Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 N1K with 20k miles on it and am having issues with tightening the chain. Ive tightened it to the max setting and its tight in certain areas and others are still too loose...is it time for a new chain or am I missing something, the dealership where I bought it are a bunch of ftards and i wont be back there again. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Thats pretty normal with a used chain. It will develop tight and loose spots.

What else do you see? How do the sprocket teeth look?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what i can tell they seem to be normal...I'm thinking about replacing the chain and maybe the sprockets at the same time just to be sure...if I did should i go OEM or aftermarket, just want to make sure my bike is riding at peak performance and the chain is a major player in performance and safety.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Dont do a chain only with that kind of miles on the machine. Your old sprockets will tear it up in no time. At 5000 miles, you might pull it off, but not at 20.

Id never pay dealer prices for the chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you can often get a package deal for the 2 sprockets and the chain if you look on line.. witch is sometimes less expensive then buying them individually. I do agree with rcannon409 never pay dealer pricing, they ask way to much for these parts..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the advice...yeah i wont pay dealer prices for these parts nor will i go back to the dealer where i got the bike, they are aholes, great fun place, but ftards when it comes to their service dept, and they have one purpose there to make as much $ as possible, guess thats the name of the game but if I owned a dealership I would ensure that all the used bikes were thoroughly checked before anyone rode them off the lot...lesson learned and from now on I will only buy new from dealerships.

With that said, where online should i shop and what sprocket/chain should i get for this bike, I am planning on tuning it up, flashing the ECM, and putting aftermarket exhaust, probably a break job as well. I wish someone with experience with these bikes could ride mine and let me know based on performance which things need to be updated/replaced/checked etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
revzilla bto sports motosport.com all gave me great service. I havent changed my sprokets yet so I can't tell you wich on is best. I would get a ratio wich lowered the torque and added top speed to each gear. This way for the city Streets I might not have to shift up and down so often. the bike pulls plenty so i would'nt be worried about that. as for mods dépends what you want..if you want more speed and torque I would flash the ecu, add a power commander, after market exhauste, after market air filter and put it on a dyno but all this is pretty expensive .. I don't go on the track and use it on the Streets so mostly I like putting things to make it look nice and original.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just talked to a guy with a motodyno yesterday...he said that there are small gains to be had by flashing the ECU but you don't really need a power commander per say...Im definitely swapping out the chain and sprockets first, he said to go with a 520 conversion kit, which lowers the gearing ever so slightly. I do want to replace the entire exhaust because it is really bulky, im sure you can save alot of weight by putting a new one on from the headers. After that Ill put it up on his dyno to get it tuned with it on. Then off to Kung Fu Grip to dial in the suspension. I want this bike to ride to perfection with me on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the only bikes listed for the 520 chain conversion kit is the supersport models..cant seem to find one for the Ninja 1000...will the one for the ZX-10R fit fine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts