Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I spent 5 hours yesterday taking apart my old tail tidy set up with signal lights to replace all of it with a new Blaster X intergated brake and turn signal such that now my Kawa panniers can be used. The old tail tidy moved the signal lights right into the way of them as I wrote about a few weeks ago. Anyway, when the rear assembly was hanging down and the license plate holder was also separated by the 4 hex bolts, I had all the proper connections made, tested all brake and signal function possibilities and every feature was working as it was supposed to. Reassembling it, I had one bitc h of a time getting the stupid plate holder up and another hand would have made a huge difference, but eventually I was able to finally get one nut to start treading and it was all I needed. Cue pending doom button: I then got the whole rear unit back into place and the fairing piece re-attached and bolted in, and ypu guessed it, after checking to ensure the lights were still functioning properly, they weren't. In fact, it was disaster, other than the front turn signals still working, not a single light was. I was so tired and frustrated, I just pushed the bike back in the shed and gave up. My first, and only thought at this point, is that somehow, the clumsy wiring setup that illuminates the license plate got pinched or something when getting re-attached. I was acutally aware of that in trying to deal get that part done, being vigilant of the wires, but now I think they might have gotten pinched or something disabling all the electrical flow to all lights. The first thing I'll do when I muster the energy again is to take that apart before once again taking the bolts out that connect the rear piece and just see if its the cause of the probablem and of course, I sure hope that's all it is as that would make it as easy as it'll get. By the way, as of yet, I haven't replaced the flasher relay I also ordered after reading that the rate would be strobe-like due to the little resistance offered by the LED light, but the first thing I noticed when I had it all working was that it wasn;t the case at all, that the signals looked to me to flashing at the same rate as the front turn signals were. Perplexed about that too and assume there's no connection to the non functioning lights when it was working fine. I was going to attack that on a second day of work anyway when also replacing my air filter with the K and N I have seeing asyou have to remove fairings to do that anyway. I'll look before going out there in a few hours to try again but any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
I here you. You need three hands to deal with the tail today/license plate holder piece.

This piece fits very tight. Make sure your wires go back into the channels when you connect them. If you don't, it's easy to smash the wiring and damage it.

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay guys, update that's full of nothing but good news. A motorcycle friend of mine who I ride with together or in our group came over after hearing my issues, and when I was taking the license holder apart, I noticed immediately that the 2 transparent plastic sleeves which circle the 2 copper wires leading to the plate light were shoved way up leaving them exposed and touching. I was hoping that taking care of that would solve the issue, but it didn't and so we opened the fuse boxes under the driver's seat and started going through them. Sure enough, one 7.5 amp fues was blown so we used a spare and badda bing, badda boom, all lights were immediately restored! We put it all back together, and he asked about the panniers-the main reason I got the damn light, right?-so got them out of the basement and we got all that taken care of too, so now everything is operational. Hopefully, this thread might help others avoid similar plights, and want to inform you guys NOT to buy the OEM flasher relay replacement from them, it's not necessary, the turn signal rate is the same as the unchanged front turn signals. I'll take some photos later on as I am hoping to ride in a while. The panniers look pretty spiffy, I must say, and Kawasaki did a great job in terms of integration issues. Kudos to Kawa.

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
You have to go back over your work and find out why the fuse was blown. Look for pinched or damaged wires in the attachment area. It's easy to do.

Plugging in a blaster x want blow fuses.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure it was the 2 copper wires leading to the plate light that being exposed, touched each other leading to the short, realizing that this morning when having a fresh look at all the wiring. I was very careful about the turn signal wires-all plug and play- and fed them through the brackets like before, and I even took electrical tape and bound all the wires leading form the brake light back to ensure neatness and prevent binding etcetera.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Okay guys, update that's full of nothing but good news. I noticed immediately that the 2 transparent plastic sleeves which circle the 2 copper wires leading to the plate light were shoved way up leaving them exposed and touching.
You have to go back over your work and find out why the fuse was blown. Look for pinched or damaged wires in the attachment area. It's easy to do.

Plugging in a blaster x want blow fuses.
The 2 touching wires shorting out maybe???? :)

Reactions: Ninja Raven

·
Premium Member
15,022 Posts
Think of how the bike is built. How the wires go into female plugs if they have power behind them.

With that in mind, you can't touch two open wires together unless you cut them yourself. The blaster x plugs in. No cutting necessary. Three plugs that are labeled. The worst mistake you can make would be to plug the left turn into the right lead. This wouldn't blow a fuse and there are no steps leaving open, live wires. Especially if the ignition is turned off.

That's why I suggested he go back and check his work. This is one of those situations where how is the more important question...not why. Why doesn't make sense, either. The plate light has simple plugs like everything else. When it's unplugged, it leaves behind female connectors that are powered.

The light plugs in to the factory connectors. Doing that wouldn't cover your two wires that touched and blew the fuse if that's what happened.. That's more the point.

That's why I suggested to go back and check, or you get to do the check on some dark, cold night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts