Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
One I thought that was neat is "The Bike Shield" maybe a little more than just a cover but worth a mention. Also saw a demo somewhere of "Seal Covers" and really liked the thickness of the cover and fleece lining. Looked like a quality product.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use my bike just once or twice a week. Though I have a basement parking, the bike tends to collect dust.

Any recommendations for a good bike cover? Have ordered the Oxford Racing Aquatex, any feedback or alternatives?

I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dust

I just throw a large towel over the tank and windshield in the garage,...then remove the dust with Meguirs instant detailer when I remove the towel...works fine......

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just ride every day and dust buildup will be negligible. :) The downside is riding adds its own chips and dings so @ 62k miles I really don't care much about a little dust.

I do occasional wood working projects in the garage and like mrsand, toss a couple towels over the windscreen, tank, seat & tail.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally find it much easier to clean dust off a motorcycle than removing the scratches a bike cover will leave on the shiny surfaces it comes in contact with... the fine dust is like sandpaper...
If you are still looking for one, then you should look at one that's more like a tent than the regular ones you see on Amazon/elsewhere... but that's just me...

What I did was to cover the painted surfaces with 3M paint protection film on the tank and a vinyl carbonfiber weave onto the high traffic parts of the fairing...
The tank was a pain to do in one piece because of the paint protection film being stubborn (and I did not want to use a heatgun for fear of compromising the adhesive). I ended up doing it as a 2-part.
Had to do it myself because the local 3M detailing shop would not do it...

That 3M film was worth the money... had a gloss just like the paint and is pretty hard wearing.. Unless you look closely you'd not know it's there.
I think a cover that has heat resistance and the right deflection property will not create scratches. Lets see...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agurudev, I'm also looking for a cover which packs super-small for road trips- have you checked out the Geza Gear products? Lots of fabric options (including solar reflective!), custom fitted, and excellent quality: GEZA GEAR | Stretch Fit Custom Motorcycle Covers
I got the Aquatex and it is good but does not have any lining on the inside, basically it is meant more for wet weather protection than dust. For now, I am using this and it rolls up pretty compact though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use an Oxford Dormex size medium when the bike is in the garage. It’s breathable, so it doesn’t trap moisture, but keeps the dust off.

For trips, I bring an Oxford Umbratex size XL. It packs down super small and fits in the panniers even with a full liner bag in there. The XL is a perfect fit to cover the bike with the side cases on. The size large fits the bike well without the side cases on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts