Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend for carrying a concealed weapon for protection while riding? I was thinking a shoulder holster under the jacket or maybe a small piece in the jacket pocket. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to mount one to the bike that is easy to get to and inconspicuous?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been trying different options this summer. My current go to is either tucked in my back pack or paddle holster on a belt under my Dainese riding gear that zips together. Neither of these options allow for any kind of fast draw. I have a shoulder rig but for that to work I'd like a smaller pistol (S&W MP Shield 40 is current carry piece). Just not liking the feeling of it in my armpit but I haven't went on a ride with it. Mounting it to the bike would be fine when I have no destination but I'm not a fan of everyone in the parking lot watching me arm myself before I go in the store. I've been looking into the Springfield 911 for a possible pocket carry gun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only in America would someone ask this question . . . (n)

Would you be able to explain to me how this question, regarding concealed weapons, fits into the category

Ninja 1000 General Discussion For all discussions related to the Kawasaki Ninja 1000.

J.H.C . . .
This is part of what makes America the greatest country on planet earth. Freedom! (for now anyway).

This question fits into the General Discussion heading because I ride a N1k and would like to know what methods people are using to carry on their N1k.

In the future if you are put off by a topic please, by all means, feel free to skip it and move on to one will allow you to contribute something useful.

God Bless America

·
Registered
11,279 Posts
I would recommend "suitcasing" or keister stashing the weapon. It will make you forget about how uncomfortable the seat is.

Murph, I used to buy precision air rifles/pistols from a place in Australia called "Potter Firearms". At the time, the American dollar was strong vs the Australian dollar. I could buy from them and resell here and make 25% profit. The firearms laws were too strict to work with, but air rifles and pistols were no problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any other suggestions? Is there a way to mount one to the bike that is easy to get to and inconspicuous?
I've carried multiple ways in the past. The best I prefer is to carry in the tank bag in a paddle holster. Concealed on person would be the best as then you are not exposing it when parked and leaving the bike. However I prefer not to carry on my person to avoid the risk of personal injury in the event of a spill. But there are time when I have carried on person when I knew I was going to a specific place. In general however, I can usually get the gun from the tank bag onto my strong side quickly with little exposure and little risk of detection by others.

There is no way to mount the gun to the bike, as in hard mounted, that I would be happy with. Maybe if you have a top hard lockable bag, but I only have a soft top bag and I find transferring from a tank bag to be better for me than from my top case.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I carry IWB at 3:00 which works fairly well. I have reasonable access when wearing a jacket, but very difficult access under rain or cold gear. My passenger's legs rest against it causing a little discomfort. I'm debating a shoulder holster but not sure how that would work, either.
I agree that you want to keep it on you, not mounted on the bike.

·
Registered
557 Posts
While this is a topic that is related to motorcycling, I agree it is not specific to Ninja 1000 and should probably be moved to another category.

IMO, concealed carry means others do not know/see you are carrying and how/where the CCW is carried. To me, this applies to disclosing/describing the same on public forum. If this were a restricted access forum, then I might feel differently. ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
My passenger's legs rest against it causing a little discomfort.
Have you tried the 3:30-4:00 position to alleviate the discomfort? For the most part, there are compromises with concealed carry, this might be worth a try if you haven't already explored it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While this is a topic that is related to motorcycling, I agree it is not specific to Ninja 1000 and should probably be moved to another category.

IMO, concealed carry means others do not know/see you are carrying and how/where the CCW is carried. To me, this applies to disclosing/describing the same on public forum. If this were a restricted access forum, then I might feel differently. ;)
If you have no real answers for my questions please don't pollute this thread with your bs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you have no real answers for my questions please don't pollute this thread with your bs.
If you ask a question on a public forum, you are gonna get answers; some you will like, others you might not. If you think my advice is BS, feel free to ignore it.

BTW, I was gonna say if you want my take on this topic I'd be more than happen to respond in a PM. Seeing as you already took offense, probably not.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You didn't answer my questions. You started in about the definition of concealed carry and that you believe the thread should be moved to another category. The only questions you answered were the ones you asked in your own head.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm simply cautioning against disclosing details that might be later used against you. Say you had an off and your CCW accidentally discharged and caused injury to another party. Then the plaintiff's lawyer found out your posted on open forum that you had some reservations about carrying in that manner, or maybe somebody else had warned you of potential safety concerns. That can be entered as evidence in a court of law.

A self defender is responsible for every word he says, same as every round that leaves the chamber of his defensive weapon. If we all understand that, then it's cool. There is no harm stating the obvious.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Point taken, but, I'll take my chances. Too many people up to no good these days.

I don't want to be a passive victim if attacked.

·
Registered
293 Posts
What do you recommend for carrying a concealed weapon for protection while riding? I was thinking a shoulder holster under the jacket or maybe a small piece in the jacket pocket. Any other suggestions? Is there a way to mount one to the bike that is easy to get to and inconspicuous?
I have not checked but the bike is likely the same as our other vehicles so no permit required in Texas. I am licensed and don't agree with paying for a constitutional right to protect myself when the ghetto thugs don't give a fugg about laws. .

I carry for the situation, always an LCP in a Nemesis pocket holster minimum. Since I don't ride without gear this is the most accessible location and my preference.

Visiting my former place of residence, the s'hole Houston, LCP in the pocket and G42 elsewhere on the bike but easily accessible. Obviously if I get knocked off the bike by peaceful protesters at a peaceful protest blocking the streets I have lost access to one weapon and that is an understood risk.

If I am seriously concerned about the surroundings I will have the above and a G43X IWB, not ideal but optional.

God Bless America and Texas

·
Registered
557 Posts
Point taken, but, I'll take my chances. Too many people up to no good these days.

I don't want to be a passive victim if attacked.
Fair enough. In that case, allow me to give you my $0.02. Motorcycling with a CCW presents some unique challenges normally not associated with pedestrian and car mode:

1. Carry you CCW on your person always. Comfort and potential impact injury issues can be mitigated with the right holster and method of carry. However, if you don't have your CCW on you, then it is just another weapon in storage. Even if the storage location is a tank bag right in front of you, it would still take substantially longer to draw it. In a SD situation, seconds count. Say you pull into a gas station, itself a transitional space where attacks are statistically very likely, you'd have to transfer the firearm from the storage location into your CCW location. You risk exposing your firearm, for which you can be charged for brandishing or improper exhibition of a firearm. It is a felony in some states and a misdemeanor in others. Thank goodness here in Texas, open carry law renders such inadvertent display perfectly legal. Still, the additional administrative steps increase risk of mishandling, especially while trying to be discrete and hurry the process, rather than being deliberate and methodical, like you should.

2. Minimize risk of ND. Unlike pedestrian and car mode, riding a motorcycle adds the very probable risk of an off. This mean what would otherwise constitute a secure CCW may not be when you are tumbling through the air and/or impacting object violently. The CCW might pull out of the holster and expose the trigger, or worse, exit the holster entirely. Consequently, I would strongly recommend carrying a firearm with a manual safety. Not only that, the manual safety must be recessed and take a very deliberate action to disengage. If you've ever handled something like S&W M&P Bodyguard 380, you'd know what I mean. Point being... if that firearm ever leaves the holster, accidental disengage of the manual safety should be magnitudes more difficult than accidental bumping of the trigger. Yes, this compromises the readiness of the CCW, but how likely are you to fire it while you are riding? As soon as you stop and transition to pedestrian mode, you can discretely disengage the safety one-handed and be back to full readiness.

3. Storage of firearm on bike. This could be a second pistol or even a compact carbine you choose to bring with you. Same precaution as in #2 above apply. When I totaled my VFR1200F, the top case went flying and landed some 40-50ft away and popped open. Had I stored a firearm in it, it would've gone through some wild tumbling. I would strongly advise against just stuffing the firearm into a carry holster and tossing it into the luggage. Take some time to secure it properly, and don't keep a round in the chamber. Again, this is a firearm in storage, not your primary on-person CCW. The time it takes to rack the action of a secondary weapon is worth the reduction in risk of ND while in storage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Fair enough. In that case, allow me to give you my $0.02. Motorcycling with a CCW presents some unique challenges normally not associated with pedestrian and car mode:
Supporting my case of pocket carry and backup or double backup with the cons of being separated from your secondary weapon(s).

Any first hand knowledge of an AD from a motorcyclist involved in a crash?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Accidental Discharge. However, some of us prefer to distinguish AD from ND. Negligent discharge is due to mal-practice of the person carrying it. AD is when a firearm goes off through no fault of - and could not have been mitigated by - the carrying person. That doe happen but is exceedingly rare. Most unintended firings are NDs.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Supporting my case of pocket carry and backup or double backup with the cons of being separated from your secondary weapon(s).
Method of carry... principally yes. The choice of CCW... let's just say I have differing preferences. As I mentioned, for motorcycle CCW, I'd recommend one with recessed manual safety. LCP does not. It also does not have a firing pin block, which IMO is an even more important must have for motorcycle CCW, for which drop safety should be elevated to the nth level. However, those are my considerations and my risk tolerance. Each individual self-defender will need to assess and determine his/her own. I know this is going to sound like I'm criticizing your choice, but it is most definitely not my intent.

If I'm gonna give my honest opinion, I'd rather it be just that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts