Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been fun guys, but the four things I so dislike about the N1K has had me looking for another bike for a year. I took the plunge when I got a crazy price for H2 SX SE, and a crazy high trade in amount for my N1K.

The four things I just could not get over:

1) Seat (and yes, I tried many others including Sargent, Kawi Gel, Corbin, and then back to the stocker)
2) Stupid *** axle adjusters. There is just no way to get the rear wheel square in these bikes
3) Shock. Terrible shock, and there are really no simple alternatives since the N1K shock is so damn long.
4) Transmission. They put such a nice transmission in the Versys, why can they not put it into the N1K?????

Not only do I get a super comfortable seat, but cruise control, tons of electronic toys, lights that actually light the road. I kept my KQR bags and am swapping the color trim kit to put on the H2. No, I didn't have to have 200hp, but what the hell. I wanted more power anyway.

I had a hot rod 2015 Mustang that I sold to do this. I want a fun bike way more than a car. Plus, I have a 68 Fairlane in the back 40 waiting to be put together.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Boom! First one converted LOL Really interested in hearing your impressions vs. the N1K. We all know it has more power but how does it compare otherwise?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Congrats! I'm also interested in hearing how it compares to the N1K. What's the on/off throttle like?
From the online reviews, it seems like that is a problem on this bike as well. That would be a big deal for me personally; without Ivan's flash, I would've sold my N1K two years ago LOL

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it has the dreaded on-off throttle. I am working on a solution. I hope it works.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congrats - sooo, do you have the Gel or Sargent seat for sale?

Just asking - LOL.....

·
Registered
282 Posts
I took the plunge when I got a crazy price for H2 SX SE

Do tell. :wink:

I'm tempted too, but a little concerned about a First Year model. Also I hear it produces tremendous heat.

I'm also thinking Kawasaki is on a Development fast track, so who knows what's next?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Pretty funny when I read the article I received in my email. Complaints are the seat, lack of wind protection and throttle response. Now, that sounds very familiar LOL. Doesn't sound like they learned much from the N1K.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do tell. :wink:

I'm tempted too, but a little concerned about a First Year model. Also I hear it produces tremendous heat.

I'm also thinking Kawasaki is on a Development fast track, so who knows what's next?
It was the regular H2 that has the severe heat issue. I have read many reviews that they fixed it on the H2 SX.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty funny when I read the article I received in my email. Complaints are the seat, lack of wind protection and throttle response. Now, that sounds very familiar LOL. Doesn't sound like they learned much from the N1K.
We will see on the seat. I would agree if they are talking about the seat on the regular H2 SX. That seat is quite uncomfortable. The H2 SX SE has a much nicer and wider seat. I still don't understand why they made two models. I cannot see anyone spending this much on a bike, only to leave out a bunch of really cool upgrades that would cost many thousands more to add yourself, if even possible.

I am heading over to pick the bike up shortly. They needed time to put it together and prep the bike. I needed time to pull the Akra and Ivan's off mine so I could put them on my girlfriends N1K. I am getting pretty damn good at swapping exhaust, removing the smog and putting in the Ivan's. I was able to do the swap for all of it without pulling the fairings off. I just had to loosen them. Not bad, four hours to swap from one bike to another, so almost like doing two in four hours.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yea, items like a seat or wind screen have never been a deal breaker for me; there are typically good aftermarket alternatives. Fueling is a whole different story since ECU flashes can get expensive and typically void warranty.

We will see on the seat. I would agree if they are talking about the seat on the regular H2 SX. That seat is quite uncomfortable. The H2 SX SE has a much nicer and wider seat. I still don't understand why they made two models. I cannot see anyone spending this much on a bike, only to leave out a bunch of really cool upgrades that would cost many thousands more to add yourself, if even possible.

I am heading over to pick the bike up shortly. They needed time to put it together and prep the bike. I needed time to pull the Akra and Ivan's off mine so I could put them on my girlfriends N1K. I am getting pretty damn good at swapping exhaust, removing the smog and putting in the Ivan's. I was able to do the swap for all of it without pulling the fairings off. I just had to loosen them. Not bad, four hours to swap from one bike to another, so almost like doing two in four hours.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
How bad was insurance on the new bike and congradulations on a super bike.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About the same as my N1K. People's Republic of California classify anything that is a liter bike with the word Ninja as a Superbike. Basically the same as a ZX10R. I was pissed when I got the price for the N1K as I replaced a Connie 14 at 25% of the insurance cost. Go figure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, whoever said the seat and windscreen sucked has not rode one of these. I put about 100 miles on it today and everything was fantastic. It was a windy day too. On the N1K, my *** begins the aching process which just gets worse as the miles progress. It was about 70 degrees today and I never had any heat issues. I think people are talking about the 'H2' model, not the H2 SX or the H2 SX SE.

I was super happy today other than once again hating the damn stock tires manufacturers put on. They are S21s, but clearly not the S21s I have had the last couple times on my N1K. I doubt I will make 500 miles on these tires before I throw them away. Save a buck and get someone hurt. Smart move.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congratulations! I envy you!

The only thing holding me back is the Insurance premiums on this bike. How much is your premium for full coverage if you do not mind me asking?

·
Registered
8 Posts

1) Seat (and yes, I tried many others including Sargent, Kawi Gel, Corbin, and then back to the stocker)
2) Stupid *** axle adjusters. There is just no way to get the rear wheel square in these bikes
3) Shock. Terrible shock, and there are really no simple alternatives since the N1K shock is so damn long.
4) Transmission. They put such a nice transmission in the Versys, why can they not put it into the N1K?????

Congrats on the new bike, may i ask what year n1k you got rid of?
Can anyone give me their view on points 2 and 4 please. Im considering a 2017/18 n1k and am curious to know if others have the same opinion.
Cheers,
Bane.

·
Registered
588 Posts

Congrats on the new bike, may i ask what year n1k you got rid of?
Can anyone give me their view on points 2 and 4 please. Im considering a 2017/18 n1k and am curious to know if others have the same opinion.
Cheers,
Bane.
Never had any problems with the axle adjusters and about the only time I have to fool with them is at tire change since the chain never seems to need adjustment once it is set. Transmission on this bike is as good as any I have ever owned. No problems with shifting for me.

However, I have to agree with point number three. The rear shock on my 2013 was inadequate. It was okay until you begin pushing the bike fast in corners.....then it wallowed too much. Getting it rebuilt with a new spring and valve by Traxxion made a huge difference!! The newer Ninja 1000 may have a better rear shock but I can not say for sure.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The transmission issue is the crappy gearing choices. I always considered this a four speed bike. 1st.....2nd.....3rd....bup.bup.bup sixth. Same with going down. The Versys has a nice wide ratio transmission. It helps if you go 1 up on the front and down 2 in the back, but still sucks.

The axle adjusters, if you really evaluate the axle you never have a straight rear axle, especially once the rotary blocks start to wear. Another thing that sucks is as you adjust them it changes your ride height and your wheelbase. All bikes change the wheelbase when adjusting, but damn stupid to change ride height. This damn kind of adjuster came from the old KZ900, and Kawasaki had a nostalgic moment when they added this. Isn't it interesting that the new KZ900 does not have these adjusters.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Points 2 through 4 are a complete non-issue to me. I actually quite like the suspension for the street; good enough for canyon runs and comfy on crappy roads. I'm only 160lbs though, so that may play part in it as well.

The fueling was the only deal breaker on my N1K but $300 fixed that and it is soso smooth now. Mine is a 2014. Tires sucked too but that's a wear item so doesn't really matter.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts