Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CBR1000RR, '18 CBR1000RR SP, '21 Ninja 1000SX
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best tail-tidy you would recommend for a 2021 1000SX ?
I usually do not bother myself with tail-tidy but I'm getting tired of the long tail that is interfering when hooking up the rear stand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You will have more choices without bags.
I might suggest whatever you get, make sure the lights and turn signals are bright enough to catch attention of car drivers who won't be looking at any tiny lights. So many indicators are technically lightbulbs, but are barely visible. It could keep you from being rear ended.
I have the bags and have the RG eliminator which uses tha stock turn signals. I changed them to very bright led bulbs.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Biker guy, do you remember what bulbs you used? Mine are a few years old. Il bet I didnt pay over 2.00 for them, and I think they sent 6 bulbs. Mine were very similar to the 1156 bulbs, but one pin was offset.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the OEM signal lights are pretty bright; so, I'm trying to find a tail-tidy that can retain the use of the factory signal lights.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went for the Yoshimura Tail Tidy. Works great with the bags
I saw the reviews in Revzilla and there were some complaints about the lack of instructions for installation and wirings were too long and showing up on the side.
Have they solved these issues when you installed yours?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw the reviews in Revzilla and there were some complaints about the lack of instructions for installation and wirings were too long and showing up on the side.
Have they solved these issues when you installed yours?
Install went fine for me but there were a couple of things to note on the instructions. The wire colors indicating polarity were incorrect prompting a call to customer service. The other thing is that turn signals are mounted reverse to factory so when you plug them into the harnesses you have to reverse them. Neither was mentioned in the instructions but I figured it out. The LED license lights are bright and clean white color. I do not remember an issue with wire length but if they were too long I probably just trimmed them. Too long is way better than too short, Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
170 Posts
... I'm getting tired of the long tail that is interfering when hooking up the rear stand.
I just removed the registration/number plate and used a hacksaw to cut the fender/mud guard off at that point.
Reinstalled the number plate and it's amazing how much better it looks without the tail hanging below.
Took about 10 minutes.
Edit: I'm guessing that using a small angle grinder with a cutting wheel would be even easier.
It might be worth smoothing off the cut end with a file, but I didn't bother as it's hidden behind the plate anyway (also couldn't find my file :rolleyes: at the time)

Reactions: Oramac

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
170 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just removed the registration/number plate and used a hacksaw to cut the fender/mud guard off at that point.
Reinstalled the number plate and it's amazing how much better it looks without the tail hanging below.
Took about 10 minutes.
Edit: I'm guessing that using a small angle grinder with a cutting wheel would be even easier.
It might be worth smoothing off the cut end with a file, but I didn't bother as it's hidden behind the plate anyway (also couldn't find my file :rolleyes: at the time)
Yup, that'll do it, too.
Nicely thought out.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
Mic, yours isnt that much different from something you would buy, is it? I like it. The only thing I notice is you do not have a rear reflector. I know thats a nothing, but I was stopped once in a dui check point. The a-holes gave me a written warning for not having one. No big deal, except I HAD to fix it and show proof of the repair. Since then, I've kept one in place, or used a reflector tail light frame. Stupid, I know, but it beats the fix it ticket.

I have a Muzzy branded part. It's not available anymore, but if you used something like mine, it would place the signals between the bags, and if they wouldnt fit.

My advise would be this. Pay attention to how the wiring has recessed spots to hold the wires that go to the rear signals and the rear light. If you route them properly, everything fits together, perfectly. If you dont get them back into the channels, its difficult to attach the new tail tidy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mic, yours isnt that much different from something you would buy, is it? I like it. The only thing I notice is you do not have a rear reflector. I know thats a nothing, but I was stopped once in a dui check point. The a-holes gave me a written warning for not having one. No big deal, except I HAD to fix it and show proof of the repair. Since then, I've kept one in place, or used a reflector tail light frame. Stupid, I know, but it beats the fix it ticket.
I am actually about to cut my tail piece and when I do I am going to run strip of aluminum on the bottom of the number plate with a reflector attached directly under the plate a nice slime rectangle one. I wouldn't have worried but the police here have been complete jerks when they pull you over and have nothing on you they go for anything.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ninja 1000 SX
170 Posts
I didn't worry about having a rear reflector as the police around here don't appear to be as 'heavy handed' as in other jurisdictions. Even if they know that the reflector is a requirement under the vehicle code, they probably have better things to do.

The first thing I did when I got my bike home was remove the ugly, useless reflectors on the bottom of the fork legs - have done this on all the bikes I've owned that had them.

I think the requirement for the various reflectors are a hang-over from the glorious old days when Lucas was known as 'the Prince of Darkness'

Minlak's idea is sensible, but I haven't been pulled over by the police since I resumed riding 15 years ago so I will risk it for now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just installed the MotoDynamics fender eliminator.

It looks quite tidy now but they need to:
  • improve the installation instructions, in its current form, it assumes too many things. Instructions are very skimpy. I had to look up Jonathan Long's video to supplement.
  • wires originating from signals lights are visible before they enters underneath the seat.

Well, my main aim to hook up my PitBull rear stand without obstruction, lowering the risks of dropping the bike, was accomplished.
Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts