Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an NOS 2016 from a dealer in Manassas Virginia. All black: I'd have preferred a red one, but ...

So, here are my first impressions, having ridden it a total of 40 miles so far:
  • The throttle is waaay too abrupt at low speeds. An Ivan reflash is definitely in its future.
  • The rear brake as stock is useless. Only dragging your feet is worse. I use the rear brake a lot for stability at low speeds and trail braking. I've already installed Vesrah pads but haven't had the chance to try them yet.
  • The seat is terrible. It's not as bad as an old Guzzi Lario I had, which was like getting run out of town on a rail. But it's a close second. Sargent seat on the way.
  • After setting sag and fork damping, it seems to handle a lot better. Still a little flat footed, maybe. I'll try a higher profile rear tire when the time comes, and eventually take it in for a suspension tune.
  • The transmission is very sweet. Clutchless upshifts are a piece of cake, as is finding neutral and shifting down. Nice!
  • Much, much lighter feeling than my current ride, an FJR1300. Much more fun. With new tires, haven't tried any hard cornering yet.
  • Wind management is surprisingly good. No turbulence with the screen down, which is more than I can say for the FJR. We'll see how good we can make weather protection when it turns cooler.
  • Except for the heinously awful seat, comfort is pretty good. Good riding position (I'm 6'4"), don't seem to need bar risers or anything.
  • Except for the throttle issue, the engine is very nice. Smooth, powerful, with a nice surge above 6,000 or so RPM (couldn't bring myself to look at the tach once it got up on its hind legs). Whee!
  • Very decent engine heat management, again, unlike the FJR.
  • Requirement for 90 octane. Nobody sells 90 around here: it's 87, 89, and 93. Oh well, 93 it is.
Overall impression: A really nice bike let down a little by being built to a price. Overall, thumbs up!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Your concerns about the bike are not uncommon. I had to switch to a Sargent seat which was a massive improvement. Ivan's reflash is a must and you will be very pleased at the improvement in throttle response.

I have a 2013 which I bought new and still love riding. These bikes are very reliable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just picked up an NOS 2016 from a dealer in Manassas Virginia. All black: I'd have preferred a red one, but ...

So, here are my first impressions, having ridden it a total of 40 miles so far:
  • The throttle is waaay too abrupt at low speeds. An Ivan reflash is definitely in its future.
  • The rear brake as stock is useless. Only dragging your feet is worse. I use the rear brake a lot for stability at low speeds and trail braking. I've already installed Vesrah pads but haven't had the chance to try them yet.
  • The seat is terrible. It's not as bad as an old Guzzi Lario I had, which was like getting run out of town on a rail. But it's a close second. Sargent seat on the way.
  • After setting sag and fork damping, it seems to handle a lot better. Still a little flat footed, maybe. I'll try a higher profile rear tire when the time comes, and eventually take it in for a suspension tune.
  • The transmission is very sweet. Clutchless upshifts are a piece of cake, as is finding neutral and shifting down. Nice!
  • Much, much lighter feeling than my current ride, an FJR1300. Much more fun. With new tires, haven't tried any hard cornering yet.
  • Wind management is surprisingly good. No turbulence with the screen down, which is more than I can say for the FJR. We'll see how good we can make weather protection when it turns cooler.
  • Except for the heinously awful seat, comfort is pretty good. Good riding position (I'm 6'4"), don't seem to need bar risers or anything.
  • Except for the throttle issue, the engine is very nice. Smooth, powerful, with a nice surge above 6,000 or so RPM (couldn't bring myself to look at the tach once it got up on its hind legs). Whee!
  • Very decent engine heat management, again, unlike the FJR.
  • Requirement for 90 octane. Nobody sells 90 around here: it's 87, 89, and 93. Oh well, 93 it is.
Overall impression: A really nice bike let down a little by being built to a price. Overall, thumbs up!
Just curious how much were you able to land the bike for?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds just like you bought an N1K!! I have the same comparison to the FJR1300. I don't know about the rear brake for trail braking, but I use it on dirt and my 2020 seems to have plenty of rear brake for what I use it for, but no doubt the brakes aren't as good as other models. Hope you continue to enjoy it and with an Ivans tune it will be like a brand new bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts