Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
A gear indicator as a stock setup? Wow.....they finally caught up with simple technological improvements....

And the image of the moto....looks like it showed where the weight balance was? That's cool as hell

Have you taken it out at night? I'm in LOOOOOOOOOOVE with the lighting on the sides.....tell me more about that adaptive lighting

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A gear indicator as a stock setup? Wow.....they finally caught up with simple technological improvements....

And the image of the moto....looks like it showed where the weight balance was? That's cool as hell

Have you taken it out at night? I'm in LOOOOOOOOOOVE with the lighting on the sides.....tell me more about that adaptive lighting
Yep, a very large gear indicator. Nicely spaced gears, so it actually makes a difference in each gear. So much mid-range power that shifting is not as necessary. Second gear for the really tight stuff and third for the more open road. The quick shifter makes this even better.

The moto pic in the display shows acceleration and deceleration. It is more pictorial, so I really don't pay much attention to it. The side to side stuff is fun, and it has a max lean angle since last reset. I am only at 42left and 43right since it has new tires and I'm still breaking it in. Other things on the display are current boost on a linear scale and a choice of throttle position or braking pressure on a linear scale. These are mostly gimmicks, so I am in the touring screen most of the time which provides distance to empty, etc.

I have not been on a night ride yet. Soon.............

And don't forget one of the best features, cruise control. I have not been willing to use it much as I want to get above 1200 miles before I start using it. It is too important to vary RPM when breaking in an engine. I am going on a 250 mile ride in the hills along the coast on Saturday, so I will be above the 1200 mile mark by that point.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The fueling fix is fairly straightforward from what my tuner tells me. He confirms that fueling is never shut off completely during throttle-off at all RPM ranges. It is a bit time consuming, but it is just watching the fueling details during the dyno run. Also, he looks to see if they retard the timing during decel or throttle-off to eliminate the same thing. We shall see. As I said, the on-off throttle is much worse than the Ninja 1000, so it is a priority to me to get a pipe and tune on this thing.

The knock sensor is quite sensitive on this bike, so he has to get it right. I bought bad gas at a Chevron of all places, and it threw the bike in limp mode. Trust me, limp mode is quite scary as I could barely do 60 MPH on flat ground with no altitud. ECU reset can be done without external electronics, but is VERY time consuming.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
That fuel cut situation is why we all use Ivan....yes, I know he does not tune the h2sx, or the 2017.....not much choice, yet.

There was another tuner who said fuel does not shut off entirely.

Ivan did not get into an argument, he simply posted two links....

Fuel cut enabled:
(read his notes, below the video)

Fuel cut disabled:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I may have confused you with my comments. My tuner WILL confirm the fuel is never shut off during decel or throttle-off. Amazing what a simple missing word does.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Yes, makes sense now because the flash is about worthless if that does not happen.

It caught my eye because we all remember the power commander days when they told us to add 10% to the zero column....and that ended up giving us 110% ...of zero.....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
This tuner has an R1M. That bike is as bad as any with on-off throttle. He got rid of all of it on his R1M. I am hopeful. Ivan is incredible at this stuff, I hope this guy is at least very good. This herky-jerky crap sucks.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
With the h2sx, you have to give it a shot. What's the power gain by just removing the restrictions? I've seen people, with dyno charts, showing 30-40...thats pretty incredible.

Kawasaki is such a funny company. At times, as conservative as Honda, then they throw down something like the h2 series.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
With the h2sx, you have to give it a shot. What's the power gain by just removing the restrictions? I've seen people, with dyno charts, showing 30-40...thats pretty incredible.

Kawasaki is such a funny company. At times, as conservative as Honda, then they throw down something like the h2 series.
It is not like a "normal" bike where things get optimized for a few horsepower. Kawasaki clearly electronically restricted this bike, as seen by people only taking away the crap and getting 40hp. I think there is even more to gain as all the current charts are with stock exhaust. A full system and tune could be crazy on this bike. Hell, I know a guy that is getting near 270 to the tire on the standard H2 (not H2R).

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
A full system and tune could be crazy on this bike. Hell, I know a guy that is getting near 270 to the tire on the standard H2 (not H2R).
At a bike night in Houston I meet a h2 owner who had done a SC drive gear, full system, installed a intercooler and tuned. Think he ran out fuel pump at around 250 and that was next on his list.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
It is not like a "normal" bike where things get optimized for a few horsepower. Kawasaki clearly electronically restricted this bike, as seen by people only taking away the crap and getting 40hp. I think there is even more to gain as all the current charts are with stock exhaust. A full system and tune could be crazy on this bike. Hell, I know a guy that is getting near 270 to the tire on the standard H2 (not H2R).

Exactly, and to me, thats whats so exciting about this machine. Its still good, while being 100% emissions compliant.

Of course, a 250 hp, 1000cc bike will be tons of fun, but its way overpowered for any sort of normal use. Fun, but not at all necessary.

But, a 500cc, 125 hp bike would not fit in this category. Maybe we will see that? Or, an 800cc version. Anything is possible.

Once Kawasaki gets into their 3rd, or 4th generation of this motor it will get lighter and smaller.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I am hopeful they will do this to the Ninja 650. Rumor is the ZX6R will be killed off because of Euro4 and Kawi is thinking of some major upgrades for the Ninja 650. Either that or add one to the 400 and give us a light 100hp bike.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It would be pretty cool if they made a 140hp 400cc-500cc SC'd sport bike weighing about 300-350lbs. I'd buy it as a track bike in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
454 Posts
.....the flash would probably be murder on an H2 SX.....Ivan would need to recoup his cash for the bike.....and he'd know that the market would be kinda slim on ppl who can afford the bike.....only ballers like 57x have that kind of dough....so he'd hit them up for like 750 on a flash.....cuz he spends that much at an arcade on the weekend....

Reactions: Avintage69

·
Registered
454 Posts
@57x when you get bored with your new toy, sell it to me at a super discounted rate in 2 years :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ok, @DeV,
I finally rode the H2 SX SE at night (well almost dark anyway). Ignore the dang Adaptive Cornering Lights, the headlight on this thing is spectacular. The cornering lights are an added bonus. The standard light reaches well into the corner and the cornering lights add more just outside-top top of the standard light.

There is a "goofy" dummy panel in the right opening next to the headlight. When I pull the fairings to install a full exhaust system, I plan to make a mounting plate to hold a running light in that location. Yeah, it will be equally "goofy" but it should make the already great lighting on this thing even better.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
How can you not love this thing. 450 miles yesterday into Death Valley National Park. The bags we WAY overloaded. No sore butt. Hell, no sore anything. I averaged 52 MPG. Cruise control is fantastic. I finished the ride today with a short trip from there to Vegas.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
@57x, riding with a 18 N1K deep into the night I have much respect for Kawasaki switching to LEDs. With my LED projectors and his it was amazing what and how far I could see.

41 - 60 of 164 Posts