Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm buying a 2021 N1K and being in the US the only color available is black. However, I'd really like the iridescent green color that other markets are getting. Is there a place I can buy that color fairings, or would I have to get them custom painted? I'd be willing to have them custom painted but it'd be nice to get the OEM green fairings. I couldn't find anywhere online that sells them.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Did you look for them at a dealer in a country that has those colors?

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
Back in 2011, you could not get a 100% green ninja 1000. Kawasaki had all the parts, in green, but many of them were not imported into the usa. Similar to what you have here. Why would Kawasaki usa import a spare part green tank when they never sold the color combo here? They dont.

The only option was to find a country that sold the color you wanted, then order your replacement parts from a shop in that specific country. We were lucky because Canada had the green tank and side fairings. It was expensive, though. I would have your black bike wrapped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you look for them at a dealer in a country that has those colors?
I have not, but I will look into that- thank you!

Back in 2011, you could not get a 100% green ninja 1000. Kawasaki had all the parts, in green, but many of them were not imported into the usa. Similar to what you have here. Why would Kawasaki usa import a spare part green tank when they never sold the color combo here? They dont.

The only option was to find a country that sold the color you wanted, then order your replacement parts from a shop in that specific country. We were lucky because Canada had the green tank and side fairings. It was expensive, though. I would have your black bike wrapped.
Thank you for the advice, a wrap might be my best option. I didn't even consider that.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
I bought my 2012 and I wanted an all green bike. It was perfect because all I had to buy were the side fairings....kawasaki usa had those, in green, by 2013. Back then they were cheap. My total cost, for both was under 300.00.

One guy made an all green 2011. He ordered a tank, fairings, and back panal from Canada. Even back then then spent 2500.00. The dollar was strong, too.

I wonder how much a full wrap costs? Paint is bad because it looks like the owner crashed the bike, no matter how nice it is. A wrap doesnt have this stigma. You could do a wrap in real Kawasaki green and not the candy green BS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought my 2012 and I wanted an all green bike. It was perfect because all I had to buy were the side fairings....kawasaki usa had those, in green, by 2013. Back then they were cheap. My total cost, for both was under 300.00.

One guy made an all green 2011. He ordered a tank, fairings, and back panal from Canada. Even back then then spent 2500.00. The dollar was strong, too.

I wonder how much a full wrap costs? Paint is bad because it looks like the owner crashed the bike, no matter how nice it is. A wrap doesnt have this stigma. You could do a wrap in real Kawasaki green and not the candy green BS.
I'll have to look into the cost for a wrap, I'm not sure either. I do actually like the candy/iridescent green over the lime green on a bike, oddly enough. The lime green I think is a really cool strong color but it's just not my personal style, I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,455 Posts
The candy green is beautiful. That's what mine is. It's almost 10yrs old and people still stop and look at it. Kawasaki was really short sighted to not offer this color option. It's a free billboard for them. Better than free as I paid for it. I've had everyone comment on the color from young kids to people who were in their way to an embalming room. It gets noticed.

You know, with that said, heres one more reason for a wrap.

The candy green is an amazing color, but part of keeping this bike affordable, and light, means that the paint is thinner than the beef patty on one of McDonalds cheap hamburgers. I seriously think they may have painted the entire production run with 1 can of Krylon, and had enough left over for a picnic table. There isnt even any overspray....that would cost money.

I believe it's made from a base layer, the green tint, and a clear coat. Being so thin, it's impossible to touch up a small chip. I have no artistic ability, but even an artist would struggle. A wrap would protect the paint, as well as giving you the color you want. I'm sure the black is as thin?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
The candy green is an amazing color, but part of keeping this bike affordable, and light, means that the paint is thinner than the beef patty on one of McDonalds cheap hamburgers. I seriously think they may have painted the entire production run with 1 can of Krylon, and had enough left over for a picnic table. There isnt even any overspray....that would cost money.

I believe it's made from a base layer, the green tint, and a clear coat. Being so thin, it's impossible to touch up a small chip. I have no artistic ability, but even an artist would struggle. A wrap would protect the paint, as well as giving you the color you want. I'm sure the black is as thin?
Around here we call that green Moss or Mildew! :) Not my favorite as colors go but that's subjective.
What's not subjective is how thin and weak the paint is. After 10 years I'm surprised your Ninja has any paint on it. My 2011 Black Ninja's front end was mostly grayish looking because the black was completely worn away. Coming from years of Hondas I was really disappointed in the paint. The Blue '14 was better but even it chipped easier than any previous bike. Now my '18 has a BB sized chip out of the side of the tank that didn't come from any impact I know of. My 10 year old VFR paint was in way better shape than any of the Ninja's after a year.

Reactions: Crawsack

·
Registered
186 Posts
Once you find the part numbers of what you want, you might want to give WebBike Japan a shot. I've ordered a few unique non-US items from them, and they were definitely more expensive than if I could have ordered them in the U.S. That was mainly due to the shipping charges. However, when compared to the European ordering options at the time, they were quite a bit less; mainly due to the lower shipping costs. I would still advise checking the prices available from European sources, as exchange and shipping rates do change.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
You can buy these parts from a dealership overseas but do you have any idea what it's going to cost you? The fuel tank alone will easily run you $1,300. Along with the green fairings and shipping and taxes, you're easily looking at $3,000+. A reputable painter will probably charge you $1,000 to paint these parts. Go to a local Harley-Davidson dealership and ask them which painters they recommend. Most painters don't care what brand they're painting because to them it's business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can buy these parts from a dealership overseas but do you have any idea what it's going to cost you? The fuel tank alone will easily run you $1,300. Along with the green fairings and shipping and taxes, you're easily looking at $3,000+. A reputable painter will probably charge you $1,000 to paint these parts. Go to a local Harley-Davidson dealership and ask them which painters they recommend. Most painters don't care what brand they're painting because to them it's business.
I haven't looked into it but if it's going to be that costly I definitely wouldn't do it. Another poster suggested getting the parts wrapped with the color I want which I think would probably be a good option. I'm going to look into the costs once I have the bike. I may decide I like black and just not bother with it, we'll see.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Oh, and in addition to paying for taxes and shipping, there's also the cost of insurance (highly recommended). Should the (plastic) fairings get damaged, you're going to have to deal with an international company when filing and settling a claim (and who knows how long that would take).

The first thing I'd do with a solid black N1K is get some candy lime green rim stripes. After that, I'd get a few tasteful green graphics. Here are some ideas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Watch this guy put on some rim stripes. You can buy those rim stripes from tapeworks.com in several shades of green (including candy lime green). They sell it in 1/4" width, 3/8" width, and 1/2" width (or you can get the stripes straight from Kawasaki). See that special tool he's using? I've got that exact same tool. If you want, I'll loan it to you.

You can put the decals on yourself, too. The liquid he's using is basically water with 1% baby shampoo. As for that special squeegee he's using, I've got one just like it that you can also borrow.

The good news about the decals on this bike is A) you can buy them at a Kawasaki dealership, and B) they're specifically designed for the '20+ N1K.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
64 Posts
1617416662441.png
This is the 2020 model.

The decals for 2021 were changed to this:
20210308_124928.jpg

which I believe are available in the UK and Canada.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
He lives in the USA and said he's buying a 2021 in black. That being said, it's going to look like this. While I admit I don't know what the 2020-2021 models look like in other parts of the world (in terms of the colors and graphics), I think the green decals from the 2020 USA model I showed would look good on his bike. Maybe graphics from 2020-2021 models in other parts of the world would look good, too.,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hello all,

I'm buying a 2021 N1K and being in the US the only color available is black. However, I'd really like the iridescent green color that other markets are getting. Is there a place I can buy that color fairings, or would I have to get them custom painted? I'd be willing to have them custom painted but it'd be nice to get the OEM green fairings. I couldn't find anywhere online that sells them.
The more I look at that green '21, the more I want to say to just paint your bike green. It looks really good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts