Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After feeling a couple skips in my chain I check tightness, I have a very tight spot and then very loose.
Also I noticed a red dust on the front of chain area. Not sure how many miles on chain, the bike has 11k I bought last year.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Tight and loose is a sure sign the "loose" section is approaching failure. Red dust = rust and a sign the chain was not well cared for. With a bit of regular maintenance any modern chain should give you at least twice life of that chain.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If this is an o-ring chain, which most likely it is, then the loose/tight sections mean some of the o-rings have failed.

Depending on OP's locale, rust by itself is not necessarily an automatic sign of impending failure. Here off the hot & extremely humid Gulf Coast, some of my chains rust just sitting in my garage, even though I'm very much on top of chain clean & lube. Even though the OEM chain still has a lot of life left, I just bought a premium replacement chain, so I don't have to deal with chain rust.

That said... since there are other signs of chain problem, OP's red dust most probably does mean trouble.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If this is an o-ring chain, which most likely it is, then the loose/tight sections mean some of the o-rings have failed.

Depending on OP's locale, rust by itself is not necessarily an automatic sign of impending failure. Here off the hot & extremely humid Gulf Coast, some of my chains rust just sitting in my garage, even though I'm very much on top of chain clean & lube. Even though the OEM chain still has a lot of life left, I just bought a premium replacement chain, so I don't have to deal with chain rust.

That said... since there are other signs of chain problem, OP's red dust most probably does mean trouble.
I agree on the rust. I had it do the same thing in Houston.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts