Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
That will depend on your budget but the trex stands are solid. Cyclegear stuff is great if you're just gonna be using it when you are working on your bike or washing it. I got my stand for $25 and use it when I'm changing oil or washing the bike. I think pitbulls are overpriced.

There are also jackstands, Abba stands, in recently bought a bursig stand that I primarily use for storage. Primarily bought it because I am gonna use it trackside too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are also jackstands, Abba stands, in recently bought a bursig stand that I primarily use for storage. Primarily bought it because I am gonna use it trackside too.
How do you like your Bursig so far? I am considering picking one of these up primarily for bike storage and movement. My garage is narrow and my driveway is sloped, so I've become accustomed to riding my bike in, throwing it on the jack, spinning it around, and then rolling against the wall until my next ride. I'm coming back to the sportier side of two wheels, so I won't be able to use my JS Jack for this anymore.

Any issues with small cracks or surface imperfections when moving?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I love it my bursig stand as its almost everything I would need. It also nice that during storage, it unloads the suspension.

If you can see on the pic, my garage is also tiny and its really inconvenient to spin the bike around or make as I like it to face the garage. Most people are hating on the bursig because of the price but I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, the price is rough for what it is, but it does appear to be the closest sport bike equivalent I can find to the JS Jack functionality (and it wasn't exactly cheap either). Quick, safe, easy lifting with full rolling capability.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you are interested in inexpensive: Harbor Freight sells an all aluminum for the rear.. I think it was around 30 bucks. I have had one for 2 bikes and 5several years and no issues.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I dropped my bike in my garage once trying to put it up on a rear stand, solo. I had a **** of a time trying to pick it up, because it just wants to slide on the smooth floor. I invested in a chain winch from Harbor Freight and suspended it from my garage ceiling. I also purchased a nylon lifting strap which I pass through the passenger grab bars and under the rear pillion. Before I put it on a stand, I suspend the rear wheel slightly using the hoist. It also gives me the confidence to clean & lube the chain with the engine running, thus saving a lot of time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dynamite Motorbike Stands

Only recently came across this bike stand online - not cheap, but certainly does seem to be an excellent product. It is an Australian business, but they ship internationally. Has anyone purchased one of these?

dynamoto

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't buy stand's just for the bike you have...lol You will have different bikes I promise you. Buy quality stands that work well because if the bike falls off cause they are cheap you saved nothing.

Always need a rear stand first. Don't buy a spool stand, or an under swingarm stand. Buy one that does both. I promise. Then the front stand. Pin stands are ok, but I really like my Pit Bull front stand with the counter weight and the two lifting pads on each side. It's very useful.

A quality ear stand and a cheap $20 WalMart red jack can do most jobs. Just need a way to tie down the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Jay is right on the stand. However, do this as a buy it once sort of thing.

Five years from now, you won't remember if you paid 199.00 for a quality stand, but you'll still hate your 65,00 bolt together stand that loosens each time you use it.

Full sized street bikes are too heavy for a bolt on handle. If it is shipped, and needs to be assembled, be very cautious.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Jay is right on the stand. However, do this as a buy it once sort of thing.

Five years from now, you won't remember if you paid 199.00 for a quality stand, but you'll still hate your 65,00 bolt together stand that loosens each time you use it.

Full sized street bikes are too heavy for a bolt on handle. If it is shipped, and needs to be assembled, be very cautious.
You nailed it. A good stand you will have forever, and use on any bike. I tried a cheapy bolt-together stand, regretted it, and dropped the cash on a Pitbull. The Pitbull has been outdoors since day one, and I live near the coast, so anything that isn't painted or quality will rust/corrode in a matter of months. After about a year of owning the Pitbull, it still looks new. Plus it's actually stable with the N1K on it. With all the cash we put into buying, farkling, and maintaining a moto, what's a $150-200 stand? Mere pennies by comparison.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks for posting I had this question too.

Can you get a non-spool rear stand? What pitbull would you recommend to use without spools?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went with a Pit Bull which is adjustable in terms of width so you have to play with it at first to line up the hooks with the spools.

But overall very secure and stable.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a set of pit bulls and they are great. My rear stand does both spools and just an under the swingarm lift. Very handy. It's up at the shop now and see's daily use.

The Pit bull front stand I have has two rubber coated pins on each side and is meant to have one pin under the bottom of the fork leg, and the other pin rested against the brake caliper mount. It takes some skill to use, and does not work on every bike (the bikes that have unequal length front forks can be a problem) but I really like it.

Quality stands, well worth the money. Plus if you use them to yank the wheels for tire changes they will quickly pay for them self.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Novak, it's so easy, for me, to come across as a know it all, a snob, etc for offering advise like that on a stand, for a high end shock, or what ever.

I did the same thing on a stand. Amazon had one for 47.00, shipped, so I bought it.

After each and every lift, the handle was loose. The bike was never quite secure when it was in the air.

I tossed it. Great. Now I'm in my pitbull 200.00 instead of 150.

This sort of thing gets expensive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts