Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to upgrading the rear brake on my 2014. Bought a Brembro P32 and the Active Racing rear bracket for fitment. I have run into 2 problems that would love to have some advice.

1) The P32 mounts upside down so the banjo bolt position is towards the ground. The brake like is too short to reach. I have loosened all the brake line holders and there is still not enough slack to thread the banjo bolt.

2) The stock banjo bolt does not thread easily in the P32. Size seems right but the pitch seems off.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think I'm one of the last to give advise on this, but my immediate idea for 1) would be to replace the OEM brake line with braided at a sufficiant length, but you may have already replaced the OEM lines. I have no suggestion for 2).

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the HEL full length race line longer than OEM?
I found a M10 1.0 pitch banjo bolt for the P32. It’s also shorter than the OEM bolt.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
Have core Moto do a custom one. You can use a piece of tubing to get an exact spec, or just tell them "Stock line for ninja 1000, but 1 inch longer." My aftermarket line was long enough, barely, but I should have had one custom built. Core was fast. 2 or 3 days was all it took and the lines are higher quality than what the others use. I think spengler wanted me to wait 6 weeks for custom lines.

My line is a stock length Speigler. It works, but only because I have I rearsets. The master cylinder is a few mm closer to the caliper. Just dumb luck.

The japanese use an m10x1.25 bolt and brembo uses a m10x1.0. Core will also have the correct bolt. It looks the same, but it's just different enough to not work.

The conversion is a pain. Nothing fits, but it's well worth doing. I think mine will fit better if I turn the fitting on the master cylinder 180 degrees.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
I dont know if you noticed this, but the p32 caliper has the bleed bolt in the forward position. Mine did, as shipped.. It's the same thread as the banjo bolt, so you can switch positions and move the line to the front of the caliper. That saves some distance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks RC. I patterned my upgrade after yours. The thing about the Ninja that bothers me the most is the lack of feel in the rear brake. Also the stopping power. I use the front the most, but when I want or need to use the rear its lacking.

I'll post an update once its back together. Hopefully that is soon. Its great riding weather here.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
You'll put it all together and be.....I dont know.... Mine was better than stock, but something was still off. By this point, I stopped keeping mental notes over how much I spent and was still happy that the used 2010 zx10 rear master cylinder was only 10.00. That was the last year where Kawasaki attempted to use a correctly sized rear master on any of its bikes. Strange, but true.

I figured the stock bembo pads would be good, but they were junk. Once I added these pads, it was excellent. Not overly powerful, but excellent feel. You can lock the rear wheel, but it takes a lot of effort to do so. I would love to try it on an abs bike. I thi k it would be amazing.

It's the same rear caliper Honda uses on it's new 28,500 fireblade, so it's a quality part. No idea why they chose such wimpy pads to go along with it.

It was difficult to bleed. The bleeder should be up high, but it's as low as it can get. I used a power bleeder, but it would be easy enoigh to disconnect the caliper and hold it up while you bleed.

Hel makes excellent lines, too. I liked Core because of how quickly they made my custom stuff.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
You can see why I need a different line. I dont like the way the lower portion mounts. The fitting isnt bent enough to allow it to go above the bolt. This is either a Speigler, or Galfer. Both use such cheap, junky fittings that bending it isnt an option. It will snap.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So CORE moto does not make custom lines for our Ninjas with ABS. The ABS end is a threaded attachment. They only provide double banjo bolt ends. In discussions with Spiegler. I'll update with results.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of our rear ABS brake line.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
That hard piece isn't a big deal. You might find someone locally who could make it , but add length to it? You probably need the flexible piece to be longer?

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spiegler has a union (essentially) for the joining of the 2 brake line pieces. Their standard brake set is not long enough though and the bend angles for caliper attachment will not work for the P32 mount. Will have to be a custom line.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting that line out is a PAIN. So I'm going to forge ahead with the upgrade. (although I have thought about putting the OEM back on and just getting a set of Vesrah pads).

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
This upgrade is way better than just the pads. The stock rear poston to master cylinder ratio is really screwed up. You cant fix that with pads.

It's as if the factory really wanted to be sure no one ever locked up the rear wheel, on accident, so they dialed out all the feel and power. With abs, I'm not sure why, but they did.

The vesrah pads make it almost useable, but not good.

·
Premium Member
12,810 Posts
If speigler says 6 weeks, or such, I think I might look into the versys 1000 rear line. Not sure it would work, but its swingarm is longer than ours. Same crappy stock master cylinder and caliper. Maybe ebay has a picture of one?

This brake line stuff sucks. Too long is almost as bad as too short. Theres nowhere to stash extra length.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks RC for that idea. I'll look at the Versys brake diagram.

·
Premium Member
2014 Green N1K
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw that one. It looks too short for the caliper. The OEM on the 14 N1K is 26 inches. I need a 29.5-30 inch hose.

There is a ZX14 hose on eBay that looks like it might work.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If speigler says 6 weeks, or such, I think I might look into the versys 1000 rear line. Not sure it would work, but its swingarm is longer than ours. Same crappy stock master cylinder and caliper. Maybe ebay has a picture of one?

This brake line stuff sucks. Too long is almost as bad as too short. Theres nowhere to stash extra length.
Have you guys tried Core Moto for brake lines? Fast, easy to work with, excellent quality, the ends can be rotated to get the best angle. I won't buy lines from anyone else after I got my first set. They say they ship within 3 days. They shipped quickly on my custom length on my ZX12R

1 - 20 of 44 Posts