes, with the white mode being aimed higher, so it appears to have been set up for use as a high-beam driving light.

(just bought them 5 weeks ago, installed about 3 weeks ago, and they are currently showing as "not currently available", but I'm sure if anyone was interested they could find similar lights at a similar price on Amazon = they were $32 a pair, no wiring harness)

Used these brackets to mount them to my forks/fender mounts - the brackets allow me to use both fender screws on each side, as I did not want to crank down tightly on the fender bolts and crack the fenders - this way I was able to tighten the bolt mounting the lights to the bracket as much as I wanted, and use a lighter touch on the fender bolts, with some non-permanent loc tite.

$22 for a set of 10, and only needed 2, but they were the only/best option I could find for this purpose, and the size is pretty much dead on for the distance between fender bolts.

Needed some longer fender bolts and metal spacers, picked up at Ace Hardware for another $15 or so.

And this is the wiring harness and switch that I used:

So "all-in" at right about $100.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really like your setup. The fender bracket plates look pretty good too. The link you gave for the lights show them currently unavailable but the dual color light are very cool. I wasn't worried about cracking the fender with my single bolt setup but I am now, lol. Mine have been on for several years but I do like yours better. Great job!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas - here’s a couple more pics once installed

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Motorcycle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Removed the cap for the USB plug and double sided taped the switch there - not the cleanest looking but it works until and if I come up with something better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question, are the lights tied into the starter key? So when you turn the key off the lights are off?
Yep - installed an FZ1 Fuzeblock at the same time.
No way I could remember to shut the lights off manually every time I ride - especially as I put them on mainly for daytime visibility.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep - installed an FZ1 Fuzeblock at the same time.
No way I could remember to shut the lights off manually every time I ride - especially as I put them on mainly for daytime visibility.
View attachment 34795
I have run the FZ1 on almost every bike I have owned. I love 'em. I have used all six slots on the Ninja...GPS, Volt Meter/Temp, TPX Radar, Aux light, USB plug, Coax(heated gear). The Fuzeblock has a built in relay and all items can be switched to the ignition or unswitched. The USB port is the only unswitched that I run so it can charge my phone while sitting and not drain the battery.significantly

·
Premium Member
'12 Ninja 1000 (w/ late model KQR panniers), 03 KTM 525 EXC
207 Posts
Kinda like the Rowe PDM-60. I dig it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts